Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 30 Nov 19, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Your tips and time savers for Christmas dinner

I'll start
Now We as a family reuse recycle compost as much as we can so on this thread please no negative comments
Christmas Day is the one day we use disposables
As time is the one thing you can't bank
1 disposable trays for the turkey Rib Roast roast potatoes and roast parsnips
I'm too mean to roast the ham I want the stock from boiling it for the Lentil soup at New Year it's done the night before and tarted up with a glaze in a very very hot oven in a roasting tin use your slow cooker to keep things hot even just the gravy you made from the chicken stock you had made last or mash potatoes thecheese sauce for cauliflower
Or to keep things separate for those with allergies
2 apart from Christmas pudding starters and desserts are cold either made the day before or assembled
3 take all help that's offered even iif it's what can I bring / do this might be wine nice coffee made mince pies , cheese and crackers etc to crackers for the table or organise games bring a family favorite
Movie
4 encourage every body to bring containers to take left overs home even save clean take out containers to give them at least they have been reused once
Set the table the night before label all your serving dishes with what goes in them saves the mum what dish do I put this in yes this saves time and frustration
5 set the timefor guests to arrive and leave and stick to it then you can enjoy the turkey stuffing and cranberry relish sandwich with a glass of wine
Cause you've not eaten anything all day ( this is the second best bit for me sat on the sofa with DH in my new Pjs and the dogs beside us ) with a movie old or new
Let's here yours

Edited at 02:31 AM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I also use a disposable tray for the turkey and like you it's the only time of the year I do.

I make the gravy about a week before and freeze it the red cabbage is made on Christmas Eve and all the veg is also prepared on Christmas Eve.

There isn't usually much left over as I only really do enough to suit our appetites but anything that is goes into plastic tubs.

Table is set on Christmas Eve so nothing much to do on Christmas morning.

Although this year we're going to our son and daughter in law for Christmas Day so no stress 😀
Old 30 Nov 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I prep all the veg Christmas eve,
Gammon is cooked on Christmas eve in slow cooker.
Table laid Christmas eve
Foil trays for Roast potatoes and parsnips
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We too prep everything on Christmas Eve. Peeling veg watching a film is our normal now 😀. We also do the Yorkshire puddings (controversial I know but we live in Leeds) the night before then we can pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes as we are serving everything up. I have a list with the order everything needs to go in the oven and timings so it’s easy to follow. It’s stressful cooking for 12 but I wouldn’t have it any other way
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Always do three puds including apple pie plus ice cream. For the pie. Make the pastry ahead, roll out to two rounds larger than the pie dish. Place on chopping board with greaseproof between and freeze. Then on the day or even Christmas Eve, peel apples and into water and lemon juice. Then Christmas Day, take pastry out of freezer. Drain, cinnamon and cornflour. Larger round on to pie dish, filling in, flat top one, and milk/sugar top. Cook whilst eating main course. Sounds a lot written out but isn’t really.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Yep another one here who preps everything Christmas eve, it's the way my mums always done it too. Few tips I may steal here though 😁
disney_l81 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Apprentice Imagineer

Given the choice (I'm not), I'd eat a frozen pizza (cooked). We eat out so very time-saving and as we now go to Bella Italia I even get pizza for Christmas dinner. Win-win. I do not understand the Christmas dinner thing and never will. Christmas Day is the most tedious day of the year for me.

Enjoy yours though!

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List