Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 2 Dec 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Lightsabre and Droid Builds

Hi all,

A little advice needed. We are going next year for dhs 50th and 16th and they both want to build droids, I thought this would be simple they would just go in and build them but it seems that we should book this and the lightsabre for dh.

My questions are:
Is booking actually nessecary?
Can both the droid and lightsabre fit in standard luggage?
When can we book, is it 180 days?
How long roughly does it take? Wondering if we should book the droids and lightsabre on different days?

Thanks for any answers
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We booked both but cancelled the droid . Ds changed his mind when he saw them and decided he would t use it once home . The lightsaber was a brilliant experience and he removed the hilt and carried the blade in its pouch as hand luggage on both delta and virgin on the way home .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
We booked both but cancelled the droid . Ds changed his mind when he saw them and decided he would t use it once home . The lightsaber was a brilliant experience and he removed the hilt and carried the blade in its pouch as hand luggage on both delta and virgin on the way home .
Hello, sorry sneaking in here! Was the blade in its pouch the only piece of hand luggage for that person or did they have a bag too? Thanks!
Old 3 Dec 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn’t turn up without a reservation, but perhaps you could try for a reservation on the day? Or choose a day to go and book it now, you can always cancel if you change your mind so long as you do so in time (24 hours). I booked ours a couple of weeks ago and you should be able to see my countdown.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyismybff
Excited about Disney

We did the lightsaber build at Savi's and brought it home as hand luggage as it did not fit inside our biggest case, even taken apart and even on an angle across the bag.
(This is my suitcase, if you need to check dimensions: shopdisney/america...484785304.html)

The droid would have fit inside without trouble, and indeed we have randomly travelled with a BB8 droid of similar size.

Both have batteries but not lithium, so should be fine to check if they fit in your luggage. (Lightsaber is three AAA batteries. We got ours over October half-term and have just replaced them for the first time this week.)

They give you a (very basic) case for it as you leave, so you can carry it around the parks slung round your back, and that's how we took it home. Didn't take it apart, didn't count it as its own bag or anything. We each had our normal carry ons too and just carried that with us and on both planes, the flight attendants knew where to put it. It went in the overheads at the back of one plane and on the other it went on the floor behind the back row of middle seats.

You do have to be careful not to leave it anywhere, because though it's not exactly small, it's easy to put it down somewhere a bit hidden and then forget to pick it up.

In the park, it doesn't fit in a locker but it does fit on all the rides basically. It fits across the floor of the Slinky Dog car with no problem, etc. The CMs pretty much saw us coming at every turn and gave us instructions before we even asked.

You can book up to 180 days out, though there are a limited number of spaces on the day. The booked version gives you a set time so you're not waiting around. Our whole experience from check in to finish was 45 minutes, and some of that was outside choosing which pieces of scrap metal we wanted and waiting our turn. Build is about 20 minutes and goes very quickly, then they get you out fast. You get a +1 to go in so they should take pictures as you go, because they don't give you time for pictures once you're done.
mickeyismybff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mackenzies03 View Post
Hello, sorry sneaking in here! Was the blade in its pouch the only piece of hand luggage for that person or did they have a bag too? Thanks!
We had an additional two bags ( a cabin case and small rucksack )
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Wow guys this information is great thanks! I think I'll book them on separate days so they can all enjoy the process more, hopefully just after or before lunch then we can take them back to the hotel when we rest. I can definitely see one of mine leaving them somewhere otherwise!
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

We bought the legacy light sabres and they came in a heavy duty plastic box and the blade came in a cardboard tube. We had a reservation for build a droid but I did see a 'stand by' queue so it wasn't necessary to have a reservation if you didn't mind waiting.

We bought the light sabres and droids home as carry on luggage.
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Neep
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Took the sabre apart. Doesn’t fit in standard overhead lockers unless you do. Stopped at security at Heathrow for proper check but let through without a problem after that.
Loved the experience. I was lucky to take a plus one - she took all the photos so I could just enjoy the experience. I loved it. Really personal and fast members amazing. Honestly want to do it again! Thinking about a droid now.
Old 14 Dec 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

It probably depends on time of year or even time of day but we had a droid build booked for 12 but were in the park earlier and had a look around the Droid Depot. It was empty so we just asked if we could do it then. It was no problem. It doesn’t take that long either so I think you could get away with doing that on the day.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List