Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Dec 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It might be normal for you and a few of your colleagues, sure. But that's not what I meant. What I meant was that it's a fact that it's not normal for 95% of British people.

a bit of French perspective here (yes, as shocking as it might be, I didn't choose ... lol)
we get a minimum legal 5 weeks paid leave per year (mandatory, required by law) plus additionnal days if we accept on splitting some weeks
some get a 13th month paid, early retirement, better retirement pension, and loads of perks (they are the ones who are on strike currently... and blocking the trains ... go figure ... yeah ... really ... enough said ... )

that's the norm for us, and the norm is very different for everyone.
it always come as a shocker for US cast/team members for example when they see us check in for 3 or 4 weeks, because that's very and really unusual for them

the norm ... define what is normal ...

but, the norm for an american would be very short vacations
so, back on the initial topic, you can't compare a 14 days brits vacation price with a US 5 nights commando visit.

then, there is average income to take into account

US have an average income of $60k per year (2017) when the UK only enjoys an average of $45k per year
this basically means that, on average, a US "worker" will earn more than a Brit, but will also be used to higher prices in some areas

just think about the price of Annual passes, and compare disneyland california (2 parks) at over $1k compared to disneyland paris top tier annual pass at half the price for the same number of parks

prices are higher for americans, but they also have, on average, more money to spend (might sound cliché, but you get the point) and if we try to buy at the US price, we're also hit by the exchange rate ... so hit twice.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by ocaz View Post
For this year's trip in August we'd booked before we left our 2018 trip

-14 nights all Star sports
-10 day park hopper ticket plus
-Memory maker
-2 QS meals per day, 2 snacks per day and refillable mug

After exchange rate it worked out at about £3,050.00 (thankfully paid majority off before dollar started tanking)

Thought we got a pretty good deal
With you only having ten days park tickets does that mean you only get ten days worth of dining plan too?
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
With you only having ten days park tickets does that mean you only get ten days worth of dining plan too?
The dining plan lasts as long as the onsite stay, not as long as the tickets. So they'll get 15 days (14 nights) to use the dining plan credits.

BTW, the 10 day tickets expire 14 days after first use. So they can use the tickets on their first and last days at All Star Sports just as long as they have 4 or 5 days in the middle where they do other things (pool time at the resort, shopping at Disney Springs or an offsite mall, visit Universal/Seaworld, etc).

Here's a different example: next year we're staying onsite with free dining for 10 days (9 nights) but have 14 day tickets. The dining plan will only last the 10 days we are onsite, not for 14 days of the ticket.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Here's a different example: next year we're staying onsite with free dining for 10 days (9 nights) but have 14 day tickets. The dining plan will only last the 10 days we are onsite, not for 14 days of the ticket.
just so that it doesn't confuse any reader/first timer here

the dining plan is calculated based on the number of nights spent at your hotel

so in your example, you get 9 days worth of dining plan (9 CS, 9 TS, 18 snacks on the regular DDP)
but you have 10 days to use them (from check in, to midnight following your check out)

I know YOU know that, but the random reader might think your getting 10 times the daily entitlements when you really get them for the amount of nights, not days;
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
a bit of French perspective here (yes, as shocking as it might be, I didn't choose ... lol)
we get a minimum legal 5 weeks paid leave per year (mandatory, required by law) plus additionnal days if we accept on splitting some weeks
some get a 13th month paid, early retirement, better retirement pension, and loads of perks (they are the ones who are on strike currently... and blocking the trains ... go figure ... yeah ... really ... enough said ... )

that's the norm for us, and the norm is very different for everyone.
it always come as a shocker for US cast/team members for example when they see us check in for 3 or 4 weeks, because that's very and really unusual for them

the norm ... define what is normal ...

but, the norm for an american would be very short vacations
so, back on the initial topic, you can't compare a 14 days brits vacation price with a US 5 nights commando visit.

then, there is average income to take into account

US have an average income of $60k per year (2017) when the UK only enjoys an average of $45k per year
this basically means that, on average, a US "worker" will earn more than a Brit, but will also be used to higher prices in some areas

just think about the price of Annual passes, and compare disneyland california (2 parks) at over $1k compared to disneyland paris top tier annual pass at half the price for the same number of parks

prices are higher for americans, but they also have, on average, more money to spend (might sound cliché, but you get the point) and if we try to buy at the US price, we're also hit by the exchange rate ... so hit twice.
amazed its that high to be honest, guess there a lot way above this so skews the results a bit ?

the US seems to me to be great if you earn a decent salary as above but most of the folk seem to be getting by... once they pay medical etc etc

imo of course
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I am also astounded by this.

Firstly, it sounds like you will have at least around 8 or 9 weeks annual leave from work (7 at Disney, 1 week at California, 1 week in Europe - assuming that's what you mean by a "mini-break"?). That's much longer than most people in the UK get. I'm pretty lucky and get 6 weeks off; most people only get 5 weeks leave from their job.

Secondly, I'm astounded that you managed to afford having 5 holidays in one year (including the California trip but not including the long weekends) - 3 of which are long haul, relatively expensive holidays to Disney World. I can only just afford one holiday to WDW every couple of years. Most people can't afford that.

The vast majority of people do not have 4 or 5 foreign holidays a year and do not visit WDW three times a year. It's fabulous that you can - and, hey, if I could I'd be doing the same as you so I'm not knocking it nor you in any way. Good on you, I say. But it is by no means typical for people in the UK at all. Therefore it shouldn't be a surprise to you if people are "astounded", or at least somewhat surprised, by how many holidays you take each year - it's very atypical and you are pretty fortunate.
I know this isn't typical but I bet u would be surpriced how many people do it, I have been to Benidorm 3 times this year, florida for 3wks in the summer, florida 10 days which I returned yesterday, vegas 8 days in oct, I usually have 3 US holidays & 4 short trips a year. my kids are grown up, we are not rich, we both work full time, save our money & its what we enjoy, we rarely do the parks so a lot cheaper than you think, we just paid 1200 for this trip which included 3 night pop century stay, 7 nights rosen inn, flights & car for 7 days. our Benidorm trips for 3-4 nights cost around 100pp so sounds a lot but I bet we spend less on all our trips than a lot spend on a single trip booked with virgin etc with all park tickets etc
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
I know this isn't typical but I bet u would be surpriced how many people do it, I have been to Benidorm 3 times this year, florida for 3wks in the summer, florida 10 days which I returned yesterday, vegas 8 days in oct, I usually have 3 US holidays & 4 short trips a year. my kids are grown up, we are not rich, we both work full time, save our money & its what we enjoy, we rarely do the parks so a lot cheaper than you think, we just paid 1200 for this trip which included 3 night pop century stay, 7 nights rosen inn, flights & car for 7 days. our Benidorm trips for 3-4 nights cost around 100pp so sounds a lot but I bet we spend less on all our trips than a lot spend on a single trip booked with virgin etc with all park tickets etc
I'm not saying that people can't afford it or need to be rich in order to have the number of holidays you do. It's not about money. I'm also not criticising you for enjoying your life and having lots of holidays. Quite the opposite - like I said before I'm a bit jealous.

I'm just saying that it's a fact that it isn't what the vast majority of Brits do. Seven holidays abroad in a year is very unusual; around 2 would be the norm. And therefore it's surprising. And hence why most people would have a shocked reaction when someone mentions it. And it doesn't matter whether they are Americans or Brits; you'd get the same reaction from both.

As for how many people do it, yeah, probably tens of thousands do it. But that's still less than 1% of the population (compared to 40% of British people who don't go abroad at all each year). It will still be a shock to most people when they hear someone who does it.

Anyway, my original astonishment was based on thinking scooby99 had visited Disney 3 times in a year and spent 7 weeks at the parks in total, plus had holidays elsewhere. Y'know, considering we were originally talking about the price to visit Disney in this thread.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:33 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I'm not saying that people can't afford it or need to be rich in order to have the number of holidays you do. It's not about money. I'm also not criticising you for enjoying your life and having lots of holidays. Quite the opposite - like I said before I'm a bit jealous.

I'm just saying that it's a fact that it isn't what the vast majority of Brits do. Seven holidays abroad in a year is very unusual; around 2 would be the norm. And therefore it's surprising. And hence why most people would have a shocked reaction when someone mentions it. And it doesn't matter whether they are Americans or Brits; you'd get the same reaction from both.

As for how many people do it, yeah, probably tens of thousands do it. But that's still less than 1% of the population (compared to 40% of British people who don't go abroad at all each year). It will still be a shock to most people when they hear someone who does it.

Anyway, my original astonishment was based on thinking scooby99 had visited Disney 3 times in a year and spent 7 weeks at the parks in total, plus had holidays elsewhere. Y'know, considering we were originally talking about the price to visit Disney in this thread.
I didnt think u were criticising at all and do think it comes down to annual leave from work, I am very lucky that I get 8eks paid holiday a year, I also work 3x12.5hr shifts so have 4 days off a wk so dont need to use leave for these little trips,
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ocaz
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post

No we had dining plan for full duration of the stay - it was just the park tickets that were 10 days (although we were able to visit water parks on non-theme park days within 14 days window so worked out quite well)
ocaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List