Notices

View Poll Results: Frequent or luxurious?
I can afford it so I go often and luxurious both 70 16.71%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go more often on a budget 213 50.84%
I can't afford both so I prefer to go less often and have luxury 136 32.46%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Feb 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Live4holidays
Getting to know the DIBB

I've put not go as often in luxury, however, we go every year, but can only do one week (self employed) so we do Orlando at the four seasons. We've tried other hotels but nowhere else seems as good.
Live4holidays is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I try and do both by going out of season. We did Chicago, DC, Niagara and Toronto in the snow at the end of November and that meant that 4* hotels would normally be £150-£200 in the Summer were now only £70.
If it came down it then I'd pick budget places to allow more frquent travel: One of my favourite hotels was in a £18 a night studio Air BnB in Zadar, Croatia a couple of years ago. At the end of the day as long as a hotel is clean then I'm happy
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Somewhere in between. I'm too old for hostels, but am more than happy in an air bnb/budget hotel to fly more often, and economy is absolutely fine by me.

I would therefore prefer to go away more often, and be clean, central, serviceable. I have just got back from Budapest, our 2 bed apartment cost us under £30 a night in total (was beautiful) and return Ryanair was under £50. Had the best time..
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It all depends on where we are going. I couldn’t do a cheap hotel in Orlando anymore I like to stay in really good accommodation, with nice big rooms etc which is why, although staying at POR in May, I know I could get better off site

Camping, used to love camping but now I like a large room en-suite, with a five star feel

We don’t have a bath here, only showers due to solar power and water. My one stipulation, wherever we stay, is that it must have a luxury bathroom.

So my vote goes to I’d rather go on holiday ( not that we go, haven’t been on holiday since 2010) less often and stay somewhere luxurious than lots of holidays.

Having said all of that, what’s luxury? Very subjective
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally if it was a choice between every year or every 3 years I would look for a happy medium that would mean I could go every 18 months - 2 years as a compromise.

For example I would take an indirect flight or go for 12 days instead of 14 if it meant I could stay in a 4 star hotel. I would spend less on Park tickets and treat some of the time as a ‘resort’ holiday - swimming, reading etc. I don’t have expensive meals so couldn’t cut back there.

A decent 4 star hotel is paramount for me. I travel solo and spend quite a bit of time in the hotel so I need a decent room, pool and facilities and restaurants/bars. I prefer convention hotels as the busy-ness makes me feel anonymous and safe !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

This one is a hard one to answer as peoples definitions of luxury will also differ a lot too.

We only do one abroad family holiday per year and that usually a budget one I guess. As a family of 2 adults 4 children a week in Spain for summer holidays for us can cost around 4-5k.

Last year we spent 3 weeks in SE Asia, the year before Spain and the year before that Florida. I think on a standard normal summer holiday I wouldn't want to spend more than 4k, is that a budget holiday? It probably is, I looked at a 11 day Disney cruise for us this August which was 14k that is what I call luxury but something I wouldn't consider as I couldn't justify that cost.
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

In September we did what a lot of people would regard as luxury , Boardwalk Inn, then a villa followed by a cruise. Did I enjoy it it ? Yes every moment.
This year however is illustrating to my husband that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a great holiday in Florida so it's a studio on I Drive , followed by two nights at Busch then on to Vero to stay with friends who have retired to an amazing villa there. No Disney or Universal just Busch, Aquatica and possibly SW. I'm looking forward to it just as much. I don't regard on site as the be all and end all though, nice but so is off site, especially villas as I love the freedom , privacy and space probably more than I do a hotel room even if its walking distance of my favourite parks (I've stayed at the Swan, Y&B and Boardwalk ).

I won't pay more for "better" flights , I've travelled as often as four times a year to the US , in economy they are much of a muchness (and indirect doesn't scare me ) . For the comparatively short flight to Florida I don't see any value in the premium for business . I've had a few upgrades over the years so tried before I buy and to me it isn't worth my own extra hard earned cash. I'd rather spend the extra actually on holiday.
It's incredibly subjective , personally I'd struggle to stay in one hotel for two weeks , a villa perhaps. Others would hate moving though
Money for holidays is never going to be no object but if it was I think I'd still mix it up !

It's not a compromise for me, often means mixing it up , every three years just to add a star rating... no way , for me it's not worth it !

For balance most of my twenties I worked in the travel industry and as well as holidays had work trips to some amazing destinations in five star hotels and am a bit immune to wow factor, location is the primary factor for me ... far more so than fancy taps or high thread counts or a fancy foyer.

Edited at 01:57 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I go less often but go all out when I’m there.☺️ Hopefully when the kids have left home, I can go all out AND go more often! 😬
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

It depends on the year for us and our financial situation (often dictated by work bonus or lack of).

Pre-kids we often did a mix of luxury and non-luxury (to get away more) & now we have kids (well 1, with 1 on the way) I can't see that changing.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We do luxury. The way I look at it, I have a lovely luxurious home and so don't want to swap that for budget accommodation when I go on holiday.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List