Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 21 Nov 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Off-site - out of the bubble?

I'm desperately trying to squeeze in a trip at the beginning of the new year to catch the Xmas season before it ends.

I've priced up onsite and off-site and can save £200 by staying off-site at the Hi Park (£1800 vs. £2000) and buying magic plus annual passes.

My two girls have only ever stayed on site and I'm wondering whether they'll feel like they're not in the bubble so much if we stay off-site, is that ridiculous?

I like the idea of the hi-park as I know it's walkable from the parks but also has a shuttle bus that my Mum can use as she has mobility problems.

So, to book or not to book?
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Privateer
Earning More Ears

I think that it depends on a few factors:

1. Have you spoken with your girls and asked them what they think?
2. Have you discussed with your mum?
3. How much time do you normally spend in the hotel? Do you plan to eat at the hotel?

My wife and I have stayed in the Ibis Hôtel (Val d'Europe) twice and Disneyland Hotel once. We normally use the hotel as just a sleeping base and not always grabbing breakfast. The Disneyland Hotel was different as we did enjoy a nice English breakfast and meeting the characters at breakfast when there were only a few guests was amazing. We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel.

My wife and I share the same attitude: Get up early, max the time in the parks, go to bed late, and repeat as you're only there for a few days so you can rest when you're back home. But that's our way with all of our holidays.

What I'm trying to say is that everybody is different and each group is unique. Plus you have a number of people of different ages and presumably abilities. You're probably best off talking to everybody in your group.

Sorry for being so unhelpful!
Privateer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I didn’t feel the DLP hotels were particularly bubble like (stayed at Santa Fee, Chyanne, Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge) so I’d be open to trying off site . I wouldn’t promote it to kids as lesser though, just as trying something different.
I’d book it
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

If we go it will be a Christmas surprise for my two Daughter's (age 3 and 12) so I can't really ask their opinions.

My Mum is quite happy to stay off-site and I really like the idea of having annual passes (could mean we sneak in an extra visit this year!). I'm guess I'm just a bit scared of being out of my comfort zone. I've stayed in all the on-site hotels and know where I am with them, but off-site is a whole different ball game!

We won't have a meal plan so will just take lots of snacks with us, so being near val d'Europe might be an added bonus as my eldest and I can pop to Auchan and pick up some extra supplies!

We can't book until next week as my Mum has to make sure she can get the time off of work - so maybe by then the prices will have changed and we'll have to re-evaluate but I think as it stands right now that off-site has far more benefits than on-site!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I agree, if there’s a shuttle there and back as well as been walkable then it’s not too far out of your comfort zone ... and more money to spend there !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Mobile

On site does seem so expensive especially as a family of 5 as not many hotels will accomodate us. We are also thinking annual passes and staying at the hipark maybe the way to go. I have priced up 4 nights in august and even if i factor in paying for breakfast at the hotel and a standard buffet in the parks/village each day we will still be over £400 in front
natanddaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

To be honest staying offsite is fine but you might want to look at some alternatives to the Hipark. Its a perfectly fine hotel but I would always choose to stay nearer to the RER station as the shuttle buses can be so busy and generally don't leave early enough for EMH. My choice would be the L'Elysee or the Ibis as they are both right next to the station. You can't really walk to DLP from them but with the RER that's not a problem.
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Also, have you priced up getting APs and booking an onsite via hotels.com or similar? Might be worth doing a comparison.
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Ibis Val d’Europe is a great budget option. It is basic but has all you need. However, if your mum struggles with stairs it is worth noting that there is no escalator or lift at the back entrance to Val d’Europe station, which is the one nearest to the hotel. It is not a problem, you could use the main entrance which has a lift, and walk through.

The Elysee is perfect for location and was really n8ce but has got a lot more expensive in recent years (I think it has upgraded since it’s refurb and is quite posh now!)

Thinking of Hipark next time, but if the walk is an issue for your mum then it is worth looking at hotels nearer the RER. Residhome seems a good option.

Seeyouinmainstreet and Curious Axel have done some YouTube reviews which may help.

We discovered some great places to eat last time which helps keep the excitement going. L’Interprete and Alfred Burger both excellent.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraggle35
Very Serious Dibber

We always stay off site for DLP as I have never feel the real Disney buzz that I get in Florida. We have stayed at several of the Marne-la-Vallee partner hotels and have never had a problem with any of them.They all have free shared shuttles to the parks or for 6/7 euros you can get an uber. We only stay for 2/3 nights on short weekend breaks so it's really just a place to sleep but some have pools, one has a petting zoo and they all have Disney shops for you to look round.Having said that, if I won the lottery I would book the Disneyland Hotel just for the convenience.
Fraggle35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List