Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Nov 19, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Revolut help

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone would be able to explain exactly how to use a Revolut card, I got one for my trip to Turkey and I ended up being very confused on how to use it and didnt bother.

I wasn't sure how to withdraw money from an ATM and when to transfer money into the relevant currency. I'm going to Paris next month and Orlando next may so would like to be clued up on how to use it.

Any advice and help would be appreciated. I did try and research but I couldn't make heads or tails of it so any simple explanations would be great haha.
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Duwsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

You literally just top it up in GBP then exchange to whatever currency you need through the app on your android or iOS device, it really is that simple. The currency local to where you are will be used first and once that has depleted it’ll use whatever else is left at the current exchange rate (over the weekend you’ll be charged an average exchange as the markets are closed)

I use mine all the time and as such have just setup a monthly standing order. In addition to that, I’ll keep an eye on the exchange rates and build up some USD and Euro as and when the rates are good (again, this is done via the app.

It really is that simple, don’t over think it. You just use it like a normal debit card and it’ll stop working once the cash has run out, all you do then is top up again.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kat90
VIP Dibber

It works exactly like a regular debit card. I never exchange to different currencies as it doesn't charge you an exchange fee like typical banks do. I just leave my money in GBP and the card handles the exchange. Absolutely love mine!
kat90 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone would be able to explain exactly how to use a Revolut card, I got one for my trip to Turkey and I ended up being very confused on how to use it and didnt bother.

I wasn't sure how to withdraw money from an ATM and when to transfer money into the relevant currency. I'm going to Paris next month and Orlando next may so would like to be clued up on how to use it.

Any advice and help would be appreciated. I did try and research but I couldn't make heads or tails of it so any simple explanations would be great haha.
I'll try and add a bit more to what others have said:

- You withdraw money the same you would with a regular debit card. There is a monthly withdrawal limit, once you hit it I believe you are charged 1%-3% for any further withdrawals. You get a notification each time you make a transaction, and I believe you can track how much cash you've withdrawn to make sure you aren't charged. Be advised that some ATM's do charge. If you are asked if you want to pay in the local currency, or pay in your home currency, always choose the local currency.

- You can convert your money at any point if you want to secure an exchange rate, but you don't have to convert if you are happy to pay the exchange rate at the point of purchase. If you have $100 and try to spend $200, it will take the $100 and then automatically convert the rest from your £ balance.

- If you don't spend all of your money, you can exchange back to £ from $. There is no fee to do this (so if you converted £100 to $ and then converted that back to £, you would still have £100 assuming that the exchange rate doesn't change)

Keep in mind that your first payment on revolut MUST be a chip-and-pin payment, then you can use contactless and swipe payments - you have to enable these payment methods on the Revolut app.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I was just over thinking. I really didn't want to take money with me as I lose track of what I've got left and it's just a hassle, plus what if it gets stolen so this is a good alternative.

All very helpful thank you!
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Duwsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ellie666
Proud to wear my Ears

Just to stick in my tuppence worth, we have revolut but also starling which i personally find a lot more simpler, every transaction popped up on my mobile app within seconds of it taking place and the fees are completely free, which is what put me off revolut as their is a limit on their free stuff. You also don't have to faff about with pre converting to local currencies for best rate.
as others have said always pay in local currency and that way your card handles the conversion using the Mastercard rate (the best one)
Orlando (No Disney apart from MNSSHP) - 2022
Disneyland Mars (Green Lagoon) - 2038
ellie666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by ellie666 View Post
Just to stick in my tuppence worth, we have revolut but also starling which i personally find a lot more simpler, every transaction popped up on my mobile app within seconds of it taking place and the fees are completely free, which is what put me off revolut as their is a limit on their free stuff. You also don't have to faff about with pre converting to local currencies for best rate.
as others have said always pay in local currency and that way your card handles the conversion using the Mastercard rate (the best one)
I've just bought a new card as I (thought I'd) lost my original card otherwise I'd switch, feel like I need to get the use out of the card now
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Old 26 Nov 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
delboybloomer
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by kat90 View Post
It works exactly like a regular debit card. I never exchange to different currencies as it doesn't charge you an exchange fee like typical banks do. I just leave my money in GBP and the card handles the exchange. Absolutely love mine!
This is fine, but you do get a slightly worse exchange rate at weekends. I tend to build up a lot in dollars, then top up whenever the rate is good. avoids the worse weekend rate (the rate is not much worse, but every penny counts!)

I travel a lot for work, and use it for all my personal purchases abroad.
November 2013 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
Aug 2008 & Dec 2009 - Best Western lakeside,
delboybloomer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 19, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by delboybloomer View Post
This is fine, but you do get a slightly worse exchange rate at weekends. I tend to build up a lot in dollars, then top up whenever the rate is good. avoids the worse weekend rate (the rate is not much worse, but every penny counts!)

I travel a lot for work, and use it for all my personal purchases abroad.
So I'm going to Disneyland thursday-sunday, would you suggest on the friday I transfer my money to euro's so if I spend anything while there over the weekend I get a better rate? I did notice while in Turkey the weekend rate wasn't fantastic but I ended up hardly using it anyway as I didn't understand it
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Old 27 Nov 19, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
So I'm going to Disneyland thursday-sunday, would you suggest on the friday I transfer my money to euro's so if I spend anything while there over the weekend I get a better rate? I did notice while in Turkey the weekend rate wasn't fantastic but I ended up hardly using it anyway as I didn't understand it
Always found the rate on Revolut as good as anything you will get - on a par or better than Halifax clarity exchange rates.
If you are concerned about value of the exchange then do it in small bits on a day you are happy with.

Have to admit that the Revolut app can become a great game in securing a couple of cents difference on a few days spend.

We tend to load it when we are happy with the exchange rate ( sometimes during a weekend too!) then just spend. Unless you are buying something very expensive, the profit or loss on the exchange rate is not too much.

Excellent card and app though - would highly recommend

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List