Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Leemcd
Getting Excited

Hertz toll pass

Evening all!

Usually book with Alamo for Orlando but Hertz came out much cheaper for next year.

Could anyone enlighten me on the Hertz policy on toll pass please?

Tia

Lee
Leemcd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The link is below which gives you the full picture. But this is the detail.

$4.95 fee for each calendar day when tolls are incurred plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates).

Opt-in decision is made when the driver elects to use EXPRESS, SunPass ONLY, E-PASS ONLY or LeeWay ONLY lanes.

Nothing to decide at time of rental.

So be aware hit a toll say at 11.30pm and another one just after midnight and there will be 2 admin fees.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leemcd
Getting Excited

Great! Thank you.
Leemcd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Have just amended my booking to go with Hertz - think the Hertz platepass toll options are not so good as our usual provider - Avis, but will try and pay cash pity more states do not have the new Florida system which I have not read about yet - but I believe makes tolls free for tourists.

I found out last year while in EZ-Pass areas, you cannot always pay cash - option often not available.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 11:11 AM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Have just amended my booking to go with Hertz - think the Hertz platepass toll options are not so good as our usual provider - Avis, but will try and pay cash pity more states do not have the new Florida system which I have not read about yet - but I believe makes tolls free for tourists.

I found out last year while in EZ-Pass areas, you cannot always pay cash - option often not available.
You may be thinking of the recently introduced Visitor Toll Pass system? It's currently in a pilot phase where they aren't charging any admin fees but I believe that the pilot phase may be ending around June/July 2020.

Hopefully it will be extended. The tolls aren't actually free though just the fee. Some tolls are cheaper than paying cash though - for instance we were charged 52 cents at the exit plaza j3 off the 417 instead of a dollar if paying cash or through Sunpass.

Mick
Old 29 Dec 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by mick View Post
You may be thinking of the recently introduced Visitor Toll Pass system?

Mick
Yes I was Mick - looks like a great scheme and having read the details today will not work for me as not picking up car at MCO and only works in Florida. I was used to the $20 max admin fee for Avis - so in Georgia/Virginia if I cannot pay by cash or avoid the toll roads I will have the $5.95 daily admin fee.

Be great if a scheme like this could be rolled out across USA for visitors - I imagine many native Americans visiting other states on holiday have the same sort of issues with tolls.

Previous trips I have used apps like Tollsmart or TollGuru to help with checking fees and routes

Becoming a must now for road trips - have found California/Nevada very easy, but from Virginia northwards and eastwards there were many roads with no cash option. Tennessee seems fine, Georgia has a separate system, where there are no road tolls only charges for using express lanes - so will keep out of them, there are over 50 different tolling organisations across the USA!

Most express lanes I have seen across USA are free to use if there are 2 people or more in the car.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 09:40 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
harty
Excited about Disney

Hi

I wondered if anyone has experience of using the visitor toll pass through tolls in a hertz vehicle? Reason being it doesn’t look like there is a transponder in the hertz vehicles and the registration plate is used to charge / activate hertz platepass - would the visitor toll pass over ride it?

Many thanks for any input 🙂

it Disney get much better than this
harty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by harty View Post
Hi

I wondered if anyone has experience of using the visitor toll pass through tolls in a hertz vehicle? Reason being it doesn’t look like there is a transponder in the hertz vehicles and the registration plate is used to charge / activate hertz platepass - would the visitor toll pass over ride it?

Never hired from Hertz but all rental cars in Florida work on a "toll by plate" Sunpass system. Some Avis cars may have a built-in transponder but switched on or off they have no affect on Sunpass toll plazas. Pass through any plaza without stopping and you'll enable the Sunpass scheme with transponder on or off.

Not to be confused with a Sunpass Mini which is a pre-loaded transponder which you buy from Publix, CVS etc. and have money "swiped" off as you pass through.

The VTP overrides the Sunpass scheme so you won't be hit twice on your CC. I used it last year and it's a no-brainer whilst it's admin fee free - even some tolls are discounted.

Mick

Edited at 09:05 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by harty View Post
Hi

I did a 30 day Hertz hire last July with VTP. Absolutely no issues at all, no double billing and no hassle.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
harty
Excited about Disney

Thanks to both of you that responded - info much appreciated. I can advise hubby now

it Disney get much better than this
harty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List