Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 28 Nov 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

To be honest I was in and out of the room, but got the gist of it- brilliant film
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Massive Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino fan. Read the book it was based on a few years ago. Waited until Saturday night to watch it as I knew it was long.

I’m absolutely gutted to say I was underwhelmed by it. Way too long. I love Al Pacino but I enjoyed the film far more up to point Hoffa was introduced. Found some of the cgi brilliant and other bits just didn’t work. For example a “young De Niro” beating the shop keeper who pushed his daughter, well he moved like an 80 year old De Niro.

I did enjoy the David Ferrie bit.(JFK)

Edited at 10:57 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Im @50% in & whilst its a cinematic treat as above having a "young" de niro betaing up shopkeeper etc just dosnt work..

would have been better using a younger actors for the flashback scenes , a technique used in the sopranos*

still fantastic story & hope to finish it tonight...

* spotted Beanzy & Charmaine already ...

Edited at 10:12 AM.
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Zzzzzzzzzzz "has it finished"?

SO disappointing
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I enjoyed it but it is very long, it really is the story telling and the acting that you are watching not any kind of thrilling or action film. I suspect many may be disappointed because of this but we were just enthralled by Scorsese’s brilliant direction, the flow of the story and just the fact that they had brought these 3 great actors together, honourable mentions for Harvey Keitel and Stephen Graham too - was surprised to see him doing a great turn as an Italian mobster!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I enjoyed it but it is very long, it really is the story telling and the acting that you are watching not any kind of thrilling or action film. I suspect many may be disappointed because of this but we were just enthralled by Scorsese’s brilliant direction, the flow of the story and just the fact that they had brought these 3 great actors together, honourable mentions for Harvey Keitel and Stephen Graham too - was surprised to see him doing a great turn as an Italian mobster!
Stephen Graham played Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire so not his first time.

Edited at 09:06 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Stephen Graham still had bits of a scouse accent
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Thoroughly enjoyed and and watched it in one sitting. 😄
Old 3 Dec 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Completely agree. I’ll be honest, at first it felt very slow, as I was expecting a bit more action, but it’s the story telling that makes the film. I also agree with a previous comment that they should have had younger actors for the flash backs. I only knew in some of the scenes they were younger because of the children in the scenes
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
I’m nitpicking but I really thought it had flaws. I love Scorsese but is his direction in this the same league as his previous films? When you think of the famous scene in Goodfellas of Henry leading Karen through the back entrance of the nightclub, it’s amazing. He recreated that at the start of this going through an old people’s home to finish with De Niro in a wheelchair. Not quite the same and a little predictable. I think Pacino was miscast and i’m a massive Pacino fan. They needed to trim the last section after Hoffa by 20 minutes.

I definitely thinking casting younger actors for the flashbacks would have been better. Joe Pesci calling De Niro “the kid”. Was he being ironic like with Little John