Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Giving to food banks

It's hard to believe how many kids (and parents/adults) are on the breadline in the UK and need to use food banks, and I admit that me and the wife don't give as often as we should (very rarely in fact), which is more out of forgetting to do so rather than being mean. We put some tubes of pringles in the food bank cart at asda the other day and a family member thought it was the wrong thing to put in. I'm interested on views of anyone involved in food banks on their thoughts, because you usually see tins of food and cereal boxes in the food bank cart, but my theory is that people (especially at this time of year) would appreciate something like pringles and biscuits.

We plan to start putting in more often, because we are very fortunate to never have to worry about going to bed hungry, and a fivers worth of food here and there wouldn't even be noticed to us, but would no doubt be appreciated by many less fortunate.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I think you are right, that something different and more of a treat might be welcome this time of year. I am sure that people donate lots of basics, I volunteer at a homeless shelter, and the amount of tins of beans that get donated is incredible but man cannot live on beans alone! Its a really kind thought anyway well done 👍🏻

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

I can see both sides.

Of course it’s wonderful that someone living in poverty may be able to have a treat because of your kindness but that treat may come at the expense of actual food in which case it’s not great.

My Beaver Scouts did a collection over the last few weeks and we have mainly actual food with a smattering of toiletries and a couple of packets of biscuits.
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I don't donate to food banks as often as I should, I've had tough times where if food banks had been available then I would've qualified for me and my eldest. I do donate to them when I see them but I'm also an online food shopper so don't see the collection points in supermarkets as much, but our tesco express is running a food bank collection, I think staples should be put in really, tinned goods, cereals, cereal bars but a couple of weeks I saw a post on face ook I think it was about a treat or two at Christmas and one of the things they asked for was selection boxes and chocolate advent calendars for kiddos, the shop was selling advent calendars for a quid so I put a few of those in. I think whatever you can put in whether beans or treats would be appreciated and much needed but don't we all deserve a little treat at Xmas ❤️
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I think you are right, that something different and more of a treat might be welcome this time of year. I am sure that people donate lots of basics, I volunteer at a homeless shelter, and the amount of tins of beans that get donated is incredible but man cannot live on beans alone! Its a really kind thought anyway well done 👍🏻
What I rarely do is far from kind compared to you giving up your time volunteering at a homeless shelter while I am sitting in doors watching tv. Full respect to you for giving up your time helping others.

Thanks for the info, and I admit in the past I have put tins of beans in the collection basket, so I will give pringles and biscuits in the future.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It’s nice to put treats and toiletries in but be careful that chocolates, mince pies, cakes etc don’t contain alcohol as they can’t accept them
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have been to. Carol Concert today and the collection was for the local food bank and Barnados. Very sad.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BlueMacaw
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

My mum used to volunteer at the foodbank and she said they would get inundated with tins of the same things, don’t get me wrong, any donations were amazing, but they did like to provide extra options for people like treats and things for the children, even pet food and toiletries were very welcome as they were a bit different to pasta and tins.

We were fortunate enough not to have used the food bank growing up, but we did live in relative poverty and the cupboards were never stuffed with food. I remember as an older teen we really struggled and I’d quite often go hungry, partly out of guilt as I didn’t like to go on about food when I knew we couldn’t afford it.

I think my own experiences opened my eyes a lot and I do quite often donate to the food bank, it’s scary and sad how many people have to use them.
BlueMacaw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It’s nice to put treats and toiletries in but be careful that chocolates, mince pies, cakes etc don’t contain alcohol as they can’t accept them
Something I'd have not considered colette, great heads up x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I always remember on my way 'out' of the supermarket when I see the full basket for them so I donated directly online to the charity and then they can get whatever they may need. I am thankful that I am able to put food on the table and pay the bills.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List