Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It’s nice to put treats and toiletries in but be careful that chocolates, mince pies, cakes etc don’t contain alcohol as they can’t accept them
Very good point. I guess things like tins of coke (soft drinks) are okay (obviously no alcohol in them)?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I was reading the notice in a church food bank. They asked for foods that didn't require heating up as they said some people don't have a microwave or cooker. Something I'd never considered.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
I was reading the notice in a church food bank. They asked for foods that didn't require heating up as they said some people don't have a microwave or cooker. Something I'd never considered.
I hadn't even considered that. I will also look at putting in some tins of fruit in the future (that hadn't previously even occurred to me).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We give something every week here In Spain usually dried or canned goods but also I donate tampons etc as they are very expensive to buy, washing powder, baby food, nappies etc

There was a article today about a lady who spends her Xmas money buying tampons etc for homeless women who don’t have access to these

Last week I added a few advent calendars for the children

Edited at 10:07 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
We give something every week here In Spain usually dried or canned goods but also I donate tampons etc as they are very expensive to buy, washing powder, baby food, nappies etc

There was a article today about a lady who spends her Xmas money buying tampons etc for homeless women who don’t have access to these

Last week I added a few advent calendars for the children
Surely an advent calendar might be the wrong message if the family can’t afford food then an advent calendar could put more pressure on the parents? Not having a go, its a lovely thing to do.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post

Fair play to you. In truth I guess some people might feel awkward donating tampons, or being a bloke not even considering how expensive and essential they are.

Again, I hadn't even thought about washing powder, nappies etc.

Edited at 10:11 PM.
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
I have put a box out at work to collect food for the church food bank and Christmas day give away. We have put some Christmas treats in as I think like the OP it will be a nice treat and no harm.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

If you google your local food bank, they will often have a list of the foods they are short of or in need of to guide you as to what to donate (or look on Facebook page, or even ring them). Just recently, ours was short of concentrate for juice and tinned puddings plus certain toiletries. That changed and they then gave us a general guide as to what they were looking to box up for Christmas and it included a couple of treat items.
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
j9mcl
slightly serious Dibber

I always buy a big box of washing tablets as the foodbank can then split them up as necessary.
j9mcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I do buy the odd bits for the food bank collections in the supermarket, and usually at this time of year I will buy some small selection boxes as well. Hopefully they will be given as extra to a family in need and not instead of something the family could really need.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List