Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Dec 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 23 - Circleline sightseeing cruise & Broadway

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 23

Index

Friday 21st September

Circleline sightseeing cruise, lunch at Ellen's Stardust Diner & Dear Evan Hansen

We were up at 8am this morning ready for our first full day in New York! I must admit, it felt a bit weird not putting on Minnie ears.

Our breakfast stop this morning was a place called City Sandwich, found, of course, on Trip Advisor.

We split two sandwiches – a Lisa ($12.95) and an MmmEatBalls - Pork, Chicken, Portuguese $1195 Alheira, Tomato Cream, Melted Mozzarella - $10.95. Ollie got an orange juice ($2.75) and I had some water.

The Lisa was a special so isn’t still on the menu, but it had chicken and avocado in and was delicious. Both sandwiches were good, but Lisa was the stand out.

It took until after we were home for me to realise that I’d been pronouncing one of the sandwiches wrong. Instead of ‘meatballs’, I was say ‘mmmm, eat balls’. Makes more sense now...

This morning, we had the Circleline landmarks sightseeing tour booked which would show us the highlights of New York. One of the things I really wanted to see in New York was the Statue of Liberty, but with only a few days the stories of long security lines and waits put me off. I know a lot of people recommend just getting the Staten Island ferry. However, I wanted an unobstructed good view of Lady Liberty, and this seemed like the best option. Tickets were $37 each.

We arrived at 10.15am for our 11am departure. We were some of the first on board (after the obligatory photo) and sat starboard side and had an unobstructed view.

I would absolutely recommend this tour. Our guide was light hearted but really informative and knowledgeable. We heard stories about the circle lines boats being involved in evacuating people from Manhattan during 9/11 and rescuing passengers when the plane landed on the Hudson, which was really interesting.

We had great views of lots of landmarks, including the Brooklyn Bridge, One World Trade Centre and the Statue of Liberty in the 1 hour 30 minute trip.

It’s true what people say – the Statue of Liberty really is tiny! I’m sure it looked bigger when it was built.

The weather looks a bit grey and overcast in the phots, but it was quite warm and we were actually wearing shorts.

After we disembarked, we walked towards Broadway, stopping at a 7-Eleven for a Mountain Dew and Pepsi ($3.37 for both).

We stopped by the Jukebox Theatre to pick up our tickets for Dear Evan Hansen that I booked the day they were released.

I was also keen to see a show tomorrow night as well (when in New York!) and enquired at the TKTS booth. They receive tickets on the day, but only the top priced tickets that are over $100 and sell them at 50% off. We were quite happy with cheap tickets (as our Dear Evan Hansen tickets were quite pricey).

I decided I fancied Waitress, based purely on the adverts I’d seen around New York so far. We enquired at the Brooks Atkinson theatre and got two centre aisle balcony seats for $60 each.

Feeling quite happy with our Broadway shows on the horizon, we planned on a bit more Broadway by having lunch at Ellen’s Stardust Diner. Who doesn’t love having lunch while people sing show tunes?

From what I’d read, queues were normal. We only actually waited 20 minutes in the end as parties of two were being called quite quickly.

We were seated right in the centre on the ground floor and I was pleased we weren’t on the balcony as we had an excellent view. We were right by the cat walk where servers would get up and perform. The only downside were that the tables were really close together – our table had to be pulled out for me to sit down.

Every now and then, confetti would fall from the ceiling. The restaurant was packed but had a great atmosphere.

Our server was very talented and excellent at multi-tasking – at one point she sung an Abba medley while filling up our drink.

To drink, we shared a diet pepsi ($4.25) and a milkshake ($9.95).

Uninterestingly, we both chose the same meal – burgers with bacon and blue cheese, with a side of waffle fries ($21.95 each)

I was worried about feeling rushed, but our meal actually took 1 and a half hours. Once an hour they did pass around a bucket for donations for training for the servers.

Such a memorable meal that I keep recommended to people who visit New York!

Ellen’s wasn’t far from the hotel, so we headed back for a rest. I actually ended up having an hour nap. Probably a good thing – if you’ve read previous days you’ll know I tend to fall asleep a lot, and I didn’t want to risk this during Dear Evan Hansen.

We got ready for the evening whilst enjoying a cider each and walked over to the Music Box Theatre.

We chose Dear Evan Hansen as our show as I was keen to watch something that we couldn’t see in London (although it has since opened, only a matter of time really). At this time we got tickets, the show was selling out, although it had calmed down a bit now. I was quite surprised how small the theatre was compared to many London theatres. There was only one balcony level, which we were sat in with a great view of the stage.

I really didn’t want to spoil the show beforehand, so I’d only previously listened to two of the songs. In fact, the show was chosen based on the strength of ‘Waving through a window’.

I like that a playbill was free for everyone. I enjoyed reading in the playbill that the cast that Evan wears in the first act is applied every night like a proper cast and removed at the interval – I assumed it was just a prop that was reused!

I really enjoyed the show – great songs and a powerful message. The actor portraying Evan did a great job. It’s definitely one we want to re-watch in London.

After the show, we found a 99 cents pizza place on the way back to the hotel. My brother had talked about these places fondly after his New York visit! We got two large slices of pizza and a drink for $2.75.

It was a bit weird walking through the hotel with slices of pizza! The night ended eating pizza in bed and watching impractical jokers.

Day 24 - Empire State Building & Brooklyn Bridge

Edited at 09:32 PM.
Scruffette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List