Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Mine are all up to date and so are my kids
There’s a scarlet fever outbreak at local schools up here
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I am awaiting an appointment to have an op at Queens Med in Nottingham & last night on local TV they said they have an outbreak there and one at the City Hospital!
I caught mumps at 40 (vaccinated as a kid) when a mother bought her kids to the surgery & joked the son had just had mumps and they were now awaiting the daughter to come down with it - daughter did and so did I - a non vaccinating mother - people never think of others do they!

Edited at 03:24 PM.
THE WIZARD is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I saw in March that Rockland county New York had become one of the first counties in the USA to ban non vaccinated (For measles etc) minors under 18 for a month from public spaces until they get their shots.

There was also something on US Tv last month here at home talking about the possibilities of introducing a ban on people entering the US with measles I tried googling it today but typically can’t find it now .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My Mum had measles in her eyes as a child and lost the sight of one eye

Thank goodness she didn't lose the sight in both

So important to have all vaccinations offered
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m 50. I am pretty sure the weird circle vac at the top of the arm is smallpox. I had all my immunisations as a child but not sure which were or weren’t around then but I had them all. As a child I had chickenpox and I actually had mumps - perhaps the MMR wasn’t around then? I was born in 1969. My auntie didn’t like needles and so my cousin born in 1950 never had any vax and she was an ill child and had everything going. My mum said she had measles and was very very poorly.
Weirdly I never reacted to any of the vax you have at school and I remember when we had the preTB jab and I remember it being “if you react then you are ok but if you don’t you have to have the TB jab” I never reacted and had to gave the jab - which I’m sure my mum was happy about as my mums mum died of TB when my mum was 2 and my mum had an older brother who died at a young age also of TB.
My manager at work is against vaccinations and will lecture you to the hilt as to why you SHOULDNT vaccinate. The thing is she believes if your child is vaccinated then why should it matter if hers isn’t? But the thing that’s not considered is that some children can’t have the vaccines and so not vaccinating and allowing the disease to become an epidemic means those children/people with low immune systems are at risk. ☹️
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m a child of the 1980s. My parents were advised not to vaccinate me due to a family history of convulsions (bizarre advice which had changed by the time my sisters were old enough for vaccination).
I went on to have both rubella and measles - I remeber feeling hideously ill with measles aged 11. Thankfully I didn’t have any lasting effects from either illness. I had the MMR at 18 due to a university campaign.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
They reckon those born pre 1957 are immune because they probably had the illness anyhow.

Wide sweeping statement!

The big risk according to Google is those born 1957 up to 1967 although there are many variations on those dates etc.

It goes on to say a simple blood test will determine if you are covered but I don't know if a GP Surgery will carry that out.

Interesting question.
If your a lady pretty sure it checked & screened during your pregnancy blood test, I knowI had to have a top of something ( baby brain) after eldest DD was born
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Celica190 View Post
That sounds like the BCG vaccine, which protects you against TB. I had mine in primary school but was tested again when I started university with the six needles on my forearm and was found to still have sufficient protection.

I’m a similar age to you and had measles pre school age (vaguely remember being kept in a darkened room) as well as German measles (twice ) and chicken pox.
I'm 51, I have the TB scar, I also had German measles and chicken pox in early primary school years, and my sister (aged 50) had mumps when she was also in primary school.
My DD is aged 18, she has been fully immunised, she also had the BCG at birth before we were discharged, due to where her Dad originates from.

eta - and I remember the polio vaccine on the sugarlump - eeugh I hate sugarlumps, vile .

Edited at 10:36 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Thank you everyone who’s taken the time to,read this post comment
And keep it informative
Some amazing points raised and a few folks thinking due to their work/life as it it is thinking do I need to find out if I’m covered
It shows how amazing and the general feeling on here is of taking responsibility for things out side our own little bubbles
You are all amazing and if you can just get one more child young adult adult protected especially those who have kids flying the coop for Uni
( might be time to discuss their views on Meningitis Hep vaccines etc )
To look at what they had when and all you young parents know you are protecting your next generations
Helen
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

We are all fully vaccinated in our house... wouldn't have it any other way despite having opposing voices near me when my kids were young. Fortunately, they are my kids not theirs, and they are fully vaccinated.
My youngest is suspected autistic but i wouldn't have ever said that it's something caused by a vaccination.

My best friend however has a condition called Elhars-Danome Syndrome (sp?) And so do 2 of her kids... they CANNOT be vaccinated and have rubbish immune systems.
I see the time her kids spend off school because so and so's mum feels like little Mary didn't need to stay off school for 48 hours after the last time she was sick, or how bad her kids had the chicken pox, scarlet feaver, all those things. I see how her kids always have the cold... and I see her anxiety when there is something going about. And we live in a rural community, we are less likely to come across it here. She is terrified her kids get something much worse. There are still plenty of anti-vaxers here.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List