Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jun 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
I really love it. I got it Friday and I'm up to Level 12 already.

I am already a level 40 Pokemon Go player, so my daily game playing didn't really serve any further purpose apart from getting stardust, so this is a good alternative.

Luckily our village community has worked hard with Ingress players, so although we are rural, we have 20 pokestops and 9 gyms, which has ported over nicely to Wizards Unite, so I have 5 inns, 2 greenhouses and a fortress within 5 mins walk for me. I can see how rural players would find it annoying about the spell energy though, it does get used for everything, but not every place you can visit renews it for you. Hopefully they'll change this soon, or make it so you don't need it when battling in fortresses (this takes up loads).

My only one gripe is the stopping to catch confoundables. Unlike Pokemon Go where I can click, throw and quick catch within seconds, this seems to take longer, so I keep having to stop, especially as you never know what you're clicking on, unlike Pokemon Go (so you can filter out ones you don't want easier).

Some tips I've already picked up:
  • Open your portkeys at home, it's easier to 'enter' the alternate world and collect the wrackspurts.
  • Don't use your silver keys on 2km portmanteaus, save them for 5km and 10km ones
  • If you grow rare items in greenhouses, check the time it takes, as some can take a day to grow, then you only have 30 mins to collect it. If you have greenhouses on your walk, make sure you are there at the same time the next day.
  • When brewing potions, click on the spoon to enter the 'master notes'. This speeds up brewing time. There are lists online of the notes, but once you have done it 3 times per potion, it remembers what they are. Also, put on 4 potions before you go to bed, they'll probably all be ready in the morning.
  • If you are running out of ingredients room, check which can actually be used for the potions available at your level. Some potions aren't unlocked until later levels, so chuck those ingredients UNLESS you get unicorn hair, powdered dragon claw or hermit crab shells. These are very rare.
  • Make sure you level up your chosen profession before tackling harder level fortresses. Also, if you 'die' in a fortress battle, wait 30 seconds and you are rejuvenated with full stamina.
  • Open your daily achievements tab before heading out for the day. There is a bug where unless you do this, anything you 'achieve' for that day isn't actually recorded.
  • Lastly, if you have the space, download all the game assets (found under the settings menu). It is about 3gb in size, but it saves a hell of a lot of data. I went out for an hour when I first got it and used up just over 400mb of data. After downloading the assets, I only use about 15mb for the same time period.

All in all, I think once the initial bugs are ironed out, it'll be a great game.

Incidentally, my friend code is 4372 8348 5272 if anyone wants to add me. It doesn't mean anything at the moment if you don't actually battle in real life with the person (apart from an 'achievement' badge) but maybe they'll roll out some features like in Pokemon Go.

You could have written that in Japanese for me.

I still have not got beyond the virtually blank screen I posted up thread so I am understandably not feeling it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Mobile

“My only one gripe is the stopping to catch confoundables. Unlike Pokemon Go where I can click, throw and quick catch within seconds, this seems to take longer, so I keep having to stop, especially as you never know what you're clicking on, unlike Pokemon Go (so you can filter out ones you don't want easier)”

Sorry, couldn’t quote the bit I wanted on my phone but if you turn AR off you can keep walking whilst catching your confundables. It does make it more convenient and I think saves a bit of battery too!
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You could have written that in Japanese for me.

I still have not got beyond the virtually blank screen I posted up thread so I am understandably not feeling it.
How frustrating! Have you downloaded the assets as I think that improved things for me.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Does the app have to be open to pick up distance walked? Or, as with Pokemon, is there a way to connect it to another walking app?
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Mobile

It currently has to be open, I don’t know if that will change over time like pogo did.
Old 25 Jun 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Evil queen View Post
How frustrating! Have you downloaded the assets as I think that improved things for me.
I think it because I am rural coverage and even the nearest small town has poor coverage, I will need to travel further afield.

No have not downloaded the assets yet, DH said something about the space it requires but I have a 256gb ipad so I think I should do that.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Evil queen View Post
Sorry, couldn’t quote the bit I wanted on my phone but if you turn AR off you can keep walking whilst catching your confundables. It does make it more convenient and I think saves a bit of battery too!
I do have my AR off, definitely got to save that battery! I guess what I was trying to say is that with pokemon (and whilst walking) I can see a pokemon, click on it, get the right ball, throw, quick catch (this is a 'glitch' that allows you to exit without seeing if you've caught), and I'm back on the map screen, sometimes before I even have reached where the pokemon spawned in the first place, so I'm not walking past a ton of rare pokemons that I might want.

With Wizards, I find there are a lot more confoundables spawning, plus you don't know what each one will be, that you get this 'fear' of walking past one you might need if you are already trying to catch another. Plus the animations seem a lot longer, tracing spells takes longer, waiting to see if it's successful takes longer. So, half the time I end up stopping to wait to see if I've caught it, and then moving on to the next one. Does that make sense?

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

My code is 6631 3278 8393 Really enjoying this game - a bunch of swim mums are playing while our kids swim lol
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Just started today - my friend code is 8219 2762 4561 feel free to request me
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
I do have my AR off, definitely got to save that battery! I guess what I was trying to say is that with pokemon (and whilst walking) I can see a pokemon, click on it, get the right ball, throw, quick catch (this is a 'glitch' that allows you to exit without seeing if you've caught), and I'm back on the map screen, sometimes before I even have reached where the pokemon spawned in the first place, so I'm not walking past a ton of rare pokemons that I might want.

With Wizards, I find there are a lot more confoundables spawning, plus you don't know what each one will be, that you get this 'fear' of walking past one you might need if you are already trying to catch another. Plus the animations seem a lot longer, tracing spells takes longer, waiting to see if it's successful takes longer. So, half the time I end up stopping to wait to see if I've caught it, and then moving on to the next one. Does that make sense?
Ah yes I see, although I’ve never managed the quick catch in Pokemon go!