Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 27 Sep 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Our low key, low cost Disney wedding

I asked a few questions on here in the lead up to our trip and got some really useful information so thought I'd share how it went.

It was just us 2, our 11yr old daughter and our son who turned 7 whilst we were there. We were joined by my sister and brother in law half way through our stay.

We wanted to get married whilst there, mainly to avoid the fuss of having a wedding at home. I didn't want the big white dress or 100 people watching and loved the idea of something much more casual. After reading through the state laws I realised how simple it is to marry in Florida compared to the UK.

My sister loved our suggestion of her being our Minister so became ordained online, I believe it was with the Universal life church (or something very similar!), it was only around £30 and took under 15minutes to sort.

We decided not to bother messing around getting a marriage licence beforehand so on one of the days we had a car we did the straightforward 20 minute drive to Osceola Courthouse, easy to find and just a $2 dollar toll to pay if you're using google maps from Disney. You go through bag check & a metal detector then go up to the 2nd floor. The forms are there for you to pick up and it took 5minutes to fill in and double check. Joined the very small queue and were soon called forward to a counter. We needed just our passports and $86 dollar fee, both are us are divorced but didn't need proof. You are asked to raise your right hand and repeat some words. The document is all signed then you are given your licence to used within a certain time frame (can't remember if it was 30 or 60 days sorry) anywhere in Florida. As a non resident it can be used the same day if you wish, we could have paid a bit extra and got married in the room at the side there and then.

Licence in hand we headed back to Disney and enjoyed another week of our holiday before our actual wedding day. We'd booked a fireworks specialty cruise which was a private pontoon boat where we were taken onto the seven seas lagoon to watch happily ever after. You have an hour before the fireworks start and they don't rush back afterwards either. It was a truly magical experience, our captain was fantastic, we had soft drinks, balloons and snacks all included for the $340 we'd paid.

The captain was full of really interesting Disney facts, took us for a tour pointing out all sorts, even found us a gator as the kids and DH wanted to see a wild one Took us over to see where river country was, really eerie in the dark! and round the resorts, we had an amazing view of the water pageant too.

Just before the fireworks were due to start he got the boat in position, we said a few words, exchanged rings then enjoyed Happily Ever After. The music is piped in and it's just amazing.

We returned to the boat docks at the Grand Floridian about 30mins after HAE finished, the Captain offered to take some pictures for us and then we were all done. Uber back to our hotel Art of animation where we jumped in the pool for the last hour.

The next day we picked a car up from Alamo and just the 2 of us drove back to the Courthouse. Handed over our licence which my sister had signed (also the kids did as witnesses ) paid an extra $12 to get some spare copies of our marriage certificate and that was us legally married.

A lot more low key than most but exactly how we wanted it. The whole experience was incredibly simple, especially the Courthouse part which I'd been most concerned about. My advice to anybody thinking of doing similar would be go for it it was perfect for us and something we'll never forget. Also a good reason to keep going back to Orlando for anniversaries now haha.

Back to our hotel for a swim, we absolutely loved AOA and the suite was perfect for us

and lastly our 'wedding cake' the next day at Teppan Edo. We had a really lovely here and wasn't even too embarrassed when the servers sang to us
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Hollyhobbit
Excited about Disney

Congratulations, your wedding sounds perfect xx
Hollyhobbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had the perfect wedding for you
Congratulations

Joan
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Christine_mufc
Trying for More Ears

Amazing! Congratulations!

My niece Summer meeting her favorite Princess at Epcot Dec 2015!
Christine_mufc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
emwratten
Imagineer

We got married 20 years ago in Florida on Caldesi Island it was amazing and if we could choose re do it, we would change nothing...
Congratulations OP
emwratten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

It sounds like a beautiful day. Congratulations!
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

sounds amazing, congratulations
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Sounds wonderful, congratulations. X
Old 29 Sep 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Aw congratulations! It sounds perfect xx
Old 29 Sep 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Congratulations... Sounds bliss
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List