Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jul 06, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post

tiggermeister is right in his/her point...if people didn't want their pics taken with gators..they wouldn't need to be tied up.

Solution to stop this practise is in the hands of those who visit gator land... will it make any difference?... I doubt it somehow, apparently it's a "must have" for some people to have a pic of themselves with a wild animal with its mouth muzzled... If the creature's natural reaction is to snap at anyone/anything in this situation... doesn't that suggest it's against its nature to be treated that way?

Mike
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 06, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I love wildlife, eat meat and have mixed feeling about animals/fish in captivity - if they are born there they will never survive in the wild and some species are becoming extinct due to man invading their habitat (orang-utans for example).
Alligators are abundant in the wild, there are many trips available to go and see them there - so what is the purpose of Gatorland? Pure "entertainment" and money making surely. If that floats your boat then go, if (like me) it doesn't - then stay away.
Can anyone tell me the purpose of men wrestling alligators? If both met in the 'gators natural habitat I doubt wrestling would ensue! And I know who would win, unlike the artificial settings of captivity.
I've seen alligators and crocodiles in their natural environment, far more thrilling IMO.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 06, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Alligators are abundant in the wild, there are many trips available to go and see them there - so what is the purpose of Gatorland? Pure "entertainment" and money making surely. If that floats your boat then go, if (like me) it doesn't - then stay away.
You have every right to your opinion but i just wanted to point out that what you said was not strictly true. Gatorland became an alligator farm and helped supply the demand for gator skin products/meat, which inturn hepled the wild gators increase their numbers. Now the 'farm' is a zoo and any gator meat sold on the premises is imported and not from any of their own gators.

this
taken from Arkansas game and fish commission website shows how endangered they had become..

Alligators weren't threatened until the fashion industry decided their skins were chic. By the 1920s, 200,000 Florida alligators annually became boots, shoes, wallets, purses, luggage, curios, belts, even clocks. Alligator hides commanded top dollar, and suddenly, Southern marshes were crawling with market hunters out to make an easy buck. Hide hunters decimated the species over large areas in a relatively short time. The decline was intensified by government agencies, agricultural interests and others hell-bent on draining America's wetlands.

Fewer than 10,000 Florida alligators were taken in 1943, although the season was open and prices were high. It was no different in other alligator states. Louisiana lost 90 percent of its alligators between 1938 and 1958. Alabama's were almost gone by 1941, when it became the first state to give the creatures complete protection. Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia and Mississippi followed suit in the 1960s, Texas in 1980. In 1967, they were declared an endangered species and granted full protection.

Vigorous law enforcement, effective management and remarkable resiliency allowed the alligator to recover in much of its range. It now seems secure from extinction and was pronounced fully recovered in 1987. Alligators remain on the threatened list because they are similar in appearance to the listed American crocodile and other crocodilians subject to import.

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 06, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by simker
I have read in guide books that the park also sells gator steaks, nuggets, handbags wallets.

Not good in my opinion
And Disney sells beef burgers, steaks and leather goods! Your point is?
Old 29 Jul 06, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi.
It too has been a tradition of ours to visit Gatorland the1st day following arrival. Yes the baby gator for the photo shoot does have a small band holding it mouth closed. It doesnt seem in the least bit bothered. I am sure the excited childrens grasp is alot tighter.
The large gator in the wrestling ring does have a large peice of tape holding his jaws shut...but without it then they wouldnt get many volunteers for photo shoots. They do say the money is ploughed back into the attraction and alligator conservation. As for the gator nuggets. The gators are bred like for this purpose and not slaughtered for eating a wrestler!
I agree i dont think the jumpig for chicken is an activity in the wild... but then if they didnt want to do it...i dont think they could be persuaded.
Old 29 Jul 06, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post

we go to gatorland on our last day every year and our daughters have their photo taken with the small gator and the python.I dont suppose our next vist will be any different.

Edited at 12:44 AM.
Old 29 Jul 06, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Lesley_Perschky
Imagineer

Lesley_Perschky's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Gators are also bred at EPCOT for their meat. One of the CMs told me this last year.
Lesley_Perschky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 06, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
fintywalker
Imagineer

fintywalker's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
there are obviously two definate camps here, the ones who think 'Gatorland' is abhorrable and the others (like me) who find it acceptable to visit these places because as already stated the gators seem well treated and it is educational. This is exactly the same as people who think going to see farm animals is cute, knowing that they will be slaughtered for our food, we can't have double standards, or rather we can, we are human and we are all guilty of being from a very selfish race, we are able to do what we want , when we want, and we are capable of making an informed choice. It will appear there will always be somewhere like gatgorland, as there will always be demand for beef, pork, lamb etc, we happily take young children to see cows, pigs, sheep and then troll them down the aisles of supermarkets where their carcasses lie! Basically, you either like 'gatorland' or you don't, either way those of us will carrying on going, and those of you wont.
Old 29 Jul 06, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

flintywalker is right, as are other posters... those who "enjoy" gatorland will continue to go there... and continue to tell the rest of us how educational it is, how it's protecting an endangered species ( by selling gator nuggets? ), how it really doesn't bother a wild animal having its mouth taped up...and starving it so it jumps for food ( a totally un natural act for an alligator ).

If people want to go...just go... but please don't pretend you're going there for altruistic reasons...

Mike
Old 29 Jul 06, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpy1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by lesley1960
I agree , the idea of wrestling alligators appals me.

Its hypocritical ,as a meat eater , for me to criticise Gatorland for killing and cooking their exibits , but to pretend the place is anything other then a money spinning venture at the expense of the alligators is misguided IMOH

does that cost extra

life too short thats why i'm grumpy

give grumpy his ears Campaign 2007
grumpy1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread