Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 06, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
michixxx
slightly serious Dibber

michixxx's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
we did this park in june and were disgusted with it we spaent just an hour there and left - worst day of the holiday
Xmas04-La Quinta, June06-Port Orleans Riverside, NY08-Pop Century, Nov08-Gold Coast-Australia, Sept09-Port Orleans Riverside,NY09-Vegas, Sept10-Saratoga Springs, Sept11-Hard Rock, Pop Orlando,Anaheim, L.A and 1way to Australia! 2013 SSR and HRH from Oz!
michixxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 06, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
bevc
VIP Dibber

I read this thread with interest. Even though I am an animal lover and a vegetarian, I am not and have never been one to force my opinions on anyone else as I truly believe it is each to their own. I can see both sides of the arguments raised here. I have visted Gatorland only once and have to say that putting the whole animal rights argument to one side, I just found the place to be incredibly tacky and nasty! Stayed for an hour and left vowing never to return. Wild horses wouldn't drag me back there! Obviously some people love it and as I said, it's each to their own but on a personal level, for the life of me I can't see why.

Bev
bevc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 06, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Gatorland has for over 50 years made income by showing these amazing creatures to the paying public.

But for those who think it a cruel place, try spending some time on a proper working farm here in the UK, and I dont mean one that invites the public in for a look round and a stroke of the sheep and the goats either.
I was in farming for quite a few years before and for a few years after leaving school, mainly in the production of Veal and Pork, and believe me, some of the things that a farmer has to do in the way of making money would make your hair curl.

How many of you out there have been to a slaughterhouse.
Getting that piece of beef, lamb or pork prepared ready prior to you finding it on the supermarket shelf is definately not a pretty sight.

Would you boycott Australia because they shoot and eat nice fluffy Kangaroos... and crocodiles.
Would you boycott Korea knowing that you will see dead dogs hanging in the markets in readiness for that nights dinner.
How many dibbers boycott Chinese made goods knowing of their terrible human rights record, in fact take a look at the majority of Disney souveniers, most of it made in China.

How many of us would boycott the local curryhouse if they really knew how Halaal meat was slaughtered. Ive seen Veal calves slaughtered Kosher in a Jewish slaughter house in London, not a pretty sight at all, and extremely cruel.

Ive been to Gatorland , held a baby Gator, and it wasnt taped up.
As for the chicken Jumperoo thing, how is this not natural?.
Ive seen many a wildlife programme showing crocs and gators leaping up out of the water to take an unsuspecting bird off a low lying branch in the swamps.

Gatorland might not have the tidyness and razzmatazz of the Disney/ Busch parks, but I'll bet the breeding marsh in Gatorland is a damn sight bigger and more natural than any living areas you will find in Animal Kingdom or Seaworld.

Stuart

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 06, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I agree totally Stuart ...

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 06, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
fintywalker
Imagineer

fintywalker's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
And so do I, let's get this in perspective this is evolution of the species, survival of the fittest, these are not children in third world countries, without parents, begging for food and clothes, these are crocodiles and alligators. As has already been stated, we would have to have very high impossible values in order to boycott our whole existence. I believe we should have respect and value all living things, but hey there is a pecking order here, what did george Orwell say? ' all things are equal, just some are more equal than others'
Old 31 Jul 06, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Suzie&Stuart
How many of you out there have been to a slaughterhouse.
Getting that piece of beef, lamb or pork prepared ready prior to you finding it on the supermarket shelf is definately not a pretty sight.

Stuart
I have and it's not nice - but the slaughtering of animals for Kosher and Halal meat is even more barbaric imho (seen that too before I get flamed) - but I still eat meat. Could I kill an animal to eat - if it meant my survival then yes!
As for farms in this country doing horrible things - of course they do. Do they charge people entry for it - no!
I've lived in Australia - grey kangaroos are not cute, they are a pest! Eaten kangaroo meat - bit gamey but edible nonetheless. Lambs are cuter but I still eat them.
As I said before, if you want to go to Gatorland then fine - I choose not to and am entitled to my opinion.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 06, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

You're absolutely correct...

flintywalker when you say:

"I believe we should have respect and value all living things" I'm in full agreement with you.

Just that taping an animal's mouth up and forcing it to jump for food against its natural instincts doesn't sit easily with the word respect.

I'm not saying you advocate either of the above btw!

Mike
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 06, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fintywalker
Imagineer

fintywalker's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I don't Mike ! I've been to Gatorland once and will not be returning, but neither am I going to campaign to have the place shut down, hey there's humans dying out there, and I'm sure the alligators have a better life there than in the surrounding areas where locals are free to kill them I believe.
Old 1 Aug 06, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fintywalker
and I'm sure the alligators have a better life there than in the surrounding areas where locals are free to kill them I believe.
Alligators have been taken off the endangered species list but are still protected.
There are the occasional organised hunts, but other than this the Alligators cannot be killed by joe public ,even if found in the swimmng pool.

Why has Gatorland been a success for so long?, I believe its because Alligators are generally only to be found south of the Mississippi, and the main majority are in Florida. People will always want to see these amazing creatures, and will always take the easy way by visiting somewhere like Gatorland.
Why do people go on an airboat ride?. I personally dont think its just the ride thats the attraction, but the chance of seeing a Gator. Seeing a gator from an airboat is not guaranteed, but it is at places like Gatorland. And then theres the fact that not everybody likes boats.

Making animals perform is a fact of life unfortunately.Like has been said, we are top of the food chain and will continue to dominate the rest of the animal kingdom whether its for pleasure or for profit.
Animals are made to perform because if left to their natural devices, they tend to just laze about and would be regarded as boring, then the majority of people would see them once, and would probably never pay to see them ever again. People will always pay to see a show though. Even shows become repetetive though, hence why the likes of Seaworld change the shows every couple of years or so.
Taping a gators mouth or making it jump for food isnt natural, but neither is making a Killer Whale or a Dolphin react to a command to do sommersaults [sp] etc and how often do you see a human stood on a Whales nose or riding on its back out in the wild.

Love it or loathe it, there will always be zoo's of some kind, because this is the only way the majority of people will ever see wild animals from around the world up close, and those that run and own these zoo's will allways tell us its a conservation thing. Of course , conservation was always a major issue in the early 1900s when most zoo's started cropping up, making lots of money had nothing to do with it.

Stuart

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 06, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great post Stuart.

Lover of Gatorland

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread