Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jul 07, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Shuttle launch viewing from Orlando?

I've left it too late to book KSC launch viewing tickets for the forthcoming shuttle launch. What's the view like from Orlando of a shuttle launch? It's due to launch at 7.15pm I think, and was wondering if we should drive a bit closer to the coast or whether the view from around the parks was dramatic enough?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've seen 2 launches now. One from MGM and one from All Star Sports. You'll see the rocket go up very clearly, but no detail. It's still amazing to watch though even from that far away.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
gill38
Apprentice Imagineer

I had a call from rep in Florida last night just to ask if we had any queries with or concerns before our trip next week (very good service I thought). If you are booked with virgin they have VIP tickets available at a cost of $115 per adult and $99 per child. The viewing area is the closest you can get without actually being an invited guest (i.e relative, dignitary etc) The only downside was that they picked you up a 7am and then you spent all day at KSC and then see the launch at 7pm. We have been to KSC before and really didn't want to spend 12 hours there before launch. So I was wondering what is the best place outside of KSC to watch the launch?
Old 27 Jul 07, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by first-timer View Post
I've left it too late to book KSC launch viewing tickets for the forthcoming shuttle launch. What's the view like from Orlando of a shuttle launch? It's due to launch at 7.15pm I think, and was wondering if we should drive a bit closer to the coast or whether the view from around the parks was dramatic enough?
You could do what we did last year, phone KSC ticket sales and have them send the tickets to your hotel . Ask them to mark the envelope with the date of your arrival. Then email the hotel to let them know you have a package being delivered by UPS. Worked fine for us last year
Old 27 Jul 07, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

I have seen 2 go up. Its amazing how you realise just how flat FL is.

Like Whitequeen said, you cant see great detail but you know what it is. Its like looking at a plane overhead really
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
rfw1
slightly serious Dibber

I watched it launch from titusville in 2001 - close enough to feel the noise.
rfw1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We arrive the day before, so for our first day we have planned to spend it on the coast at Cocoa Beach - have read on NASA that it is due to go left to right as it takes off, so that should give us a pretty good view. It's my dream come true and I was really worried when they brought the launch forward from 9th to 7th August, just in case they did it again before we went.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo excited
Old 27 Jul 07, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

Last year we watched from Pauls Smokehouse restaurant car park in Titusville and it was a brilliant view. Cost $10 to park and it is where the TV stations (ABC,NBC,CBS & ITV) had their cameras. Was standing next to Harry Smith of ITV as he did his report while the shuttle went up.

The address is 3665 S Washington Ave, Titusville, FL 32780 for your GPS.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Petenamy
Getting Excited

We are going to be there for the launch which is due for the 20th of Oct, which will be the first time that we will have seen a launch. Just hope they don`t change the date too much or we may well miss it.

Petenamy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 07, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post

I would totally recommend that you go over to Titusville to watch a launch. Depending on how early you go you can pull off on the side of the road and watch it there at no cost.

There is a boat marina that I always pull into and drive about 1/8 of a mile and pull into an open field (there are some baseball fields there) and park right in front of the water and get a perfect view. You can see the assembly building and you get the rumble of the launch.

This information might be helpful for those looking for a 'free' option: Shuttle Viewing Options

Here is a map of the options as well: Shuttle Viewing Map

The one I go to is #3

Edited at 01:41 PM.
Closed Thread