Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 04, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellay
Apprentice Imagineer

When DD was younger we did most of the theme parks that were accessible to us northerners for a day out: Alton Towers, American Adventure, Flamingoland, Blackpool Pleasurebeach, and Ligh****er Valley, and the best by far, IMO was Camelot, just off the M6 near Chorley in Lancashire. The size is manageable for youngsters, the theming was the best at the time (maybe 10+ years ago), the park was clean and there was a big indoor play area for kids in case of rain. There was also a small outdoor paddling/swimming pool from memory. Definitely the best IMO for younger children, although there were a few "thrill" rides for older people.

I can't believe Light-water Valley has been censored
Ellay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 04, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Although the general concensus of opinion appears to be that UK parks aren't up to scratch, our last experience of Alton towers was actually very good, but we did things slightly differently.
We took our son (7) out of school for 4 days in the middle of September and the youngest (3) skipped playgroup. We booked two nights at the Splash Landings hotel. We arrived 11am on the first morning, dumped our bags at reception and after a very quick check-in we could do what we wanted: straight to the water park, sit in the lobby or into the theme park, and our bags would be in the room when we returned. Our itinery became wake up, breakfast (all you can eat buffet - included), swim, theme park (eat in park), swim, go out looking for cheaper food, come back sit in bar and watch kids be entertained by free entertainers.
The highlights were; good service, no crowds at all, no pressure to fit in all the rides in one visit as you can enter the pool &/or park on the last day even after checkout, nice venue, very safety conscious water park. It was noticeable that the CM type staff were still very enthusiastic even though they had just finished a very busy holiday season (the SL hotel had opened mid June). For that they should be applauded.
Lowlights: There were literally no options for eating out other than fast food within a 20 mile radius. I know, we looked!
Hotel food too pricey.
I can't explain how much nicer it is as the driver (300 mile round trip for us) to be able to stroll slowly around Alton Towers and think, "Oh well, we'll come back tomorrow and do that" for any ride you like, especially when *everyone else* is running around like looneys.
Old 11 Aug 04, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Originally posted by Scotty
Well I never thought I would say this but I went to Loudon Castle in Ayrshire with a friend and our children yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The queues were minimal, it was pretty clean by UK standards, the food was edible although they had run out of a few things by 1pm.
You cant compare it with WDW but I had expected to hate it and was pleasantly surprised.
We all got out £9 worth out of the rides.
We went to Loudoun Castle in April and wrote to complain about the poor hygiene displayed by their staff in the eating establishment. Also complained about height restrictions, we had taken my friends 6 year old twins and one of them was too small for most of the childrens rides (he had been on them at this park the previous year). They sent us complimentary tickets to go again.

We went on Sunday (8th Aug) and saw a vast improvement. Craig has grown a bit since April and managed to get on everything but the helter skelter and the dodgems. He needed accompanying on the log flume and a children's horse ride (goes very slow). What makes me laugh is he is tall enough to ride Splash Mountain and Tower of Tower.

Scotland's other theme park M&D's is so small you could fit it into Main Street in the Magic Kingdom and still have space.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 04, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally posted by Ellay
I can't believe Light-water Valley has been censored
It's because of the middle bit - like Weight W.'s is
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 04, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post

New Rides

Over in the UK there are some exciting developments,

At alton Towers there is a 'Booster Bike' rollercoaster planned and a new 'Sky Swat' at Thorpe Park, the plans are available on www . themeparks-uk . com
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 04, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

...off topic again!

... I laughed so much at this pic ... themeparks-uk/files/p...nowayout__.jpg

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 04, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

As we were off work this week, we decided to do a couple of the UK parks to get us in theme park mode!

On Thursday - my birthday actually, but I digress - me, DH, DD (3), DNeice (14), DNephew (9) and other DNeice (7) heaed off to Drayton Manor... now I KNOW it's not Disney - but we didn't EXPECT it to be - and we had a GREAT day! None of us are 'scary' ride fans so we had no trouble whatsoever with crowds etc, as most people were on the 'headliners'. We were there from when the rides started at 10.30 to when they chucked us out at 6! We even got our VERY wimpy 7 year old neice on the 'dragon' rollercoaster - some feat I can tell you - she didn't even go on the 'Dumbo - sorry Jumbos' ride when we first arrived!

No real problems with litter, dirty loos etc etc - and the only time we even noticed any 'gangs of teenagers' was when the young guy running the teacups was flirting with a group of young girls (jailbait I'd have said - but what do I know! ). As I said we didn't go on the 'big' rides so maybe there would have been more 'problems' there but it really didn't seem to be problem at all! As I say - we ALL had a great time - and may well do it again before it closes this year!

Back in May DH, DD and I went down to Legoland for a couple of days and got one fo these 'funpass' things - now in the summer you can only use them after 4pm so we didn't think we'd use them over the summer! However, we'd got to go to Southsea (Nr Porstmouth) to pick up my 'outlaws' this weekend so decided to get to Legoland for 4 yesterday and get as many of our favourite rides in before they closed at 7! We arrived to find Legoland under a torrential downpour - we sat in the car until it eased a bit - and it did us a BIG favour as the 'day' people had mostly decided to head off home - leaving us pretty much free rein to go on anything we wanted to - we did the Dragon's Apprentice roller coaster, spinning spiders, driving school, Train ride, explorers institute, wave surfer, caroussel, the 'Robotwars' type thing in the circus teant, and finisheing off with 'Pirate Falls' where we were the last but one log down before they shut!

Another great day - amazed how much we got in in less than 3 hours - with a 3 year old in tow! As it was the end of the day, you'd have expect a lot of litter etc but I can't say I really noticed! And the loos were fine too! We didn't eat anything - so can't comment on the food - but littlun had an ice-cream - which she enjoyed anyway!

Only negative bit about either day is something neither park could do anything about - BL00DY WASPS! Spent most of Thursday bastting them away from the kids - then one of the little bar stewards got inside my poncho at Legoland and wqhich trying to get it out - it got me on the back of my hand! I wish someone would invent an insectiocide that wipes the little beggars off the face of the earth- no use WHATSOEVER and just a pain - in more ways than one! :angry:
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 04, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

We've also been out' practising' 'theme park mode! now the boys are tall enough to go on some of the bigger rides. We did chessington for the first time in July, didn't like it. crowded, long queues(even though we'd pre-booked some rides we ended up queuing because there was noone to take our 'fast track' tickets) badly laid out and the sign posts were useless (any one used them to try to find Hocus Pocus Hall ?) took ages to obtain a map 'cos we couldn't find the place to get it from ! the one staff member we cornered to help us couldn't as it was his first day ! Did legoland next and was impressed (well I would be after chessington ! ) layout was much better and seemed nicer to look at, very clean, seemed to be more staff around as well. I also used clubcard vouchers, full price for a family is just too expensive. Last but not least we did West midlands safari park yesterday. I wasn't looking forward to it , we've been so many times., but a hot sunny day is not the best for sitting for 30 mins in the lion enclosure with all the windows wound up,I think being mauled to death by a lion would be preferable to death by heat exhaustion ! but the amusement rides were great, just right for the boys , hardly any queuing, and the staff all seemed friendly, it beats chessington !
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 04, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I used to rave about Alton Towers adn used to go at least once every year for a thrill ride fix.

Last year, we went with some friends who were visiting us and I came away feeling sad that I had recommended it as a day out.

We arrived early, but still had a massive queue for the monorail (dirty, noisy and dreadful queueing area). We then had to queue for 50 monutes to get to a ticket window as only 2 windows were open. Got into the park after 10, even though we had arrived well before 9.

The place was dirty, smelly, and the food poor quality. The food establishments were not clean either and very overcrowded. The park has some lovely areas, but lakes were full of rubbish that had obviously been there for a long time. On the day of our vusut, Air, Cable cars and the Corkscrew all broke down whilst we were in the queue. The queue for Nemisis was 2 hours. there was no fast pass in operation.

Apart from the mine train and river rapids, we didn't get on any other rides (the kids managed a few in the kiddy area). It was a complete waste of money and a day.

I wrote to complain, about the value for money and the low standards and got a standard 'thank you for your comments which have been noted letter'. Needless to say, we have not been since!

I have such negative feelings about the place now.
Old 18 Aug 04, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Well as someone who was brought up in Rhyl, with it's high class and state of the art ocean beach funfair...I am really hard to please as nothing comes close to it !

In fact, everytime we drive to our local Asda, along the beautiful and classy sea front, with the amusement arcades which would give Las Vegas a run for its money, my kids have been known to comment... why on earth would anyone want to go to Florida when there is such a delightful and exciting resort right here on our doorstep.

And we must not forget the visitors: where else can you see heavily tatooed aging women, exposing mountains of flesh in clothing aimed at girls have their size and age, men who appear to be 9 months pregnant, obviously very proud of their "bump" as they parade along the seafront with their tops off, hordes of young men and barely dressed girls, staggering along having drunk their weight in alcopops, fags in hand, and language you
wouldn't even hear in the roughest working mens clubs.

Not to mention the scenery, boarded up, grafiti stained buildings, mountains of litter left by the lovely visitors who support the philosophy "...why use a bin when the floor is closer!" Not forgetting the Sunday morning treat of fag ends, abandoned booze bottles and vomit on every street corner.

Indeed... why go to Florida... when such delights exist on your doorstep!

Edited at 08:50 AM.
Closed Thread