Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 13, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Yeah its fab, Actually muscle cars, if you go round the back before the cruise you can have a peek at them. Subbed up, and over specked isnt the word for some of them. There are still a couple of classic cars join in on this night as well
Thurs night is still advertised as bike night, although I was under the impressuin it had finished.
Look under events
myoldtownusa/car-cruises/...le-car-cruise/

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I didn't know about the fast cars on a Friday night. Is there usually a good selection?

I'm not keen on the area myself but DH and DS want to visit for the car rally - think DS may be interested in the fast cars

Edited at 10:09 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 13, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
beckysmum
Excited about Disney

Definitely worth a visit to see if it's 'your thing'. We've been a few times and enjoyed it. Some things I've seen over the years have been pretty bizarre - some years ago we came across a fully grown tiger (real!) in a cage, but no fencing around the cage to keep curious people at a distance (dread to think what the UK Health and Safety would have made of that one! And oh - is the dummy in the shop window still there? The one in the electric chair - pay your quarter and watch him be electrocuted! I amused, horrified, apalled, all at the same time - and no, it wasn't me who put the quarter in!
beckysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 13, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I would be more worried about some of the locals than the tiger!
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 13, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
petetina
Imagineer

Originally Posted by beckysmum View Post
Definitely worth a visit to see if it's 'your thing'. We've been a few times and enjoyed it. Some things I've seen over the years have been pretty bizarre - some years ago we came across a fully grown tiger (real!) in a cage, but no fencing around the cage to keep curious people at a distance (dread to think what the UK Health and Safety would have made of that one! And oh - is the dummy in the shop window still there? The one in the electric chair - pay your quarter and watch him be electrocuted! I amused, horrified, apalled, all at the same time - and no, it wasn't me who put the quarter in!
we still have pictures with that Tiger the lady said it was a house cat--it was amazing
2009 sandy ridge
2013 watersong resort
2014 Deep Creek ct Clermont
2017 Thomson allocated on arrival
petetina is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We've had some nice evenings wandering around old town , it's abit rundown maybe but never felt unsafe there .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
I can't understand why people have said they feel unsafe there. We have been many times over the years and always had a good time. I really do think it makes a change from the 'painted on' and 'sickly sweet' smile of Disney.
We often stay at the Comfort Suites Maingate East which is just next to Old Town. We are two 50/60 year olds and have never felt unsafe there (and the hotel is lovely!).
I'm quite surprised at those who feel its 'unsafe', come on folks, they're just people, not everyone is out to get you.
We spent two weeks in Brooklyn last summer, fabulous time, living in a brownstone apartment. We met loads of 'interesting' looking people, (think tattoos, piercings, scary pit bull dogs etc). Because we took time to talk to them and not just judge by appearances, we had a great time and spoke to some really fascinating people.
Plus there used to be a Nathan's at Old Town (is it still there?)

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
plastic orange
Very Serious Dibber

The issue of people feeling unsafe at Old Town has been discussed regularly on the Dibb. I really can't understand why folk feel unsafe unless they lead a very closeted life at home. I'll bet the characters in Disney scare the kids more than folk at Old Town. Tats, piercings, long hair, shaved head, young, old, race, colour, sexual orientation etc etc is all part of life's tapestry - embrace the differences as there is more to worry about in life. Try speaking to people and you'll find out that they're not out to get you

Pete
Old 18 May 13, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
I can't understand why people have said they feel unsafe there. We have been many times over the years and always had a good time. I really do think it makes a change from the 'painted on' and 'sickly sweet' smile of Disney.
I think perhaps in some cases (not all ) it depends on what you are used to , lots of people go to Orlando and only ever see the tourist bits which are all nice and shiny so anything else leaves them outside their comfort zone .

Where as we tend to go off the beaten track more so aren't so bothered .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by plastic orange View Post
The issue of people feeling unsafe at Old Town has been discussed regularly on the Dibb. I really can't understand why folk feel unsafe unless they lead a very closeted life at home. I'll bet the characters in Disney scare the kids more than folk at Old Town. Tats, piercings, long hair, shaved head, young, old, race, colour, sexual orientation etc etc is all part of life's tapestry - embrace the differences as there is more to worry about in life. Try speaking to people and you'll find out that they're not out to get you

Pete
Absolutely, the earlier post about "fearing the locals more" really saddened me.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cruella2110
Excited about Disney

cruella2110's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Absolutely, the earlier post about "fearing the locals more" really saddened me.
Agree completely, we go every time we go and it's a great place with lovely people.
Not to mention I always have to go in knives & things to buy the best tweezers! Kashi precision engineered ones for $3.99 - a bargain!
Silver Creek Villa August 2013,
Sandy Ridge May 2016, Solterra June 2023.
cruella2110 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread