Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 16, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Wdw ,money grabbing ?

Ok guys its my first post but I have to ask , is Disney getting greedy ?
So the parks are expensive but over recent years ive notice little Perks or ripoffs, depending on your view .To be fair some of these are rumours or are they ?
I've been going to WDW for over 30 years but ive noticed this when Disney started charging for the Monorail ( Hopper) . Now I hear they charge to park closer to the entrance , extra $15 .I've heard that they intend to charge more at peak times.There also seems to be a higher charge for Tickets bought that include the water park.I wanted a 3 day pass to include access at the water parks but its more expensive than a standard 3 day park ticket and the list goes on.Some years ago bottled water started appearing just at the same time drinking fountains disappeared and those that were available were warm.
Dont get me wrong I love Disney but if this continues I'll seriously have to reconsider visiting.It just seems to be getting out of hand .Soon you'll be charged to use the toilets or charged to have your bottle of pop chilled .So my message to Disney is 'DONT get greedy!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I agree. What annoys me is charging extra for special events allowing you in early and stay late. Unfortunately some people will pay so Disney (and probably the other parks) will get away with what they feel they can.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Agree Disney and Universal are not cheap but rip off!

You can still find water fountains around the parks. The bottled drinks are always kept in ice. You have always had to buy a ticket for 'special' events. You definitely do not pay to use the monorail.

At the end of the day it is your choice whether you visit the parks or not.

Don't like the word rip off though!
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Ok guys its my first post but I have to ask , is Disney getting greedy ?
So the parks are expensive but over recent years ive notice little Perks or ripoffs, depending on your view .To be fair some of these are rumours or are they ?
I've been going to WDW for over 30 years but ive noticed this when Disney started charging for the Monorail ( Hopper) . Now I hear they charge to park closer to the entrance , extra $15 .I've heard that they intend to charge more at peak times.There also seems to be a higher charge for Tickets bought that include the water park.I wanted a 3 day pass to include access at the water parks but its more expensive than a standard 3 day park ticket and the list goes on.Some years ago bottled water started appearing just at the same time drinking fountains disappeared and those that were available were warm.
Dont get me wrong I love Disney but if this continues I'll seriously have to reconsider visiting.It just seems to be getting out of hand .Soon you'll be charged to use the toilets or charged to have your bottle of pop chilled .So my message to Disney is 'DONT get greedy!
Chewie, you make some good points but you have missed the target.

Disney are a business. The reason they operate is to make a profit for shareholders. Nothing more nothing less.

Now with regard to pricing, like any other company, they will push it until it affects sales. So until footfall is compromised they will continue to push the boundries.

Sadly if you or I do not go, there will be two or three other people from other parts of the globe who will take our place.

The best strategy is to ask dibbers for the most cost effective solutions in all situations. Somebody will have a good answer that you will not have thought of.

Tough reply, but true.

Disney 332
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm not sure you're entirely right.

Some of the perks / rip offs that you cite I'd describe as things some people are prepared to pay more for. Some people will be happy - and want topay nearly double to park nearer the entrance (I'm certainly not and it doesn't impact my enjoyment at all). In that scenario there is a gain for the consumer and the business.

I've only been going for twenty years, not thirty, but I'm sure that it's always been extra for water parks and hopping. You might perhaps have bought a ticket intended for UK visitors which included those (as you still can today) but the standard US tickets have always been more expensive for those extras.

I've never heard of paying to use the monorail. I have a feeling there might, once upon a time, have been a change at Disneyland but never at WDW.
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

As a quick comparison i had a look how much i paid for park hopper tickets back in 2000 (I still have 2 days left on each ticket so have the tickets squirrelled away )

In 2000, a four day hopper cost me $176 plus tax so ~ $47 per day.

Current 4 day magic your way ticket including hopper is $419.61 inc tax so ~ $105 per day.

So from $47 to $105 per day in 16 years, not sure that's too bad. Its a 123% increase.

As a comparison:
Alton Towers ticket in 2000 was £20 (standard season at the gate), this year its £51.60! That's a 158% increase.

Oh and my 2000 tickets didn't include waterparks, that would have been an extra charge. Its always been that way since I've been going

Edited at 10:02 AM.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Disney is a business that caters for all pockets. Why should they supply a service for free when there are those with the disposable income to pay for expensive things? Don't the airlines do the same thing with PE and First Class? Do you pay for airport lounges or sit with the masses? Same difference my friend.
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post

At Tokyo Disney you have to pay to ride the monorail. It encircles the outside of the parks and thus in Japanese law it is a public railway.

Are Disney money grabbing? Only if you decide to part with the money.

Admittedly we are giving WDW a miss for a few years. It needs to sort itself out - get its various building projects finished and then decide what direction it wants to go.

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Old 2 Nov 16, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Davy Crockett
Imagineer

Davy Crockett's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm also a 30 year veteran. Nothing is perfect but - in my opinion, for what it's worth - You have to pay for perfection!
Old 3 Nov 16, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow , that told me !Listen guys Im aware Disney is a business. Its a personal view and whilst I can see your points I don't necessarily agree! I've visited DW for 30 years , visiting about 18 times . Yes I love it ! But like my wife whom I love to bits . I feel criticism is valid particularly when its someone/thing you have a love, affinity with. WDW is not perfect , although it strives to be and of all the worlds theme parks its Number 1.Like I say its a personal view, observation and its clear I'm in the minority. Still its a forum and its great to see other peoples views. But gets people Talking /Typing
Closed Thread