Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 14 May 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Magen’s Bay, st Thomas my thoughts

I just wanted to make people aware of my experience. I am easy going but was not impressed with the set up here.

· Went on the transport with about 20 other people to the beach (caught just outside cruise terminal)
· Arrived and paid $5 dollars per person to enter (knew about that beforehand)
· Arrived but no one there to explain what to do about sunbeds
· Finally found someone who told me had to go into gift shop and pay and get receipt
· Went into gift shop (staff not very friendly at all) and paid for my sunbed and umbrella
· Deposit also paid
· Asked what I did next and was told that I had to take my receipt outside to gentleman and would be given my sunbed and umbrella.
· I said “would be given” – she said yes, I had to carry the sunbed and put up the umbrella myself unless I paid the man an extra $5 to do for me.
· At the end of the day I had to take the sunbed and umbrella back to the man and get him to stamp my receipt
· Then had to take back into the gift shop and get my deposit back.
· Personally, I have never had to do this before. I heard at least three people complaining about this and that the staff were not very friendly.
· I found this very dangerous as some of the men were carrying the umbrella along the edge of the water to take to their spot but were carrying it sideways so the spike was in front/behind of them. On two occasions, the spike nearly hit a child.
· I just wanted to advise everyone what you have to do to get a sunbed/umbrella.
· Your choice whether you are happy with doing this.
· Megan’s Bay was lovely but in future we would try somewhere else due to the hassle.
Old 14 May 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Been to Magen’s Bay three times and this was our experience each time. It’s a slog to drag a lounger down the beach to get to a quieter spot. Our favourite beach on St Thomas is Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, there is ferry from Crown Bay cruise terminal/marina. Not quite so convenient if your ship docks at Havensight. waterislandferry/ It’s a lovely beach, with a couple of rustic beach bars - the guy from one of the bars meets the ferry to give a lift to the beach, otherwise it’s a ten minute walk. Loungers are free.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We have been to Magen's Bay a few times and have never bothered with a lounger. Normally get off the ship quickly and then you can get a decent spot either on the beach or walk to one of the tables further along. Love swimming and have the pelicans diving down near us.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I've just booked an excurstion for Magens Bay this morning, I wasn't aware of any of this

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
I've just booked an excurstion for Magens Bay this morning, I wasn't aware of any of this
Don’t worry, it’s a nice beach. Just be prepared for their ‘system’.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

If booked via cruise line maybe sun beds included ?
Old 24 May 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

What added value do you get by booking through the cruise line?
Old 24 May 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

We did ourselves so not sure. We wanted longer there than cruise ship allowed
Old 24 May 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
We did ourselves so not sure. We wanted longer there than cruise ship allowed
Sorry, I thought you had booked through the cruise line.
Old 24 May 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

No worries

Though I did talk to two ladies who were on DCL and they had the tour of various things and dropped to the beach for a few hours and they had to pay