Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Universitys - degrees

What university did you or your child go to?
What subject did you / they study?

More importantly, did you / they enjoy it?

If so or if not, why?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I went to Manchester Metropolitan University and studied modern history with politics. I enjoyed my course, but struggled with being away from home and didn't really enjoy the whole experience.

I did my Graduate Diploma in Law by part-time distance learning at the University of Huddersfield, which was fine as I only had to attend twice. I did all my exams here.

I did my Legal Practice Course at the University of Law in Manchester. I did it full time, and flew over for classes, assessments and exams as it worked out cheaper than living in Manchester full time (not sure I could have hacked it anyway) and meant I could keep working as well. I made some friends and enjoyed it, but at the same time I was constantly knackered and totally skint, so just wanted it over and done with.

All in all, university for me was a means to an end, on all 3 occasions. I did not enjoy the student experience when I did my degree, but at the time felt huge pressure amongst my peers, at home and at uni, to pretend otherwise.
Old 22 Apr 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

Ds attended glasgow school of art and is now an architect, he loved it but not the job now, think it was different from what they said it would be.
Dd attend UWS and is now a primary school teacher and loved it and still does.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I went to Manchester Met and studied Early years & Childhood studies as I wanted a job in pastoral care or similar.

I enjoyed it, I lived at home as I couldnt have afforded to live in (I had no financial help from family) and I used to take 3 buses there and 3 buses back, that bit was not enjoyable!

I am proud of myself for sticking with it though and getting my degree, even though I dont use it at the moment.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

1st degree in Commerce in Dundee as a full time student with three part time jobs .

2nd degree in management distance learning at Robert Gordon, Aberdeen while working full time.

Post grad diploma in Business Coaching also done while working full time.

Stil, in a job I dont really like and not sure what I want to do when I grow up
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
What university did you or your child go to?
What subject did you / they study?

More importantly, did you / they enjoy it?

If so or if not, why?
Me: Oxford (first degree), Reading (Masters), Reading (Doctorate) - all in Law. Yes, I enjoyed all of it.

Husband: Oxford (first degree, Modern History), Oxford (Masters, Archeology). Hes doing the Masters now at 67 and seems to be enjoying it!

Daughter: Kent (first degree, Fine Art Photography), Goldsmiths London (Masters, History of Art). She enjoyed the first degree, found the Masters hard, but it got her into the film industry.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I went to the University of Leeds and studied Mathematics. I was from Northumberland but I've stayed here in Yorkshire.

DS1 is hoping going to the University of York in September to study Natural Sciences - he'll stay in halls.

ETA I loved it! I love the area and have stayed.

Edited at 08:19 PM.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post

I am currently at the end of the second year of my degree at the Royal Agricultural University, although it's based at a college in Enfield. My degree is in Animal Management and Zoology.
I hae enjoyed it although currently not being able to go into uni is awful, as I'm trying to work stats out for my research project and I don't have a clue. I'm so stressed I have hardly been sleeping and when I do sleep I get awful nightmares. But once it's done it will be fine again.
I don't have the proper student life as I'm in my 30's with two children.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Me - Environmental management with Geography - Loved it, PGCE with QTS - Hated QTS - both Liverpool hope university
DH Law - Lancaster University - Think he liked the social side more, LPC-Leeds University.

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA

Edited at 08:36 PM.
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DS1 - Geography - Exeter University at the Penryn Campus - loved it - just finished 3rd year.

DS2 - Economics at Lincoln University - just finished 1st year and loves it.

Me - Open BSc with Open University to do my QTS - enjoyed it.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List