Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Cheap little car

Not really looking until November/ December time.
But i do like to plan 😂
Where is the best place to buy a cheap car?
First choice is a Fiat 500 but the cost needs to be under £3000
Is that possible
We lease a car so we have no idea with cars, upkeep etc but this will be for our daughter. The Fiat is what she has her heart set on.
How / what did you do when purchasing a second hand car?
Is it better from a dealer so it will have some form of warranty?

My first car 30 years ago was purchased from our local paper, it was a Metro and the engine blew up after a couple of weeks 😳
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
americangal
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve not long bought my son his first car. A 18 year old Yaris but it’s only done 51k miles. We through a private seller which yes is a gamble but I couldn’t afford one through a dealer. It’s an amazing little car been well looked after.

I checked out is MOT history which can give an idea of how it’s been looke after.

Also check out insurance quotes for when they have passed to make sure running the car is realistic
americangal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by americangal View Post
I’ve not long bought my son his first car. A 18 year old Yaris but it’s only done 51k miles. We through a private seller which yes is a gamble but I couldn’t afford one through a dealer. It’s an amazing little car been well looked after.

I checked out is MOT history which can give an idea of how it’s been looke after.

Also check out insurance quotes for when they have passed to make sure running the car is realistic
Insurance will be pain i imagine.
We are thinking if putting my daughter and i on the same insurance so i can use the car too. We currently only have one car.
She is type 1 diabetic so her insurance might be more expensive?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Insurance will be pain i imagine.
We are thinking if putting my daughter and i on the same insurance so i can use the car too. We currently only have one car.
She is type 1 diabetic so her insurance might be more expensive?
We found it better to have the policy in your childs name and the parent as an additional driver so that she builds up no claims in her own right.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

The main driver has to be declared as such, you can add parents as named drivers if they will be using the vehicle on occasion.

To put the parent as the main driver and the child as named is called fronting and insurance fraud which they look out for.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

They are kinda gutless cars - but fine if you don’t live in the countryside. I know a few people who drive them - they aren’t built for going up hills! (Nor was the punto I drove in spain!)
I should think yourll be able to get something older for that (like 10/11 or something). Find something of the right spec/year on autotrader (of the desirable car - with a clear plate pic) and run it through confused.com for insurance quote (try her as the main driver with you, husband, older siblings ect) there are some weird anomalies in car insurance which means sometimes something kinda sensible won’t be easy to insure.
Other lil cars to check - KA/fiesta, punto, Clio’s, corsa, fox/polo, Skoda Citigo, micra, Peugeot 10/20 series, Hyundai i10/20
Also do a quote for a Ford Focus (the 1l ecoboost is nice, they are really safe cars, and a little bit more pleasurable for you if you need to drive it, and they are common, so you should be able to find a zetec spec for the right price)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve got a Suzuki celerio.
Cheap to insure and run and very reliable. I’ve had mine 2 1/2 years now and no problems.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The main driver has to be declared as such, you can add parents as named drivers if they will be using the vehicle on occasion.

To put the parent as the main driver and the child as named is called fronting and insurance fraud which they look out for.
Oh my word, i never knew that!
It would probably be 60/40 - daughter/me
Old 5 May 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
If she’s the main driver the insurance needs to be in her name .

Smaller engine cars aren’t always the cheapest to insurance either .

My son has a 1.6TDCI Zetec Fiesta and it’s cheaper to insurance than his friends 1.2 Corsa’s and VW Polo’s

Policy is in his name with us both as named drivers .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I sold my 62 plate Fiat 500 in 2017 for £3800, so entirely doable to get one under 3k, mine was immaculate too with super low mileage, just look privately
There is a little white one for sale on our street

Edited at 10:11 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List