Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Portofino

Just switched my hotel from the Waldorf, as I originally wanted to be in the Disney area, to the Portofino. On reflection I've fallen out of love with the majority of the Disney parks, aside from Epcot which I still adore but felt it was silly to stay at or near Disney the whole time for just 1 park. I'm after a more relaxed trip, no more stress of FP+, ADRs, etc.
I haven't been to US/IOA since 2006 so lots to catch up on. Am hoping to stay 1 night at an Epcot resort using a friend's CM discount, she can also get me into Epcot free so I'm fortunate in (hopefully) getting my Epcot 'fix' (World Showcase for the flower festival).
As it's a long time since I've stayed onsite at Universal is there anything that people recommend re. dining or other activities at either the resort hotels or the parks/citywalk?
Also, if you stay onsite at Universal can you charge anything in the parks/other resorts/citywalk back to your hotel?
Thanks

Edited at 08:06 AM.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Hi Clare, I’m already excited for your trip report... you do usually do such a nice luxury trip... x

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Hi Clare, I’m already excited for your trip report... you do usually do such a nice luxury trip... x
Thanks Diane, wish it was sooner lol x
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

It has been a while, but is it really 5 years? Hope you are keeping well (and your parents too)

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Clare yes you can room charge but it's worth checking what their "Hold" is as I'm fairly sure it's a per-night of stay "Hold". I can't remember exactly but RPR was $150/night & not sure if there was a maximum but potentially a lot of unavailable $$$
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
It has been a while, but is it really 5 years? Hope you are keeping well (and your parents too)
Yes 2014 was the last time, scary where time has gone.
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Clare yes you can room charge but it's worth checking what their "Hold" is as I'm fairly sure it's a per-night of stay "Hold". I can't remember exactly but RPR was $150/night & not sure if there was a maximum but potentially a lot of unavailable $$$
SD
Brilliant thank you
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Clare, I think you will love Portofino Bay. It's so serene and has lovely piazzas to explore. Regarding dining, there are a few lovely breakfast spots round the bay such as Starbucks, which you can take wherever you want to eat, or the varied continental buffet at the Trattoria. I loved watching the main piazza coming to life in the morning.

An absolute highlight is listening to the opera singers in the evening with a wee glass of wine - I could do that every night!

We also loved the quiet pool - beautiful and peaceful. We really tore ourselves away to go to the parks. Gill & Peter H have a great trip report from a few years ago.
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Clare, I think you will love Portofino Bay. It's so serene and has lovely piazzas to explore. Regarding dining, there are a few lovely breakfast spots round the bay such as Starbucks, which you can take wherever you want to eat, or the varied continental buffet at the Trattoria. I loved watching the main piazza coming to life in the morning.

An absolute highlight is listening to the opera singers in the evening with a wee glass of wine - I could do that every night!

We also loved the quiet pool - beautiful and peaceful. We really tore ourselves away to go to the parks. Gill & Peter H have a great trip report from a few years ago.
Thanks Chris I’ve stayed before but only for a couple of nights back in 2006, I can’t remember much about PB at all as I didn’t ‘explore’ and only used it as a room to sleep in. This time I’m staying club and intend to make full use of the resort activities.

I love the idea of the opera singers
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
American Bar for a cosmopolitan, my nightly tradition!🍸

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List