Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Jul 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The whale watching looked fab, and a good train journey to NYC in spite of the delay. Your NYC hotel deal seems to be really good value with the breakfast included.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 6. Boats, sights, 1 world, 9/11 Museum, CBGB.. or The fairy tale of New York’, by the lovely Kirsty.

Well, it was up and out early for a rather full agenda. Breakfast in the hotel consisted of pastries, butter, jam, bagels, fruit and Starbucks coffee, basic but well sufficient . It was a case of filling your plate and returning to your room. This worked well for us, before it was out and into the heat for a walk to pier 78 on the Hudson, just below USS Intrepid.
The ferry/tour with Hornblower Cruises was fine, just like last time. It is most certainly the best way to get the best shots of NY in one hit... from the water.

Cunard wharf.

Mandie and Matt

We went downriver, stopped at the World Trade Centre area, out to lady liberty and then up almost as far as Brooklyn Bridge before a return to pier 78. We then stayed with the boat and this time, disembarked at the World Trade Centre area.

Then it was a redemption of our vouchers and up to the top of One World, all 102 floors of it. We queued less than 5 minutes in reaching the short presentation and were up to the top within a minute of entering the fantastic lift with LED screens all around. The views were astonishing.

On exit, it was a search for Cornwall’s greatest hero in many years, Richard Rescorla amongst the engraved names around the two one world remembrance pits. (He is well worth a look on Wiki). A truly inspiring guy.

9/11 Museum next and we were in within 5 minutes of redeeming our vouchers. All 4 of us were in agreement that the museum was amazing, sensitively presented and poignant. It was real ‘hold back the tears ‘ stuff and essential NY viewing.

Fire engine of ladder company No3 from which 11 men died, believed on the 35th floor.

We now were to walk back up Broadway to our hotel, via a detour (and pilgrimage for me) to 315 the Bowery formerly known as CBGB’s. When we reached the junction where we were to divert towards the Bowery, I am very sorry to report that my family mutinied, refused to turn off , called me some names and carried on up Broadway. In times gone by, I could have shot them for insubordination! I intrepidly continued to my destination, now John Varvatos clothes shop. It was instantly recognisable as the temple that it once was and on entering, they were friendly and welcoming. They allowed me to photograph the extensive stickering and graffiti on the walls. They showed me where the bar and the stage used to be. I was in ‘punk heaven’ and I could almost imagine ‘Talking heads’ in front of me and Hilly behind the bar. As a token of appreciation, I looked at a plain vest top with the intention of buying it. The price tag of $188.99 made me put it back, say thank you and leave. it was robbery and I was prepared to call the Police (they played there once). I bet Patty Smith or Debbie Harry would never have paid that.

As it is.

As it was

As it was.(There was only one, unisex loo)

A fitting tribute to a ... talent.

Then it was back to the hotel, just as the rains started.. torrential, horrible, warm, wet rain. I was in Coventry (as opposed to New York) when I entered the room. The only way that I could redeem myself was by offering a meal in ‘5 guys’. We have never been to one as the nearest is 200 miles away in Portsmouth. 2 blocks was nothing!
The trouble was that I didn’t know it was a fast food, Burger King type joint. I thought it was more like Hardrock without guitars. Never mind, the Burger meal was very good indeed, even though I am now a ‘cheapskate’ ($61) and remain in Coventry.
All in all, a great day
P.S We got totally soaked on our brisk walk back to the Hotel, where the TV has gone down in what is now upgraded to a storm.
20089 steps completed (in flip flops)

Edited at 11:21 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Loving your trip! We flew Norwegian on the same flight out of Gatwick and were very impressed too. You were really lucky to be out in 20 minutes as it took us forever (trip report in progress but covers our flight). I love your boat and would never have thought of doing this - well done!

See you live in Penryn. My son was down there for 2 years at University doing a Masters. Lovely place and miss visiting him.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Loving your trip! We flew Norwegian on the same flight out of Gatwick and were very impressed too. You were really lucky to be out in 20 minutes as it took us forever (trip report in progress but covers our flight). I love your boat and would never have thought of doing this - well done!

See you live in Penryn. My son was down there for 2 years at University doing a Masters. Lovely place and miss visiting him.
I look forward to seeing your report. We got off well because we bought very early, got the exit row seats next to the boarding door and went hand luggage only. Dan was first off the plane and I was second.
The only snag is that we got totally drenched tonight including Mandie’s and Matts shoes (Dan and I wear flip flops all summer, home or away). We will struggle to dry them!

Re Penryn, I had a student let for 4 years until Mr Osborne changed the taxation rules and I got out. Students have (largely but not totally) been very good for the town.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

I'd never heard of Rick Rescorla, I'm glad you mentioned him. What a hero. It sounds like many people owe their lives to him.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

Really good TR, we are going to new york at the end of August (after our bonus trip to Florida).

I am another fortunate enough to have studied in Cornwall, in the days when CSM was in C! loved my time there.

When I studied there the was no McD's in Cornwall, let alone a five guys. Some very decent Pasties though.
florida_noob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'd never heard of Rick Rescorla, I'm glad you mentioned him. What a hero. It sounds like many people owe their lives to him.
It was big news in little Cornwall at the time. An interesting career as well as apparently, actions worthy of a Congressional Medal of Honour on the terrible day. Thing is that there were so many other heroes and he is in any case, not American.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by florida_noob View Post
Really good TR, we are going to new york at the end of August (after our bonus trip to Florida).

I am another fortunate enough to have studied in Cornwall, in the days when CSM was in C! loved my time there.

When I studied there the was no McD's in Cornwall, let alone a five guys. Some very decent Pasties though.
I was a Police Officer for my last 10 years in Camborne. An interesting place for a DC to work!

We had no KFC or Maccy’s until 15 yrs back in the whole County and I used to travel to Plymouth for either. Plenty of pasty shops, though!

Edited at 12:13 AM.
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Another good day shame about the rain hope you get a dry one today and Mandie and Matt don't have to walk round in squelchy shoes. Just looked up Rick Rescorla what an interesting read clever man and a true hero putting others before himself
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 7. A walk in the park? Imagine that.

Well today was always going to be a laid back day and we had decided to make it up as we went along.

My feet were rubbed away from the schoolboy error of wearing brand new shoes on a trek (or in this case, Flip-flops ever since arriving ). One of my feet is rubbed away on the top from chafing.. still as we all know, pain is only weakness oozing out and it was time to ‘man up’.

It was Breakfast (similar to yesterday but with a difference)... One ‘customer’ attended in shorts.. just shorts, no shirt, no footwear, no nothing other than shorts and a pot belly. He was of course, British. We were out at 0930 .. it was almost noon! We headed up Broadway and diverted off left to Grand Central Station which was absolutely awesome. Even Mandie conceded grudgingly (I was still almost in Coventry), that it had been worth seeing. The boys were equally impressed, but with the very large Apple sales area... we moved on.

Grand Central Station.

More GCS.

Next it was back to Broadway and North, eventually arriving at the corner of Central Park after visiting Tiffany and the Trump tower.

Mandie seemed rather keen on this stone and it not being priced, I made an enquiry. It seems that if I had to ask, then it was unlikely that I could afford it. It is ‘The Tiffany Diamond’ and apparently has only ever been worn by 3 women, Audrey Hepburn (My vote as most beautiful woman ever), Lady Gaga to the Oscars and... someone I had never heard of.

Entering the extremely secure Trump tower where Dan claims that he has an important appointment.

Dan introducing himself and entering a lift. He was gone some time. Said he was meeting some guy called ‘Donald’ upstairs.

Not everyone seems as keen on this Donald guy as Dan evidently is. Isn’t the punctuation (or lack of) great on his protest board?

The park was as always, impressive and we visited the Dakota (scene of the murder of John Lennon) as well as the Strawberry Fields area of the park. Regrettably, we could not find ‘Central Perk’ bar .. or meet Gunther. I guess he closed shop.

Strawberry fields, Central Park

It was then back down and a visit to the Lego Store at the foot of the Rock before adjourning to our favourite Hardrock Cafe in Times Square. As always, an awesome burger followed.

Times Sq

Awaiting our awesome burgers in the Hard rock.

We then returned to the Hotel via several tatt shops and a Walgreens, as by then an awful lot of weakness was oozing out of my foot!
25502 steps.

Edited at 12:00 AM.