Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 18 Dec 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m re watching the royle family , also a great theme tune
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Hill street blues theme is phenomenal! I hear it, it’s 1981 again and it’s my first ever visit to Florida again...

Loved Jim Rockford, as for H50... Book em Danno! Jack Lord was brilliant!

Do you remember Banacek with George Peppard (pre A team)
Loved Hill Street Blues
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Not really had the time in lockdown but for rampant seventies sexism Tony Curtis and Roger Moore , was it the Persuaders ?
One I remember fondly but suspect might not be as good second time around, the original Randall and Hopkirk Deceased
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

“Rampant 70’s sexism”? That label could be applied to many programmes.

It is so easy for us to judge retrospectively, it was fitting for its time ... when the world was so different - wouldn’t survive now.

I doubt many 70’s shows would survive now;

Love thy neighbour
Til death is do part
Benny hill
Etc Etc

However, they were extremely popular , in their day. I enjoyed them then but accept they are no longer acceptable in today’s society.

What grinds me is when “celebrities” show outrage today but probably roared with laughter when they watched it originally... just accept they were fitting for their time and aren’t now...

It’s really interesting though when today’s generation look back at them and say... “what were you thinking?”... indeed what were we thinking?

Thankfully shows like The good life stand the test of time ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Oh it wasn’t a criticism , it’s a wry comment that attitudes have changed so much . Channel 5 did a series with some of the 70s shows with people commenting , the older commenters were all “yup that was acceptable back then but not now” the younger commenters were genuinely shocked at mainstream TV back then .
Love thy neighbour I always hated as a kid , but the irony of Alf having a good rant was always good.

“Rampant 70’s sexism”? That label could be applied to many programmes.

It is so easy for us to judge retrospectively, it was fitting for its time ... when the world was so different - wouldn’t survive now.

I doubt many 70’s shows would survive now;

Love thy neighbour
Til death is do part
Benny hill
Etc Etc

However, they were extremely popular , in their day. I enjoyed them then but accept they are no longer acceptable in today’s society.

What grinds me is when “celebrities” show outrage today but probably roared with laughter when they watched it originally... just accept they were fitting for their time and aren’t now...

It’s really interesting though when today’s generation look back at them and say... “what were you thinking?”... indeed what were we thinking?

Thankfully shows like The good life stand the test of time ...
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Amazing-Grace
Imagineer

Amazing-Grace's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We watched an episode of Nearest & Dearest 1968-‘73
Nellie & Eli Pledge
Hilarious 😂
Old 18 Dec 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We’ve been watching Seinfeld from the early 90s, missed it at the time but it was recommended to us by our 24 year old son! It’s all on Amazon Prime at the mo, we’re on Season 9 😊 When we finish it we’ve got Curb Your Enthusiasm lined up to watch.
Old 18 Dec 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tweety-pie View Post
We’ve been watching Seinfeld from the early 90s, missed it at the time but it was recommended to us by our 24 year old son! It’s all on Amazon Prime at the mo, we’re on Season 9 😊 When we finish it we’ve got Curb Your Enthusiasm lined up to watch.
This is one programme I never watched... passed me by
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is one programme I never watched... passed me by
Yes I think at the time we were just married , then having babies and thought it was another rubbish sitcom! We only really watched it as our son was on about it in lockdown. The first few episodes looked so old fashioned but we absolutely love it now, love the characters and don’t want it to end!
Old 19 Dec 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Just watching another 70s classic. Starsky & Hutch. Now I can’t decide who’s car was most iconic. Starsky’s red & white Gran Torino or the Duke boy’s General Lee

Edited at 04:11 PM.
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List