Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Cars. We used a Rav 4 last time and that height makes a sizeable difference in all round visibility without getting into the realms of big cars (I have never owned anything bigger than a Golf). With 2 of you it would be perfect. I discarded a Convertible for 2 reasons, 1 relevant to you.. Family size and the fact that when it gets hot, it would be roof up and aircon on.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Cars. We used a Rav 4 last time and that height makes a sizeable difference in all round visibility without getting into the realms of big cars (I have never owned anything bigger than a Golf). With 2 of you it would be perfect. I discarded a Convertible for 2 reasons, 1 relevant to you.. Family size and the fact that when it gets hot, it would be roof up and aircon on.
My dads got a RAV4.

I agree it’s a good size car, always feels safe
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Good tip, in a normal time Yosemite and Grand Canyon South Rim can book out a year in advance for the most popular places to stay.
Absolutely

There are a few places to stay just outside which are worth considering too
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
RV wise, you need to calculate the full price, base Costa look appealing, but when you add on the mileage costs and the the fact the charge for bedding, cutlery etc all as add-ons it can get expensive. Other thing to look at is whether there is an RV park near where you want to stop, they can be in some less convenient places in the cities, but great locations out in the national parks etc.

Car hire wise, firstly look at fly drives as they can work out cheapest. Other than that shop around. Typically I have found going direct is cheaper than agents, although last time Andy was the cheapest.quite often it is the deals from joining their clubs that can make the difference.

For the Airbnb type places it is a bit of a mess and risk as different counties have different rules and they can change between booking and renting. The county that stopped their process of making them illegal was in San Diego if I remember correctly.
Airbnb is a great way to travel west coast. It’s like booking any accommodation just do the checks and if possible use superhosts . 3 trips over 6/7 states never a problem.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for us we have done San Diego, LA, Palm Springs, Vegas, Grand Canyon, PCH , Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Fran, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Yellowstone.
The places we would recommend most ,Yellowstone flying into Denver and onto Bozeman and driving into park via Baer tooth pass , 11,000 ft just stunning, snowball fight on the 4 th of July. Lake Tahoe was a lovely place to have a couple of relaxing days. Yosemite was just fantastic and to see El Capitan that people have climbed without ropes is insane, lots of great walk for all fitness levels, our favourite was up to vernal falls and down the John Muir path. Tioga pass and glacier point stunning.
Monterey we love maybe more than some as we’re golfers and so many courses, but one of the best things we have ever done is whale watching with sanctuary cruises. Lots of other companies. On PCH there are lots of places to stop and a photo opportunity at every bend in the road. Elephant seal beach at San Simeon was a great thing to see.
San Fran lots to see , Disney museum, Alcatraz night tour, cycle bridge to Sausalito stunning, and back on the ferry.
Some food for thought, any questions happy to try and help.
Vehicle large SUV for us on road trip.

Edited at 01:02 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List