Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Would make the drive?

We were due to land in FLL at 8.10pm and so were staying overnight near the airport to drive up the next day. Now we land at 2.25pm so could reasonably start heading north then. I’ve always fancied a night at Vero beach. Would you do the drive or have a night in FLL?
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

We're having 3 nights in FLL to explore before going up for 2 weeks at Disney.

Always nice to see somewhere new (and poss go to Miami as well) and chill a little before hitting the parks

If you have the time I would tag the extra on.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

Are you flying directly into FLL or do you have another entry point into the US? Assuming you would need to clear immigration at FLL you should probably figure on a couple of hours from landing to get out of the airport including immigration, customs, baggage and collecting your car. So you'd be leaving about 4.30pm. If you come in on a week day you have to figure in more traffic around the 595 and 95. But you would probably need the best part of 3 hours meaning you are arriving around 7.30pm which is 12.30am for your body clock. Armed with that information you then have to decide if it's worth it!
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

We landed sept on the 2pm landing we drove straight up it wasn’t as bad as we thought we stopped halfway for some food I’m sure we arrived at cbr around 7 ish 8 at the latest would definitely do it again
Old 17 Feb 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by POFQfan View Post
Are you flying directly into FLL or do you have another entry point into the US? Assuming you would need to clear immigration at FLL you should probably figure on a couple of hours from landing to get out of the airport including immigration, customs, baggage and collecting your car. So you'd be leaving about 4.30pm. If you come in on a week day you have to figure in more traffic around the 595 and 95. But you would probably need the best part of 3 hours meaning you are arriving around 7.30pm which is 12.30am for your body clock. Armed with that information you then have to decide if it's worth it!
I hadn’t realised traffic would add so much driving time. I’d estimated about 2 hours (which we’d be fine with) but 3 might be a bit much. Is there another staging point on the way up that anyone would recommend?
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
I hadn’t realised traffic would add so much driving time. I’d estimated about 2 hours (which we’d be fine with) but 3 might be a bit much. Is there another staging point on the way up that anyone would recommend?
Have a look at google maps for directions from the airport to where you’re thinking of staying as this will give you an estimated journey time taking into account live traffic information. If you do this on the time/day of the week you’re arriving it should give you a good idea of what the traffic will be like. That should give you a better idea of whether to travel up on arrival or not.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
dancingbear
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We are landing almost exactly same time. I am looking to book a room maybe round Deerfield beach or boca raton
dancingbear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

Google maps tells you it will be around two and a half hours. Traffic around rush hour is like anywhere else in the world - busy on a weekday but at least you aren't flying into Miami which would be worse at that time as it is so close to the city. Still, even though FLL is on the outskirts of Fort Lauderdale you have to figure on some slow traffic especially coming onto the 95 at that time. Additionally, southern Florida drivers are bonkers so you need to take extra care!

As far as anywhere else to stay, we like Palm Beach which is a lovely place to stay. Might not be as far north as you would like to get though.
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. I’ve got this fancy idea of staying in a hotel overlooking the ocean, firstly because our boys have never stayed in a hotel before so I love the idea of them staying somewhere with a bit of wow and the day after we land is our wedding anniversary, so it would be nice to feel we’re somewhere a bit special. When we landed later there was no point picking somewhere other than a bed for the night, but having a few hours of light to relax makes a difference. At the same time, it’s a staging post so (unless we could stay at Disney’s VB) I wouldn’t want to spend a fortune. I’ve looked at the Marriott on Hutchinson Island, which looks an option but anywhere nice heading north would give us a head start for the next day.
Old 18 Feb 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. I’ve got this fancy idea of staying in a hotel overlooking the ocean, firstly because our boys have never stayed in a hotel before so I love the idea of them staying somewhere with a bit of wow and the day after we land is our wedding anniversary, so it would be nice to feel we’re somewhere a bit special. When we landed later there was no point picking somewhere other than a bed for the night, but having a few hours of light to relax makes a difference. At the same time, it’s a staging post so (unless we could stay at Disney’s VB) I wouldn’t want to spend a fortune. I’ve looked at the Marriott on Hutchinson Island, which looks an option but anywhere nice heading north would give us a head start for the next day.
We have flown into Miami before and drive to vero beach... it took approx 3hrs from Miami I think.. we checked in to Disney vero beach kids had a quick 15min swim as the pool closes at 10pm.. we had an ocean view room so when we woke in the morning at stupid o’clock it was dark we headed to the beach about 6.30/7am watched the sun rise.. followed the turtle patrol, walked along the beach before heading bavk for breakfast... was lovely