Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 14 Jan 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Brands we would not buy again are Sony Vaio and Lenovo. I picked the Sony because it came in pink but it went for repairs three times within months and I think I contacted head of Sony UK before I finally got it resolved (i.e. a refund).

DH is techy and so does a bit more research than me on laptops but has just had to replace his last one, the Lenovo, far more quickly than he should have needed to.
i'm also a techy and i've been using lenovo laptops for work now for the last 8 years or so and not had an issue. however, i've been using the higher end kit (x201, x220, T480p) - the one time i got lumbered with a lower end lenovo (L480) it was a pile of crap that had such a sharp edge it actually hurt my palms to use it! they eventually relented after realising it wasnt fit for purpose and gave me the t480p, which has been fantastic.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i'm also a techy and i've been using lenovo laptops for work now for the last 8 years or so and not had an issue. however, i've been using the higher end kit (x201, x220, T480p) - the one time i got lumbered with a lower end lenovo (L480) it was a pile of crap that had such a sharp edge it actually hurt my palms to use it! they eventually relented after realising it wasnt fit for purpose and gave me the t480p, which has been fantastic.
That's what drove us to Macs! Bad experience with cheaper PC's - didn't feel confident and buying more expensive models.

How do you rate the Chrome Books?
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

at home, i use macs (2011 & 2018 mac mini, 2014 macbook pro) and love them, however macos is an acquired taste, and if you're really used to windows, you may absolutely hate moving to a mac.

i also have a chromebook, which doesnt get used very often anymore, but its a great bit of kit. i also moved my mum over to a chromebook a few years ago, and she is very happy with it too (she still uses it daily) - as long as you dont have to run a specific app, and everything you do is web based, a chromebook could be a good option. moving from ms office to google docs can be weird if youre *really* used to the finer workings of ms office, but otherwise, for most users, i would say a chromebook is a very good choice!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Genuinely didn't know there were people who don't buy Macs.

Wow.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Genuinely didn't know there were people who don't buy Macs.

Wow.
My budget won’t stretch, sadly.😥
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
before we begin with any advice on replacements, i think you need to elaborate on what was wrong with your cheap laptop, as unless it was severely defective, a cheap laptop should do pretty much what you list perfectly, and theres a good chance you will just be repeating your issues with a new desktop replacement. maybe a ram upgrade on the laptop will solve your issues, or a reinstall of windows. or even using it with an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and treating it as a desktop machine...
It's just very very slow, from switching it on until I can open anything (docs, websites, e mails etc). At a guess I'd say 20 seconds. Is that normal, am I expecting too much to find anything faster ?

Budget £600-£700 very tops.

Edited at 11:25 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
My budget won’t stretch, sadly.😥
Sorry - I was only joking.

Whilst the up-front cost of a Mac is generally higher, you should more than recoup that with the longevity you enjoy and, even then, subsequent re-sale value.

(But I fully appreciate that the initial outlay might not be possible)

Good luck getting something!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Brands we would not buy again are Sony Vaio and Lenovo.
Bit off topic, but I'm currently typing this from a Lenovo ThinkPad T440p laptop. I've had it for 4+ years and I inherited it from someone else at work who'd had it for a couple of years before that. It's surprisingly good, it's quick to boot and use, and I've never had a problem with it. Mind you, it is a business laptop.

I also have a (cheap) Lenovo at home. It's ok and quick to boot/use but I have noticed that the battery doesn't hold it's charge.

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
It's just very very slow, from switching it on until I can open anything (docs, websites, e mails etc). At a guess I'd say 20 seconds. Is that normal, am I expecting too much to find anything faster ?
Twenty seconds from switching on to being able to open docs and websites? That's pretty quick. That doesn't sound slow at all to me.

Or do you mean it takes 20 seconds from clicking on a program or selecting a document before it opens? That sounds a bit slow.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I use a USB mouse with my laptop and really love it - my only problem with a laptop as opposed to a desktop was using the touchpad. It is white, so an easy to read keyboard.

I have an HP Pavillion, 17" was bought for £549 a year or so ago. It is SSD so quick to start, 8G memory, the battery lasts ages too - or you can have it plugged in like a desktop anyhow.

I love my laptop and would buy exactly the same one to replace it if I could.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
... Twenty seconds from switching on to being able to open docs and websites? That's pretty quick. That doesn't sound slow at all to me.

Or do you mean it takes 20 seconds from clicking on a program or selecting a document before it opens? That sounds a bit slow.
This. It’s long enough to irritate me every time, so it might be more than 20 secs. It’s slower than my desktop ever was.