Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 25 Oct 18, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

HELP my photos are named .CRV file

Please, please, please can someone help me. 🙏🏻

I’ve downloaded all my photos from our holiday and a significant number of them seem to have .crv extension. Both the camera and sd card are new so it could be a problem with either of them.

I didn’t knowingly make a change on my camera or card. I’ve checked manufacturers websites, help pages etc and can’t find anything to help or even reference. I’ve contacted the camera manufacturer and they haven’t come back to me yet

I’ve searched the internet and that’s not helped either.

It’s affected about 600 photos in the middle of our extended holiday and I am gutted that I can’t see them and feel sick at the thought of never being able to see/use them.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any ideas of what I can do?
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

thats weird. crv files are (were?) used in corel photopaint, so i'm not sure why your camera would use this format. what make/model is it?

you can grab a trial of corel photopaint from here: coreldraw/en/pages/photo-paint/

are you sure they are not CRW or CR2? they are canon raw files, and much more widely used. there should be tools on the disc that came with the camera to read/convert them.

also, try irfanview, it will read most file formats and is free - i use it regularly for batch processing of images: irfanview/

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Firstly, don't do anything with your memory card (other than try and read it or extract the data). Don't continue to use it, delete files from it or format it etc.

When you say download, do you mean take the photos off your camera/phone or from cloud storage?

If you don't mind sending me a file I'll have a look at it for you and see if there is a simple solution like a batch conversion in the right software.

Can you let me know the make/model of the device you took the photos on too. It may have it's own proprietary file extension as a default setting (unlikely though).

I used to do forensic data recovery, hence my advice not to interfere with your memory card as it makes the job a little trickier if you have deleted the files or formatted the card.

*EDIT* If your camera is a Canon, can you confirm you have the file extension correct as .CRV! as the Canon camera RAW format is .CRW. I own a Canon SLR and it does have 3 options to save image files as 1: jpg only, 2: RAW (.CRW) only or 3: both file types. If you have a memory card half full of .jpg files and and equal number of .RAW files it may be that the camera file handling settings are set to save both file types. The RAW files duplicate the content of the jpg files but are uncompressed. They also are much bigger files and fill up your memory card much more quickly and are really only useful to photographers who go on to edit their pictures with Photoshop or similar software.

Mike.

Edited at 05:08 PM.
Mike_Swannick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Did you get this problem resolved?

Mike.
Old 28 Nov 18, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Thanks Mike and Wanye. Sorry for the delay in coming back to you, life has been taking sizeable junks out me recently.

I’ve not had the time to look or try anything as every time I plan to do so something else happens and becomes the priority - quite often my elderly parents.

I promise to come back to you and let you know how I get on. Mike is it ok for me to PM you when I’ve had time to look at them properly again - you sound like you know significantly more than I do 😁
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Yes that's fine. Make sure you keep the data safe until then
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

So nearly a year later 😳 but it looks like it’s now sorted 👍🏻

Despite what I was told by canon customer service it was a canon raw file extension and until the latest Microsoft update our pc couldn’t read the file.

Thank you for all your help Mike and Wayne, it was appreciated, even though I didn’t have the time to follow up with you.

KBD
Old 7 Oct 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Hurray! Glad you got it sorted
Old 7 Oct 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

glad you sorted it eventually

btw, i checked on irfanview, and you need to install a plugin to read canon raw files, but it's well worth doing. it really is a great little FREE photo viewer/batch processor tool

irfanview/
and (for the plugins)
irfanview/plugins.htm
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List