Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 15 Nov 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

Universal AP Benefits - Help!

Ok, looking at buying one Preferred AP for next year to take advantage of the discounts etc but that's the first question. If I become an AP holder but my wife isn't does that cause an issue with say, using the AP discount to buy HHN tickets etc? I presume not?

The main two questions I have though, does anyone know what sort of discount you get on the hotels? I know it says around 30% for the Premier ones but has anyone got some real world evidence?

Second question, do you get discount on HHN RIP tour? If so, how much?

Trying to work out whether it's worth the extra to get one AP instead of two 14 day tickets as the food and merch discounts by themselves probably wouldn't make it worthwhile.
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

well I can't say for HHN, so I won't answer on that one to avoid giving false or incomplete info.

but for hotels, discounts are not guaranteed

there must be a discounted room (APH rate) for your dates, and the savings can be up to 30%

let's make it clear from the start, that if your stay is 7 nights or longer, your AP discounts will not be better than the SMSM rate (Stay More Save More) that gets anyone up to 30% off depending on length of stay

APH rates are usually released around 3 months out
you talk about HHN nights, be advised that, on weekend nights, Universal has been known to put minumum length of stay requirements, to avoid AP holders booking one nighters at busy times. So one nighters might not be available on many dates around HHN time

also consider that APH discounts are in very limited numbers, and will quite often be applied on higher tier rooms (suites, and stuff)

so your discount could mean getting a better view at the price of a standard, and not always a real discount IYSWIM

Ok that sounds negative, but it all depends on when, and how long you go for. And it may work for you, it's just impossible to foretell if you'll find APH rates for your date, or if you'll be quick enough to snatch one if it ever shows.

first of all you need this link to be able to search APH rates
res.windsurfercrs/ibe/de...D=1&&promo=aph
just make sure you use this, as you see at the end of the url promo=aph that's the key

if you see passholder rates on the result page after you submit the dates and all, then you've won the lottery :p if you only see seasonnal rate, then it's rack rate, if you see stay more save more it's the general public discounted rate

I'm afraid there is nothing more I can tell you, as it's really hit or miss, and APH discounts on rooms is not like discounts on merch or dining, where you get an automatic discount
for some dates, no APH rates are ever release or they are on suites at $700+ a night

good hunting

PS : you don't need a premier AP to get the max AP discount on hotels, I have a preferred and get it, when it's offered.

btw don't forget that if you go for one AP and a 14 days ticket for your wife, you would need to upgrade to 3 parks AP if you want to visit volcano bay (or if you visit before upgrading)

also remember that even being an AP holder, parking will NOT be free at universal hotels, even when you stay there.

Edited at 12:31 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

That's really useful thanks chmurf as I'd found some info about the APH code but you mentioning seeing passholder rates tells me what I should be seeing, should there be any. From the looking I'd been doing using the code I could only see SMSM and Seasonal Rates and didn't know if I was doing it wrong.

We're looking at 4 nights so could be a decent saving and two nights of HHN, one of them doing the RIP tour. Depending on what the saving is for HHN it could still work out as worth doing.

It was the 3 park AP I was looking at so no issues there. Shame I can't use the AP discounts to get the other ticket other than on the gate. Not having a car this time either so the parking isn't an issue/saving.
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

Anyone know what the saving is on HHN tickets then?