Notices

Old 31 May 18, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

The Highlands Fling August 2019

Well, we weren't going to go to WDW in 2019. We fancied somewhere different.

Out last trip in August 2018 was a full on experience with no rest days where we stayed at AKL and had a couple days at Universal staying at Hard Rock Hotel. We loved it but came back exhausted and there were times where it was a 'bit much'.

Our step daughter is going to Mexico for her honeymoon and the BIL has been there too and loved it so I started investigating some al inclusive holidays there. We were 'almost certain' that this was the place for our next holiday.

The prices were good and the hotels looked nice but there was always something 'wrong' ie people reported the daily fight for a sun lounger, dodgy tummies from the buffet food left out all day etc etc so I started having doubts.

DH and DD were no good at all as they said they weren't bothered

I didn't want to risk paying a lot of money for a holiday that may turn out to be not what we wanted so our thoughts turned back to WDW. We didn't want an all out trip again this year so I had a look at some Dibb villas so we could spend a lot more time relaxing and there is nothing better than your own pool. We have done on site twice which is great when you spend a lot of time at the parks but thought we wouldn't get the full effect if we spent most of our time by the pool.

It was just our little family of 3 going this year so I set about looking for 4 bed villas. DD is starting college this year and doesn't start until the second week of September and we realized that flights could be had at a much cheaper price than the last 2 weeks in August which we had been for the last 2 trips.

After a lot of researching we decided on a Dibb Villa at Highlands Reserve. DH will be the only driver (I drive but am too scared to drive over there) and the villa is on the edge of the resort within walking distance of Berry Town Centre so it is perfect for us.

So deposit paid and all sorted

I had a quick look at fly drive at Virgin but they were took expensive and also at TUI and Thomas Cook but am going to wait until all the flights come out later in the year.

Ideally we want to fly from Manchester but if a good deal can be got from flying from Gatwick then so be it but it's an awful journey down there. Plus we love staying at the Radisson at Manchester Airport but we shall see.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP

Edited at 09:36 AM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Update

After being an avid reader of Wizzos trip report we thought a nice day by the coast would be a good idea. So we have decided to go to St Pete’s for a change as been to Clearwater a few times including a week on honeymoon. Grand Plaza has been booked via Travel Republic and £10 deposit paid for a partial sea view room. Wizzo must be on commission for all the Dibb business he has drummed up

ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

We have a Dibb villa on Highlands Reserve booked for October. Just wondered which villa you have booked?
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Update

After being an avid reader of Wizzos trip report we thought a nice day by the coast would be a good idea. So we have decided to go to St Pete’s for a change as been to Clearwater a few times including a week on honeymoon. Grand Plaza has been booked via Travel Republic and £10 deposit paid for a partial sea view room. Wizzo must be on commission for all the Dibb business he has drummed up

The revolving restaurant at the top and Bongos on the beach are both good.
Old 5 Jun 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
We have a Dibb villa on Highlands Reserve booked for October. Just wondered which villa you have booked?
There are only 3 of us so we have a 4 bed villa called Tigger's Villa

Old 5 Jun 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
The revolving restaurant at the top and Bongos on the beach are both good.
Definitely got my eye on Bongos - looking forward to a cocktail in the sand

Old 5 Jun 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

So, I have been thinking of Fastpasses. For the last 2 trips we have stayed on site and so have been able to book fastpasses at 60 days out. I have been worrying about booking at 30 days and my thoughts turned to a one night stay at a Disney Hotel and therefore getting Magic Bands, 2 nights parking and the 60 day daily FP booking. For one night at somewhere like POR through Disney is it £247 which, when you take off the MB etc isn't too bad. But then I thought about renting DVC points and through Dave's DVC Rentals we can get either Beach Club Villas or Bay Lake Villas for the same price. So I am going to wait a few months and hopefully book one of these - I'm discounting Boardwalk Villas as can't be doing with the clown at the pool and DD said the GF looked like an old people's home when we went there for a drink last year

It is $112 part payment to book through Dave then you pay the rest when the booking has been confirmed. It also means that DH can have a drink and we don't have to pay for an Uber each way

Old 5 Jun 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

We LOVE highlands Reserve having stayed there for the past 3 years and have another villa booked there next Easter. Fab place
Old 5 Jun 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

We have actually stayed in that villa - very nice patio furniture and room to manoeuvre the sun loungers 😀

We also stayed on St Pete last month in a hotel down the beach from the Grand Plaza - god I loved that place!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
We have actually stayed in that villa - very nice patio furniture and room to manoeuvre the sun loungers 😀

We also stayed on St Pete last month in a hotel down the beach from the Grand Plaza - god I loved that place!
I did a lot of searching for the right villa for us and fingers crossed it is. Perfect size, looks lovely and the fact that we can walk to Applebee’s and a couple of bars sealed the deal. Can’t wait

Did you write a trip report?