Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
shimmers
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Packing and suitcases for roadtrip

Sorry for all the questions! Hopefully my last one! Our family of 4 are on a roadtrip from San Fran via Yosemite, Vegas, Grand Canyon ending in Anaheim in two weeks time. Any tips on packing and moving from hotel to hotel? Do we take in our entire suitcase every time or is there a better way of doing things? Sorry for silly question bit these forums have been so helpful in planning this trip. Thank you!
shimmers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
room_512
Excited about Disney

We took ours in each time but ended up living out of them rather than unpacking unless we were there more than 2 nights.

Also, what type of car have you hired, remember in an SUV there is no way to stop people seeing into the car, so if you leave your luggage in there it could be vulnerable.
room_512 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Mobile

Main tip take half of what you think you need. Especially if you can do a quick wash
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
shimmers
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We have hired an SUV so yes.. luggage more visible.
shimmers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Shmee
Imagineer

We took 3 large cases for 4 people for 3 weeks. I had no intention of washing (and didn’t so washing was a nightmare when we came home) so took 21 outfits for each of us. We used packing cubes, packed by location, labelled each cube and took out the appropriate cubes at each hotel. We took all cases into the hotel but only opened the one we needed. I took a big bag in the case and put all toiletries, straighteners and things we needed at all hotels in that for travelling between each stop. It worked really well. It was the first time we used packing cubes and it made it so much easier, don’t know what we would have done without them!

Edited at 11:10 PM.
Shmee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We had a suitcase each and took them into each hotel we stayed at. We also lived out of them just hung up the things we needed. We tried to organise the cases in the order we needed and it seemed to work OK. We didn’t do any washing, I had a bag for everyone’s that we would leave in our vehicle and we just packed it into the cases at the end of the trip.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Takecthem in every time but coloured packing cubes are your friend on a road trip
Pack one cube per person for each leg of the trip with of course the essentials for each stop in a separate cube
Only open the case for that leg give every body there cube plus every day extras then repack with the cube with dirty stuff and put in case
Till next destination with laundry facilities and pick up on your first stop at a grocery store Downy Wrinkle release spray a god sent item on a road trip or cruise and a tide stain remover pen just in case saved many an itenntill I found my favorite stain remover forvhomecin the Us and traveling
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Definitely use packing cubes. On our California trip last year we didn't use packing cubes and it was a bit of a pain. However this year on our Canada /Florida/cruise trip which involved 7 different places we found cubes invaluable. I wasn't sure how to pack them so mainly did item types per cube so shorts, in one tshirts in one, dresses in one etc. We each had our own cubes apart from socks I put mine and my husbands socks together in one. This method worked very well for us. The only place I fully unpacked was the ship.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are currently in Dan Diego on the last night of our road trip. We always use packing cubes, they make everything so much easier and neater. We have an SUV too so no luggage cover but the windows are really dark so luggage is not obvious unless you peer in. I did mean to pack a black sheet to cover it but forgot!
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I prefer to cube by item type per person rather than by outfit.
Washing is no big deal , most hotels have washers and dryers by a pool so you aren't sitting inside by a machine but loading and returning . I tend to pack for a week or so. Makes multistops easier with less luggage to shift too.
I certainly couldn't be doing with two or three weeks of washing when I got home.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List