wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Arrow Pizza, Wings and Stranger Things 2019 Day 8

Day Eight – 18th August 2019

THE INDEX IS HERE

So if you were bored by yesterday’s ‘fishing day’ you probably should skip ahead to Day 9 as today is the same again in a different location.

We met Cpt. Fred early today in the hope of catching the fish feeding in the cool of the morning. We got up at 5:45am. I say “We” but we were a man down. As Lynn and I had predicted before we set off on this holiday, two days fishing was 1.75 days too much for Lauren and she stayed in bed. Maddy on the other hand is made of sterner stuff like her Dad.

Today we had the same boat and the same captain, but we are swapping the salt water of the intercoastal waterways for the fresh water of the Imperial River. We went up river from the boat launch and saw some lovely scenery and some great houses. This was a real bayou type of a river.

We said good morning to a couple of English ladies enjoying a cup of tea on a boat dock on the steam upriver. If that was you ladies, are you Dibbers?

We were only targeting the bigger sport fish today and it meant some very accurate casting was required. Casting a lure as hard as you can skimming it off the water and 6ft into mangrove roots was certainly something I wasn’t used to. It took me half a day to master casting into this undergrowth and if you didn’t get your lure right in amongst the roots, you had no chance of a bite.

Luckily for Maddy (who can’t cast to save her life), Cpt. Fred was a professional and he hooked her a Snook early on and handed her the rod to play it into the boat.

She was delighted with it as you can see. It was lovely spending time with Maddy today, she’s rapidly becoming a teenager and today might be one of the last days I get when it’s just her and her Dad doing fun stuff like fishing.

Both me and Fred were getting bites but they were tentative and hard to hook. Undeterred I carried on. I love this type of fishing. The constant moving up the river and every new cast into a hole or mangrove root could yield a bite. It didn’t but I still enjoyed every minute 😊

Half way through our session we gave up going upstream, Maddy had caught that one snook but we struggled to hook anymore. Instead we headed downstream to where the river opens up a bit and into bigger mangroves to try our luck in a different spot.

Finally I managed to tempt a Snook out of the mangrove roots. It was tiny but I’d worked my nuts off all day to tempt this little sod into biting.

Even the dogs are happy to be out fishing in this part of Florida!

Fred hooked another small Snook for Maddy as our session was coming to an end which she was chuffed with again.

and the one that got away...

As we started our way back up to the boat dock (fishing as we went), Fred hooked a cracker from deep within the mangrove roots. He was lucky to get it out and once it was in open water he offered me the chance to play it in (it was too big for Maddy). I’ve been fishing since I was a boy and the last thing I’d ever do would be to take the credit for someone else’s fish, so I politely told him it was all his and to make sure he landed it!

He did, and it was a belter!

I wasn’t jealous at all! I’d pulled my pluck out over these two days and this was the only decent fish we saw but that’s why the call it ‘fishing’ and not ‘catching’

This was the last action of the day and we headed back in.

I didn’t witness this but Maddy recalled later that at some point captain Fred leaned over the side of the boat, licked the water and went “Salllttyyyyy” (think Jack Nicholson in the Shinning). She still talks about this incident now. It made a lasting impression on her. She’s convinced Fred was loopy.

As we approached the dock we were treated to a Manatee sighting which was an added bonus. It’s always nice seeing these gentle giants. We saw so much wildlife in the last couple of days from Alligators to Osprey and Roseate Spoonbills. Too many birds to mention that I’d never seen before.

We thanked Fred for all his efforts, he’d tried so many spots to try and find some feeding fish for us but they just weren’t ‘on the bite’. It didn’t detract from a great couple of days for me, I love being out on the water casting away, the fish are always a bonus.

Once back at the villa, we were frazzled, it had been a hot one and the pool was the perfect tonic again.

As you can see, the weather had finally broke, that West to East flow had gone and we were back into proper summer weather. Cpt Fred had said how lucky we had been to come when we did because the previous month was terrible weather.

We reveled in the sunshine and the old ‘Toypedo’ was with us once more. The most inappropriately named children’s toy of all time.

Homeland security always open the case that contains this on the way home and this year was no different

The rest of the afternoon was a blur of chlorine and beer.

At some point I took some random photos of the villa. This was the biggest pool and best pool table we had ever had which makes it the best villa we’ve ever had.

We had always planned to eat in the villa for these four nights and tonight our takeaway of choice was Pizza Hut.

The star of the show were the wings and the boneless buffalo which my notes remind me were ‘Gorgeous’. The Hershey’s brownie and Cinnabon Minis with extra frosting were also ‘Fabulous’ according to my notes.

For once we didn’t watch Stranger things tonight instead we watched Penn and Teller (always a firm favourite in our house).

Tomorrow we are leaving Cape Coral and heading up to St Pete Beach and the intention was to stop off in Sarasota and have homemade pie at a place called Yoders. Some of you will have seen it on Man vs Food (it has nothing to do with Star Wars).

Half way through Penn and Teller Lynn blurts out “Oh no! Yoders is closed tomorrow for their annual deep clean! ”

We have planned to go here so many times and something always transpires against us, it’s uncanny. We’ll make it one day!

Tomorrow – Shopping and St Pete Beach

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

The villa looks amazing, what do you do with the fish you catch?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
The villa looks amazing, what do you do with the fish you catch?
Throw them back

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lovely Dad and Daughter day

Joan
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What a lovely dad and daughter time! Sounds like a fun trip out.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Another great day, glad the weather improved for you!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

How amazing to live in one of those houses by the water 😍
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

Youre gonna needa bigger boat lol looked like a fantastic Day had by all
bennyboy0751 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What a fab Dad/Daughter Day! Those homes on the water look fantastic!
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
prettymiarose
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Freshwater fishing is way more fun for the challenge! Our 12 yr old daughter loves a fishing trip! That guys shining reference was so funny