wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Arrow Pizza, Wings and Stranger Things 2019 Day 9

Day Nine – 19th August 2019

THE INDEX IS HERE

The positive feedback on ‘Lynn’s Photos’ has been staggering on this trip report to date. I’m hoping it is sarcasm but if it is a genuine love of crap photos then today is another belter. It’s predominately a travel day as we head from Cape Coral up the coast to St Pete Beach which means Lynn had some serious camera time.

Our day started around 8am. We were in no rush as our usual hotel (Grand Plaza) at St. Pete doesn’t start checking in till 4pm and they are notorious for rarely allowing early check-ins. Check out at the villa was also a sensible 11am so we spent the morning having breakfast, packing and tidying up. By 11am the cases were in the car, the keys were back in the lock box and Lynn was in charge of the camera. With so much time to kill today we decided to get a bit of shopping done and try a new mall for us, Mirormar Outlets. I don’t know about you, but in recent years the Malls of Orlando haven’t been particularly cheap and that hasn’t just been down to the exchange rate. Bargains seem harder to find these days. We set off hoping Mirormar would be better having read some good reviews in the Dibb and Trip Advisor. We had to head south to this mall before heading back north again later which gives Lynn even more time in charge of the shutter.

Brace yourselves…..

Mirormar Outlets looked like every other mall, had all the usual shops and we visited most of them. Thankfully I only have one shop photo and it appears to be A & F

You get the idea from that photo. The girls endlessly look at clothes while I trooper around behind them looking forlorn.

You may have noticed Maddy’s Stranger Things backpack in that last photo that we finally managed to track down a couple of days ago. You wouldn’t believe how much she wanted this, especially as you couldn’t get them in the UK.

To keep myself amused I would ask Lauren in every shop if they had Wi-Fi knowing that it was the first thing she did when she entered any shop or restaurant (she was banned from roaming). Sometimes we would forget over the course of the holiday and then Wi-Fi would be mentioned, and Lauren would always pipe up “There’s free Wi-Fi” God knows what she (or any teenager) would do if the internet ever broke for a significant period of time. Do you think they would ride their bikes to their friends houses and knock on the door? I doubt it.

Anyway, it was lunchtime, Subway was rammed, and the only other real option was Mr Pretzel. Half our order was already prepared (like Greggs) and the other half was to be cooked ‘fresh’ so I waited inside while the girls ate and took appalling photos.

More shops followed. Lauren and Lynn bought designer handbags and me and Maddy got a bargain on a pair of Oakleys each. The offer was buy a full price pair and get a second pair half price. So Maddy bought a full price (Vault price so already discounted) and I got some Flak Jackets that were already discounted. It meant I got some Flaks for $50. I shared the total discount with Maddy though. So there are bargains still out there in Florida, you just have to look hard! I know this because I’ve looked at Oakleys the last two trips and they were the same price as back home. In all I had to wait 3 years for this.

More sundries were bought and we didn’t’ end up leaving till 3pm! I quite liked Mirormar Mall. The only problem with it was it wasn’t a loop. So if you had to go back to the first shop you looked in (like we always do!) you had to walk all the way back instead of just continuing around a circular loop like most other outlet malls seem to be.

We hit the road with the weather looking a little bit miserable, praying for it to break by the time we got to St Pete.

Here she goes again. The eagle eyed amongst you might spot the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

With a stop off for petrol we arrive at 5pm and were indeed upgraded to a room with a view of the sea thanks to all the Dibbers that have mentioned me at the hotel again through the course of the summer season and me reminding them that I will be reviewing them again this year!

Our tradition, once checked-in is always to have a walk up the beach and dip our toes in the water but today we had a) arrived later than normal and b) were all starving! So we got changed and went to Bongos Beach Bar and Grill instead 😊

I know I post this same photo every time I do a trip report now but I can’t tell you just how relaxed I feel the second my @rse hits this chair and I sit at the head of table (like the Don) and look out over this view. Bongos, you never get old.

Everyone else was there too 😊

We had a couple of drinks and watched the world go by while we waited for food to arrive.

Lauren and Maddy went to play with their new micro-Frisbee on the beach and were soon joined by a bloke who asked if he could play too apparently! Don’t worry, we kept an eye on them and he seemed harmless enough.

Dinner arrived and I had my favourite Hangover Burger (with an egg), Lynn had the California Burger (with avocado), the kids both had Fish Tacos.

As you can see form the next few photos, the weather was now nothing short of perfect. It was absolute bliss. Food done, we switched to cocktails and my favourite here is the Mudslide which is a perfect replacement for a dessert.

As the sun set, conversation turned back to Lauren and her Munchausen’s Syndrome, which led to the ‘proxy’ version of it and how twisted that can become. At which point Lynn shouted “Jesus this is depressing enough now! ”

She was right of course, we were on our holidays, so I lightened the mood by telling the girls the story of Harold Shipman! 😊

More beers followed, the girls messed about on the beach and we called it a day shortly after 9pm.

We caught the end of Beat Shazam (Remember? It’s like The Hit list on BBC1?) but this time they contestants won $276,000! That’s a bit different to the UK version!

We had a vodka and coke in the room as a night cap and then turned in.

One last photo as a warning to you all of going fishing in a freshwater river in Florida without bug repellent!

You’re welcome.

Tomorrow – Busch Gardens and John’s Pass

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

Edited at 04:14 PM.
wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
FLAFantastic
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Just wonderful!

Love Bongos Me!

AnnMarie
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

No sarcasm of me I love Lynn's photos
I also love Maddy's Oakleys (am wondering if I can get away with wearing them lol at age 49
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Bongos = favourite beach bar in the world.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by FLAFantastic View Post
Just wonderful!

Love Bongos Me!

AnnMarie
Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Bongos = favourite beach bar in the world.
It’s pretty special

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

I would just like to point out that Lyn is being a wonderful wife in giving you a tiny insignificant fault to gloat over. I find husband's don't cope well with perfection!
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day but what a shame about the bites

Joan
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
littletink
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks to you - we love Bongos too! And their fish tacos are just wonderful. And, of course, their cocktails!

Lindfields 2001 & 2005, West Stonebridge Christmas 2008
Disney Yacht Club, Marco Island, Duck Key & HRH August 2011, Lindfields & Rotonda Aug 2012 - HRH & Rotonda 2013 - HRH & Rotonda 2014 - NYC 2015 - AMI 2016 - Sunset Lakes/Rotonda 2017 - NYC/Bongo's!/AMI 2018 - Boardwalk-Rotonda-HRH 2019 - Rotonda 2023
littletink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
foiled
Trying for More Ears

Love a Wizzo trip report 👍

Pretty sure Lynn takes fabulous pictures, yet you cherry pick the couple of bad shots for the reports!
foiled is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by littletink View Post
Thanks to you - we love Bongos too! And their fish tacos are just wonderful. And, of course, their cocktails!
Their burgers all the way for me (and the view, it's all about the view)

Originally Posted by foiled View Post
Pretty sure Lynn takes fabulous pictures, yet you cherry pick the couple of bad shots for the reports!
Honestly, I put all of them in, there aren't any good ones