Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Nov 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
It's a 2hr drive down the 192 or 20 mins quicker down the toll road...

However, while this is a good option, the landing fees could be less which mean cheaper prices...
I have done this route many times, it certainly doesn't take 2 hours. I normally get from the Disney area to Melbourne Beach in about 1hr 20. I would certainly consider this airport, there's not a lot of difference between Melbourne or Tampa to Disney and it is a lot closer than Miami which many people use to try and save some money.

Dave

Edited at 11:58 AM.
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

With the works continuing on the I4, realistically you could spend as much time travelling from Sanford during peak time as you would from Melbourne.

Melbourne are starting improvement works on their terminal etc for TUI coming in for 2022 so could realistically be a better option over Sanford in terms of passenger offerings, then there's also the potential that TUI may also have the option to put more flights at times that suit them as they're Melbournes first long haul route.

As i said before, any one saying that they wouldn't fly to Melbourne over Sanford is kidding themselves on, people are willing to drive to/from Miami or Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for direct flights...yet Melbourne is closer people are ruling it out

Price may or may not come down but direct will always win for many, TUI's flights will still be as popular going into Melbourne, they'll pickup a ton of business for cruises if they package them right with good flight connection times.
Old 5 Nov 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Can't see this working out, just like BA and Norwegian couldn't make FLL work, which is literally 30 mins from Miami. Coupled with the fact TUI have joke prices (unless you can get a last minute deal being a charter line). People who fly TUI generally pay the premium to fly into Orlando/book package holidays/do not drive therefore I cannot see this working at all.

Just to add I am happy to fly into anywhere within Florida but I cannot see TUI providing decent enough prices.

Edited at 12:00 PM.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TJ68
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I fly tui flight only not premium and i drive over there moving from sanford to melbourne is more miles for us but its also quicker as straight over 192 for us
TJ68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
As i said before, any one saying that they wouldn't fly to Melbourne over Sanford is kidding themselves on, people are willing to drive to/from Miami or Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for direct flights...yet Melbourne is closer people are ruling it out
You're talking about two different groups of people. The people who sometimes consider driving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale would probably be quite happy to fly to Melbourne instead if the price was right. But they are a completely different set of people to those who would never fly to those other airports and who would be put off by the switch from Sanford to Melbourne.

Personally, I won't say I wouldn't consider it but the fact that it's further away would make me less inclined to choose TUI from 2022. It would depend on the price and what transport options there were from Melbourne (we don't drive over in Florida).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
If I was going to book the same holiday that I did this year (just Disney no car) then this would completely rule out TUI for me. Flying into Sanford was too far and that's what ruled them out for this year's trip.

I'd only book with them if the price was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than flying into MCO.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
allymc316
Getting Excited

i dont think this will be about making their package deals any cheaper. They will be looking at increasing their bottom line without increasing prices. More than likely they will increase prices as well to further inflate profits. Its a business decision not for the benefit of the customer no matter how their marketing department spin it. People will still book. Especially now TC has gone, i doubt they will have trouble filling the seats even for those that are put off.
allymc316 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Can the flights from Manchester get any worse! it is so bad at the minute. My dates are due out in the next few weeks and i'm dreading it. I always said it was VA as they fly into MCO and I want direct but omg now it really is only VA.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You're talking about two different groups of people. The people who sometimes consider driving from Miami or Fort Lauderdale would probably be quite happy to fly to Melbourne instead if the price was right. But they are a completely different set of people to those who would never fly to those other airports and who would be put off by the switch from Sanford to Melbourne.

Personally, I won't say I wouldn't consider it but the fact that it's further away would make me less inclined to choose TUI from 2022. It would depend on the price and what transport options there were from Melbourne (we don't drive over in Florida).
TUI want to talk about all of those groups of people, not just concentrating on the one group who want to see the mouse and that's why they've decided on this move, now they have their core group plus opening the door to those who want a cruise or a trip down the coast to Miami or further which most likely would have been limited in the past.

TUI will continue offering their transfer coach and other options will develop between now and 2022 when this kicks off but the difference in travel is less than 30 mins over Sanford and that's before taking into account possible heavy traffic on the I4, you could even find that 30 min could be covered by quicker/more efficient customs following the terminal changes that the airport are working on.

Time will tell
Old 5 Nov 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
With all the talk of change of airport I wonder if Marella cruises will be changing to USA ports during the summer months after 2021?.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List