Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
We also moved into a house full of furniture and junk. Our solicitor did try to get the sellers to pay for a skip, but since they were selling to save being repossessed, they had no money and wouldn't pay. We'd have had to sue them.
This is what I'm thinking, they may just totally ignore the request or refuse it. Apart from the sofa we have no other issues so it could have been way worse, walking into a house full of junk. Did you sue them in the end of just leave it?
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Lou1982
VIP Dibber

Lou1982's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 22
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
There is definitely reasons for us not wanting to pursue them through the small claims court, mainly that we are moving and having a baby and are just too busy for that. I barely have time to pack!

We are not living in the house yet and are a 40 minute drive away so unless they have been very naughty and kept a key they won't be able to gain access to remove it until the weekend. So at the moment I'll wait for a reply from BHF rather than charging in all guns blazing.
I think this is very sensible. People leaving things behind or, more commonly taking things they shouldn’t happens all the time. Of course they shouldn’t have left it and you’d be well within your rights to be a bit miffed. Fact is though it’s very common and if the seller isn’t inclined to do anything about it on being contacted then most people wouldn’t want the hassle of pursuing it any further.

Congrats on the new house and baby!
Lou1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
This is what I'm thinking, they may just totally ignore the request or refuse it. Apart from the sofa we have no other issues so it could have been way worse, walking into a house full of junk. Did you sue them in the end of just leave it?
No, we took their solicitor's word for it, then had to endure their debt collectors turning up at the door for the next 5 or so years. Police on one occasion, for non-payment of fine. (DS was fascinated and ran off to get his reading book which had a policeman in it) Walk in cupboard full of newspapers, 2 non-working fridge freezers, basically the garage was full of junk and we slowly cleared it out ourselves.

I hope the BHF take to sofa, but yes they can be fussy. DS gave them a corner sofa last month and they took it no prob and he got a letter when they sold it because of gift-aid.
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post

There is definitely reasons for us not wanting to pursue them through the small claims court, mainly that we are moving and having a baby and are just too busy for that. I barely have time to pack!

We are not living in the house yet and are a 40 minute drive away so unless they have been very naughty and kept a key they won't be able to gain access to remove it until the weekend. So at the moment I'll wait for a reply from BHF rather than charging in all guns blazing.
Contacting your solicitor to tell them that things have been left behind and you want them removed ASAP is not “charging in all guns blazing”, it is making a phone call and asserting yourself.

Still if you are happy to spend your time and probably money in moving the sofa yourself then that is fine too. Anyway I will duck out now, I think I maybe misunderstood the reason for the thread if you were always happy with having a sofa to get rid of.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

When my auntie moved in to her new house the previous owners family had left an old heavy sideboard a washing machine in the garage and a table and chairs in the conservatory. They were not supposed to have left anything. They then kept contacting my aunt to try and sell her this stuff when she didnt want it. When my dad found out he was really annoyed so he rang them up and politely told them to come round the next day and pick it all up. Fortunately they did - howerver they had also left a couple of ornaments and whilst picking them up they picked up a pink glass cake stand. Oh no my auntie said - thats mine. She went on all day about them trying to take her cake stand - a few days later while unpacking she found her pink glass cake stand ... oh how we laughed
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Contacting your solicitor to tell them that things have been left behind and you want them removed ASAP is not “charging in all guns blazing”, it is making a phone call and asserting yourself.

Still if you are happy to spend your time and probably money in moving the sofa yourself then that is fine too. Anyway I will duck out now, I think I maybe misunderstood the reason for the thread if you were always happy with having a sofa to get rid of.
Of course I wasn't always happy to have a sofa to get rid of, I wish the bloomin thing wasn't there. But I'm not at the point where I'm going to call threatening legal action if they don't remove it right now. I'm not moving the sofa anywhere myself, I'm hoping BHF will come and get it. However I did ask for advice so thank you for yours.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
BHF are incredibly fussy about what furniture they will take. I was giving them a M&S sofa and footstool that was only a couple of years old and in pristine condition as it was in a room we hardly used. We were changing the room so it wouldn’t fit anymore and I thought I was doing a good deed by donating it so they could make some money. However when they came to collect it they were really sniffy about whether they were going to take it or not as apparently they only want things that will sell quick (I don’t suppose a sofa and footstool would sell as fast as a 3 piece suite). They said if they got it to the shop and the manager decided no then it would go in the skip. I was horrified that they would do that so vowed never to donate to them again.
Yeah that’s true actually.
One of the items was my dd’s 4 poster bed and they wouldn’t take it because of the voiles as they said they couldn’t be sure they were flame ≈≈≈≈≈≈ant.. we said “just take them off then “ but nope , scrapped a whole bed ..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Unless you have discussed it all with the sellers then pretty much anything else counts as rubbish and should have been removed.

We have just moved and we did agree to the elderly couple leaving stuff as long as they arranged and paid to get a skip or house clearance firm. They actually left a half full skip which was very useful! We had agreed to this as we knew all along that they wanted 4 weeks between exchange and completion, however our buyer was a bully and threatened to pull out if he had to wait We called our solicitor not because of the house but because of what he had left in the garage with labels on saying people were collecting it or they would collect in the future That was not acceptable! Most of the stuff has been collected apart from the tools in the workshop which we will either ditch or utilise ourselves. At present it isn't bothering us so if they call to collect them fine but once we start on the workshop, they/re gone!

On the other side of the coin, as our buyer was a right **** we left nothing he could interpret as rubbish, ie spare paint to touch up, sand for the block paving, fence paint - we ditched the lot! And you've guessed it he complained about that too Although strangely he hasn't complained about the wall mounted TV we left in the kitchen, only that we took the bracket for the one in the lounge - just no pleasing some people!
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Unless you have discussed it all with the sellers then pretty much anything else counts as rubbish and should have been removed.

We have just moved and we did agree to the elderly couple leaving stuff as long as they arranged and paid to get a skip or house clearance firm. They actually left a half full skip which was very useful! We had agreed to this as we knew all along that they wanted 4 weeks between exchange and completion, however our buyer was a bully and threatened to pull out if he had to wait We called our solicitor not because of the house but because of what he had left in the garage with labels on saying people were collecting it or they would collect in the future That was not acceptable! Most of the stuff has been collected apart from the tools in the workshop which we will either ditch or utilise ourselves. At present it isn't bothering us so if they call to collect them fine but once we start on the workshop, they/re gone!

On the other side of the coin, as our buyer was a right **** we left nothing he could interpret as rubbish, ie spare paint to touch up, sand for the block paving, fence paint - we ditched the lot! And you've guessed it he complained about that too Although strangely he hasn't complained about the wall mounted TV we left in the kitchen, only that we took the bracket for the one in the lounge - just no pleasing some people!
Oh I'd be furious if they had left stuff saying people will pick it up later, that is unbelievable. From my googling it seems like it's actually a grey area as to if you are even allowed to ditch it or if you have to hold it.

We've not even looked in the shed or the attic as we've been so busy. Could be full of junk... at least another sofa won't fit in there so it should be small junk we can take to the tip.
Old 11 Nov 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

When my DD bought her first house the sellers (daughters of the man who had passed away) left his cat! They completely refused to do anything about it! They had been feeding it whilst selling the house but DD has a dog and couldn't have the cat

Luckily DD had a friend who took the cat but I still can't believe it was left for her to sort and I must admit I did give the sellers a piece of my mind as I did know who they were.