Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Nov 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

Megabus in the US

So I am beginning to plan our honeymoon for next September of which we are exploring a few states in the US using various means of transportation, one of which we are very much interested in is Megabus as it is cheap, easy and allows us to see proper America instead of just flying everywhere. Just wondered though, is there any negatives to this service? We are hiring a car for some of our trip later on but wanted to have a variety of transport hence why we are looking at this.

The legs we were potentially looking at were:

New York to Washington DC
And
Las Vegas to Anaheim
Sept/Oct 19 Avanti Palms and Art of Animation
barber2384 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Blast Furnace
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Can’t comment on the LV to Anaheim section but for NYC to DC consider Amtrak. We did this last month one way for $108 for the two of us. Used the red cap service to get us seated and they were a great help. There’s regular departures through the day but peak hours get very busy.
Blast Furnace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We also used Amtrak to go from New York to Washington. It was a lovely journey and we used the Red Cap service after reading about it on a trip report.

I can't remember which city we were in but I think it might have been in New York and we saw a queue of people waiting for the Megabus. Without wanting to sound like a snob, I'd definitely choose Amtrak, even at a much higher cost.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I once planned I could zig zag all across America using mega bus for just $34 each but DH wouldn't do it, he said he would rather drive himself! We did do New York to Kissimmee by Amtrak it took 23hrs 55mins great adventure, we had our own cabin with bunk beds with loo.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t used Megabus but by the looks of the throngs waiting to board buses in NYC, you’ll certainly get to see ‘proper America’ - but it wouldn’t be for me!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

My dd was on a J1 this summer and spent time travelling after camp/working. I booked Megabus for them from NY to DC and a return a few days later. It was $20 - $25 each way, took about 4 hours and they were happy with it. You can also reserve your seats for $2 ea.

They did think about going to Boston from DC (instead of back to NY) but it would've been 8 hours and that I think that is too long to be sat on a bus.

If it's cheap and cheerful you want it's very do-able but if you want more comfort look at the alternatives.
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Also, a few years ago I did consider Anaheim to LV as it was quite reasonable but we ended up finding very cheap flights with Jetblue (when luggage was free with them) so decided to go that route.
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

It does seem very cheap and cheerful to go via megabus which im fi e with, im just checking that im not making a mistake and missing something obvious about the service. Is the amtrak at $108 similar to the trains we get in the UK or are they something extra special worth experiencing?
Sept/Oct 19 Avanti Palms and Art of Animation
barber2384 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

We travelled from Washington to New York on Megabus last year, it was comfortable, on time and overall great value for money. Wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.
Old 13 Nov 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

We did Washington - NYC then NYC- Boston on mega bus 10 years ago. We had no problems - just make sure you scope out where your bus stop is first.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List