Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Nov 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogmad
Earning More Ears

Planning for Oct 2020

Hi,

We are hoping to visit Orlando in October next year. Staying for two weeks from the 16th and then going on a Disney cruise on the 30th October for 3 nights.

There will be 3 of us (myself, husband and 9yr old son).

So the questions are...

Are we best doing this as a DIY?
Hotel or Villa?
We have lots of IHG points which we could use but by the time you have added resort tax and parking I’m not sure it’s worth using them.
Best place to book a villa through(most DIBB ones appear to be booked now)
When would you book the flights? We live closer to Manchester but could travel down to London. Would like to travel PE as a minimum but price may restrict that.

I think that’s about it for now but I’m sure I will think of more.

Thanks

Deb.
Dogmad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

We are looking for similar dates. (17-31) Only BA out at moment and prices seem high as is half term. I will be trying Black Friday and then Boxing Day. We are nearer to Manchester but as there is not a lot of choice from there will also look at London. We have always found that DIY normally works out better than a package. How many IHG points do you have? We used ours in Miami last year but your looking at around 40000 per night.(plus any resort fees and car parking fees) Orlando prices may be cheaper though. It helps if you can be flexible on airport too. We are willing to fly into Orlando, Tampa and Miami.
Katnic1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’d always price up DIY and packages. It’s not always the case DIY is cheaper plus obviously packages give you protection. However I probably wouldn’t book a villa as a package as I’d prefer to choose the villa. Whether you go for a hotel or villa accommodation is entirely up to you. I would start making a list of what you want from your accommodation and see what fits best
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
GBScott
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I have heard to avoid Black Friday as it’s a set up and does not save any money but I don’t know.
GBScott is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

We are going in November, DIY as we find it cheaper and better personally.
I have already booked the villa (we used it before, wonderful) via HomeAway

flighrs not yet booked, virgin holidays only one showing, as when we go, no charters fly is a ridiculous price.

We are happy to go indirect, so will use ITA Matrix

matrix.itasoftware/#search:

And will look at various departure airports, including outside the UK
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 11:50 AM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
U2fan
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dogmad View Post
Hi,

We are hoping to visit Orlando in October next year. Staying for two weeks from the 16th and then going on a Disney cruise on the 30th October for 3 nights.

There will be 3 of us (myself, husband and 9yr old son).

So the questions are...

Are we best doing this as a DIY?
Hotel or Villa?
We have lots of IHG points which we could use but by the time you have added resort tax and parking I’m not sure it’s worth using them.
Best place to book a villa through(most DIBB ones appear to be booked now)
When would you book the flights? We live closer to Manchester but could travel down to London. Would like to travel PE as a minimum but price may restrict that.

I think that’s about it for now but I’m sure I will think of more.

Thanks

Deb.
We go over October half term, and do DIY every trip now. As well as often being cheaper, it’s so much more flexible than booking a package.

We prefer flights from Manchester but direct flights were really expensive this year so we ended up booking a BA fly drive from Gatwick to Tampa. It was a lot cheaper than flying to Orlando, and an easy drive of around 90 minutes. We like to stay onsite at Disney, so this year we booked our accommodation with Attraction Tickets Direct. (If you want to stay in a Disney hotel, you’re best to wait for April when the Disney Dining will be announced... though it was only on until early October this year.) We got a really good price for the Polynesian. We also used our Avios points for a two night stay at a hotel on Anna Maria Island as flights were a lot cheaper if we flew out a few earlier than we’d planned.

We did a Disney cruise last year, and booked that ourselves via the DCL website. They are amazing!

Edited at 12:34 PM.
U2fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogmad
Earning More Ears

Thanks for all your comments. There just seems so much to plan and not sure in which order to do it!
Dogmad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List