Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

I made the mistake of booking Florida for my DS GCSE results day. The school wouldn’t allow anyone else to pick his envelope up, and they wouldn’t email us his results either. Instead they were waiting on the doormat when we got home. As much as he loved being in Florida, he would have preferred to have been with his friends for both collecting the results and celebrating.
Old 19 Nov 19, 05:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pookie3101 View Post
First i’d check what the arrangements for post 16 education are in your area.
Where I live the child has to collect their results in person and then register at school or college they want to attend on the same day. There are some 6th forms where I live that will only allow students to register outside of results day in exceptional circumstances and this is clearly written in the prospectus.

If they are not around to collect in person they have to wait for them to be posted and they have to see what college or school places are left.
This☝️
It's going to be particular to your area.

My kids school allows someone else to pick them up with letter sent before end of term and I.d on the day and college registration is the following week.

Every school is different.
Every college is different.
Check with your school and colleges around you.
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We did it in 2017. DS was going to college and enrolment wasn’t until the next week so it was fine. His school wouldn’t allow collection by anyone else though and said they would post if we provided a stamped addressed envelope which they did and my sister kept going to check the post. Of course the school never actually posted them so DS had to pop in the day we got home.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but I was wanting to know has anyone took their 16yr old away meaning they missed collecting their GCSEs?

Did they feel they missed out?

Also can anyone remember how far in advance results date was confirmed?

We have family who would happily pick them us for us.

Thank you
DS got his this summer. It was a weird experience as he hated seeing the "brainy" ones coming out with all 9s and 8s etc. Yes they worked hard but my DS had struggled doing the subjects he hated and didn't do as well in them. He got the grades he needed for Alevels but wanted to change an option and he could only do that in person on the day.

GCSE results are always the last or 2nd to last Thursday of Aug, next year is 20th Aug.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Thank you all, I think if I asked her she'd say she didn't mind thinking it's the answer I'd want but really would want to collect them herself.
Plans now moved round so cruise for May 2021 & Florida villa holiday july 2022
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We will be away for results in 2021, I am 100% positive my son would rather be on holiday but every child is different.

I never thought about the fact they need to immediately register for 6th form, he will be staying on at school so hopefully will just carry through.
Old 19 Nov 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
We will be away for results in 2021, I am 100% positive my son would rather be on holiday but every child is different.

I never thought about the fact they need to immediately register for 6th form, he will be staying on at school so hopefully will just carry through.
Our school wanted confirmation on the day that DS was staying on and commit to which options.

I would ask your school and see if there was anything you would need to do on the day, as you have booked a holiday and won't be in the country. They may email the results to you and ask you to confirm that way. Our school offered this but was a charge of £10 per student to do this (they had to pay the lady in the office to come in during the hols!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Our school wanted confirmation on the day that DS was staying on and commit to which options.

I would ask your school and see if there was anything you would need to do on the day, as you have booked a holiday and won't be in the country. They may email the results to you and ask you to confirm that way. Our school offered this but was a charge of £10 per student to do this (they had to pay the lady in the office to come in during the hols!)
Just rang I can authorise someone to collect, they need to take ID. I have emailed the head of year about the registering for 6th form though as the office did not know about that one. Could be a game changer for us if he has to be here.
Old 20 Nov 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

My son went to the local grammar sixth form. He just rang them with his results. They had someone manning the phones to speak to people that couldn't attend in person. There were a few people that were on holiday. I suppose it is down to the child really and if they would rather be on holiday then contact school/College/sixth form to see what can be arranged.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
Mobile

I'm surprised reading through here to realise the degree of difference between different organisations regarding communication of results and course registration. It's clearly something that needs careful advance checking. DD accepted an unconditional uni offer so didn't pragmatically need to be there for a level results day. She was also content not to be part of any communal activity around them. However her stress levels before hand made her holiday less relaxed than it could have been. On the plus side the evening before results we checked into a studio at AKL for one night as part of our trip, the cast member asked if we were celebrating anything and I said no explaining DD was in fact a bit stressed. When we got to our room we had been upgraded to a one bedroom villa. She was at least stressed in spacious surroundings 🙂
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List