Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Tips for Yosemite

Hi, just after some advice and tips for visiting Yosemite next summer, we will be staying for 3 nights so will have 2 full days and maybe an extra half day on either end of stay, I read a recent trip report where they stayed in curry village and I like that idea of being right in the park. There is five of us, our kids will be 11, 15 and 21, so what are your tips and what shouldn’t we miss?
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Slightly more expensive option but we loved Yosemite lodge at the falls.

I would highly recommend staying in the valley and using the shuttle bus to get around.

Tips are get to tunnel view and the half dome view early as crowds build during the day. We got there mid afternoon and they wanted us to park in lower car park with over an hour wait for shuttle up to the top.

Mist trail was a great walk and I think suitable for ages of your kids...

Also Mirror lake and going down to the river.

Our trip report is here and have a look at the Yosemite days!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=975056

Edited at 11:39 AM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post

I would highly recommend staying in the valley and using the shuttle bus to get around.

Tips are get to tunnel view and the half dome view early as crowds build during the day. We got there mid afternoon and they wanted us to park in lower car park with over an hour wait for shuttle up to the top.

Most trail was a great walk and I think suitable for ages of your kids...

That’s great info thanks, I will take a look at your trip report😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again , first thing to do on arrival we believe is do the valley floor tour 2 hours. This will give you an overview, gets your bearings and a little history in an easy way. Take an early morning walk up vernal falls and down via the John muir trail, this will take a morning. You will see lots of signs about water, make sure you either buy water or take at least a litre bottLe size To drink. At the high altitude you dehydrate very quickly. Drive or bus up to glacier point 10.000 ft and from there you can see vernal falls which hopefully you walk up. Spend sone time walking along the river and over to El Capitan. On another afternoon or morning drive to tioga pass , this is the main route in from the north east which regularly doesn’t open to June as they can have 30/40 ft snow drifts. There are lots of other walks which others may advise on.
Before you go have a look at the film the dawn wall and definitely Free Solo , climbing El Capitan with no ropes, !
Oh and at night in the darkness the sky 😀
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again , first thing to do on arrival we believe is do the valley floor tour 2 hours. This will give you an overview, gets your bearings and a little history in an easy way. Take an early morning walk up vernal falls and down via the John muir trail, this will take a morning. You will see lots of signs about water, make sure you either buy water or take at least a litre bottLe size To drink. At the high altitude you dehydrate very quickly. Drive or bus up to glacier point 10.000 ft and from there you can see vernal falls which hopefully you walk up. Spend sone time walking along the river and over to El Capitan. On another afternoon or morning drive to tioga pass , this is the main route in from the north east which regularly doesn’t open to June as they can have 30/40 ft snow drifts. There are lots of other walks which others may advise on.
Before you go have a look at the film the dawn wall and definitely Free Solo , climbing El Capitan with no ropes, !
This... forgot to mention... The night sky is truly amazing.

We had a corner room on the 2nd floor and I would just sit on the balcony in complete awe. A blanket of stars.

Something I will never forget! (Except when providing tips / advice about Yosemite it seems haha)

Edited at 03:48 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

This... forgot to mention... The night sky is truly amazing.

We had a corner room on the 2nd floor and I would just sit on the balcony in complete awe. A blanket is stars.

Something I will never forget! (Except when providing tips / advice about Yosemite it seems haha)
I'd totally agree with this!
We had a similar experience at the Grand Canyon.
Honestly, I felt like I'd never 'seen' the stars before!
The sky actually looked milky and greyish because of all the layers and layers and layers of stars!
I too will never forget that.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Thanks again for replying bet your sick of my questions😂, that’s all great information I’ll make a note of everything, is the at night in the darkness sky the stargazing one?, I read it in a trip report and thought it sounded lovely😀
Old 26 May 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

We stayed in Curry Village. The tent cabins are cheapest, then the wood cabins (think they have 2 double beds), then they have a few motel rooms but they tend to sell out quick as I have never seen availability on the website. We went to book on Feb 7 for August and Yosemite Lodge was totally booked, the cabins in Curry Village were booked and the only thing left was the tent cabins so my advice is to be online right when your dates are bookable to have the best choice of accommodation

We loved Curry Village though and the other people were very well behaved, despite the tents being closer to one another everyone observed the quiet hours and it was very peaceful.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
We stayed in Curry Village. The tent cabins are cheapest, then the wood cabins (think they have 2 double beds), then they have a few motel rooms but they tend to sell out quick as I have never seen availability on the website. We went to book on Feb 7 for August and Yosemite Lodge was totally booked, the cabins in Curry Village were booked and the only thing left was the tent cabins so my advice is to be online right when your dates are bookable to have the best choice of accommodation

We loved Curry Village though and the other people were very well behaved, despite the tents being closer to one another everyone observed the quiet hours and it was very peaceful.
Hi thanks very much for reply I will be ready to book as soon as possible, think we’ll be happy with the tent cabins they look like fun😀
Old 26 May 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Mist trail was a great walk and I think suitable for ages of your kids...

Just started on your trip report so that’s my afternoon sorted😀