Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Big hugs to you xxx
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Hi OP, can I make another (gentle) suggestion before you have a band fitted, please find a support group, and seek out the best bariatric surgeon you can for an initial consultation. There was another really good thread about it all here - https://dibb.in/13357871

My mum had a Gastric Bypass around 6 years ago, and has lost over 10 stone (she was more than 20 when she had the op) it has completely changed her life, she can walk properly now, has tons of energy and is so much happier its a joy to see.

Two things - She had to pay privately and travel to Leeds for the op and consultations. (She did a lot of research on surgeon) We are in Ipswich so was a long way but worth it.

She originally asked for a sleeve or band and got advised against it, this might differ from patient to patient but the surgeon felt a bypass was the best option for my mum. She had to go on a strict 8 week diet first. She has to have vitamin injections regularly now, and can only eat very small amounts, but of pretty much anything she likes, and she sometimes has to be near the loo at short notice! (sorry if tmi, but is a fact) There are certain foods she is sensitive too now and has to avoid.

She has no regrets. After years of yo yo dieting she was told this was the only proper answer. She still ‘hoards’ food and now tries to feed us constantly instead of herself...

Good luck, do whats best for you, and take care x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 08:50 AM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

This thread and particularly the post late last night by the OP is one of the saddest things I've read on the Dibb.

Being so alone that you can't even confide in your husband over a life changing event. I can't comprehend how difficult that must be.

Best wishes to you and hope you get the support you need.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

I would not have injections or a gastric band, slimming world every time. One of my work colleagues has a gastric band, it didn't stop her eating the wrong things, she couldn't enjoy a meal without feeling sick and has a drawer full of sweets and cakes at work. Cause she was not eating the right food her hair started to fall out. Right now she hasn't had any 'fill' for a couple of years. Its a waste of money and doesn't work from what I have seen. No matter what form of weight loss you go down your mind has to be in the right place to do it. I would much rather go to slimming world have interaction with great people and eat great food that doesn't make me feel sick. I have no experience of the injections but and this is just my opinion don't put chemicals in your body your don't have to.
Old 16 Sep 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

I’m so angry I could cry. I went all the way to Lloyd’s pharmacy for my appointment to find they weren’t expecting me and no one there had had the training, so I couldn’t have my consultation and purchase the injections. So I have to wait for them to be trained up first 😡
All I want to be in slim and normal... whatever that is. Why does it have to be so complicated? 😭

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
I’m so angry I could cry. I went all the way to Lloyd’s pharmacy for my appointment to find they weren’t expecting me and no one there had had the training, so I couldn’t have my consultation and purchase the injections. So I have to wait for them to be trained up first 😡
All I want to be in slim and normal... whatever that is. Why does it have to be so complicated? 😭
I'm sorry that I suggested Lloyds I would have been really annoyed in those circumstances and would be contacting head office to make a formal complaint. They need to change their booking system

Please don't think you need to be slim to be normal. People come in every shape and size, we all have bits we like and bits we don't regardless of what the number is when we stand on the scales. Being healthy and happy is my goal.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just to add to all that. I did do counselling for quite some time, where I was 10 stone, trying to get off VLCDs and losing a very hard battle. I recognised that this had been going on since my late teens, but gorging out on chocolate went back to my school days. The menopause has really hit me hard. Prior to that, I was going to the gym 5 times a week, but still couldn’t get the diet part right. Now I just don’t have the energy to go for a walk. Whether I’m a size 10 or a size 16, the names I call myself, the abuse that I hurl at myself, the viciousness of it all... it’s soul destroying. I hate myself more than words can describe.
To be put forward for a band, I know I’ll have to go through the wringer again of counselling, etc which I don’t want but there you go. My counsellor did say that my thoughts were severe and it didn’t matter that anything she said was right, I just failed in the end. As I got older, I just hate myself more and more. Even my poor husband can’t win. Pays me compliments and I think he’s lying. Goes to say that I haven’t even had this discussion with him at all, he has no idea that tomorrow I’ll be starting the injections while I hope for a band on the NHS, or save to go privately. All I know is that I cannot live like this and unless you’re in my head, no one will ever understand my personal battle with food.
I’m so sorry you feel so badly about yourself. Please tel your husband how you are feeling, don’t bottle it up. It appears you have always had an unhealthy relationship with food. Please try counselling again. It might tape a while to find the right one but I’m sure there is someone to help you rather than putting yourself through surgery.
Whatever you do decide please be kind to yourself.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I am not slim or normal! I think we are all shapes sizes, but a lovely happy smile goes a long way to making us beautiful so please dont be so hard on yourself.

I lost weight and got fit a few years back with gastric band hypnosis, it was incredible the effect it had on my subconscious and really did work. I got a CD of the sessions to listen to at home too, so that I could ‘top up’ between treatments. Just worth a try? Less invasive than injections maybe? Sorry if all these suggestions are not helpful, I hope at least that you feel you can come here for support if nothing helps x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bentley
Trainee Dibber

You can purchase Saxenda online with an online prescription, the self injection is very simple and when you purchase the pens you receive full instructions.

There are several FB group for UK Saxenda users, if you want extra support or to just talk to people in the same position.
Half Term -Feb'19 Half a Half term - Oct 2018 August 2018 - May 2018 - Easter 2018 - New Year 2017/18 - NY / Washington - Aug ‘17 40th B'day trip Melia White Nassau & Tuscana Resort - May ‘17 Tuscana Resort - Christmas & New Year ‘16/’17 Davenport Villa - Aug ‘16 MLR - Aug ‘15 Davenport - May ‘14 MLR - ‘78 - ‘01 Daytona
Bentley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

Thank you. I went to my doctor yesterday and as sympathetic as he was, he could not help me. Despite having a BMI of 36, he told me I would not be eligible for a gastric band on the nhs. He couldn’t even prescribe me Orlistat or Saxenda as there is a system to go through, bloods, counselling again, etc. So frustrated, I just burst into tears. I felt and still do feel like I’m still alone. So I’ve joined the gym again, ordered Saxenda online and have to show what I’ve tried and if it has worked or not. Hubby now knows there’s something up but I just can’t tell him, he just wouldn’t understand. Such a stupid cow, I am!

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List