Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Mar 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

An oldie but a goodie! - New York - Sep 2014 - Day 7

We wake with dread that today is our last day in this wonderful city.

I pop down and pick up a couple of bagels for us to eat in the room and then have a try at packing.

With the room all cleared we check out of the hotel and leave our bags with the bell hop team. It always gets me in the US with their tipping culture, this chap literally took our bags popped 2 tags on it and shoved it in a room behind him then tapped at a tipping sign for a dollar a bag.

Bearing in mind this is one of the biggest hotels in New York with hundreds of people leaving daily i’m sure he is making a pretty penny out of us tourists for doing little work. We were not about to let $2 ruin our last day so gave it to him and continued on with our day.

This mornings activity was to to to the Top of the Rock! I much prefer this to Empire State building, cheaper and less crowds, and mainly you get a view of the Empire State Building!

At the top the views are stunning, one side you get to see how huge Central Park is and the other you can see Manhattan laid out in front of you with the Empire State Building standing proud in the middle. Having done both view points i would recommend doing the Top of the rock in the day and then the Empire State building at night, i think you get the best views that way.

Back on ground level we grab some lunch from a Pizza Shop and head back towards times square for our final experience of the holiday.

This was a visit on the RIDE.

The Ride is a double decker bus, but with one side all windows and you are sitting to the side rather than the front, with 2 rows one back and above the first so you all get amazing views. The ride is a bit of a sightseeing bus, and a bit of a comedy show.

They take you round for an hour or so and along the way you interact with different locals doing various things, from dancing in the street to a reveler enjoying the ball drop for new years eve. It was a great laugh and something different and unique to New York. The hosts were amazing and made the trip enjoyable for all.

All good things must come to an end so we head back to the ROW to collect our bags, the Bell Hop team ask for another tip for opening a door to allow us to get our bags back, I politely decline and walk on out.

We walk back down to Port Authority Bus Terminal and catch the E Line to Jamaica then the Air Train to Terminal 1.

The airport was nice and quiet and we are all checked in with Norwegian for our flight home, security was also minimal and we are in departures before we know it.

We grab some burgers for some food, not knowing what will be on the plane and before we know it are boarding our flight back to Gatwick.

There was no issues with the flight it was all on time, comfortable and we were well looked after by the crew.

So that was it our wonderful holiday in New York!

I hope you have enjoyed my trip down memory lane! I am happy to report that we married the year after and have been together since!

AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thanks for taking the time to write this! Lovely read a new report. You had fabulous trip and congratulations on your wedding too!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write this! Lovely read a new report. You had fabulous trip and congratulations on your wedding too!
Thank you Anji, I do love a good trip report!
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you for a great trip report - what a wonderful surprise you planned for your proposal! We love New York and it was lovely to see you visit the places we enjoyed too. Congratulations on the wedding
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Thank you for writing this report I have enjoyed reading it