Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi Amy
Forgive me if these are silly questions or have already been asked before, but we are looking at the Go San Diego cards and trying to work out whether it's worth visiting both the zoo as well as the safari park. What do people normally do - is it one or the other or both? How long does each take to visit comfortably?
And on a totally different subject, how is Humphreys doing at the moment? We have a grand marina suite booked there for 7 nights but I keep getting tempted by the Bahia resort. Smaller room but the resort itself looks gorgeous!
Thanks
Nigel
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Amy
Forgive me if these are silly questions or have already been asked before, but we are looking at the Go San Diego cards and trying to work out whether it's worth visiting both the zoo as well as the safari park. What do people normally do - is it one or the other or both? How long does each take to visit comfortably?
And on a totally different subject, how is Humphreys doing at the moment? We have a grand marina suite booked there for 7 nights but I keep getting tempted by the Bahia resort. Smaller room but the resort itself looks gorgeous!
Thanks
Nigel
Hi Nigel There is no such thing as silly questions, as far as I'm concerned- so no worries there.

Most people I know tend to just do the Zoo and miss out on the Safari Park- not that I am endorsing that myself as I enjoy both places. I think most just stick with the zoo because it has more of a reputation, plus the Safari Park is a bit out of the way from the main tourist areas of San Diego. It takes about 35-40 minutes to drive to the Safari Park from downtown San Diego, and it's out in the back country where it gets a lot warmer than it does downtown. The zoo is large and can easily take a full day if you were going to see everything. The Safari Park is bigger actually, acreage-wise, but only part of it has been developed for the exhibits...much of it is open country. So, you can do the highlights of the Safari Park in less than a full day. If you had enough days in San Diego to cover both, plus anything else you want to do, then I would recommend doing both zoos. They are just different enough from each other in layout and experience to warrant a visit each. If you aren't big zoo people though, or have limited time in San Diego, then I would recommend doing the Zoo and missing the Safari Park.

The grounds of the Bahia are very nice, the only issue I have noticed with the Bahia is that the buildings and rooms are in need of some updating. They have a dated feel and look to them...like something out of the 70's. They basically haven't changed since I was a kid lol. But everything is clean and the resort grounds are pretty...so if you don't mind a bit of a dated look, then I'd see no problem staying there. They also have a paddleboat on the bay that hotel guests get free tickets to ride, so that's a nice little bonus. Humphrey's is an older property too, but have done some remodeling in recent years. The grounds are pretty there too, but it's not as big a property as the Bahia. To be honest, my favorite property in Mission Bay is the Catamaran hotel, but it may be a little more expensive than the Bahia.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks Amy. I think you've helped make our minds up to go with just the zoo. So glad I asked about the Bahia too. It really does look nice but I don't really want to go back to the 70's! Will look at the Catamaran instead and possibly the island palms if we stay on shelter island.
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Thanks Amy. I think you've helped make our minds up to go with just the zoo. So glad I asked about the Bahia too. It really does look nice but I don't really want to go back to the 70's! Will look at the Catamaran instead and possibly the island palms if we stay on shelter island.
You're welcome! The Island Palms is also a great choice. I just stayed there recently to attend a birthday celebration and had a great time at the hotel...of course, that could have been all the booze...but I seem to remember the hotel itself being very nice too.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Edited at 10:48 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
You're welcome! The Island Palms is also a great choice. I just stayed there recently to attend a birthday celebration and had a great time at the hotel...of course, that could have been all the booze...but I seem to remember the hotel itself being very nice too.
Yes it's another option that does look great. We got such a good deal at Humphreys and the suite we have looks really nice and so big I'm reluctant to give that up... i'm just dubious about it being an older type property...
Old 23 Apr 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

i'm just dubious about it being an older type property...
I hear ya there. I am also dubious about older properties, too. I did hear that there was a remodel at Humphreys about two years ago, but not sure how big of a remodel it was. I know the larger room is a plus for you, but there are also some larger suite rooms at the Island Palms, if you wish to inquire with them about those. While not in as scenic a location, there is a Homewood Suites Liberty Station hotel only five minutes away from Shelter Island and you can get larger rooms there, plus free breakfasts. Check out one of my earlier posts from when I stayed at the Island Palms for the birthday party. I went over to the area where the Homewood Suites hotel is the next morning and got some pics: https://DIBB.in/13133641

Old 24 Apr 18, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
I hear ya there. I am also dubious about older properties, too. I did hear that there was a remodel at Humphreys about two years ago, but not sure how big of a remodel it was. I know the larger room is a plus for you, but there are also some larger suite rooms at the Island Palms, if you wish to inquire with them about those. While not in as scenic a location, there is a Homewood Suites Liberty Station hotel only five minutes away from Shelter Island and you can get larger rooms there, plus free breakfasts. Check out one of my earlier posts from when I stayed at the Island Palms for the birthday party. I went over to the area where the Homewood Suites hotel is the next morning and got some pics: https://DIBB.in/13133641
Hi Amy, Thanks. Will have a look at both of those and also make some enquiries at the Island Palms. Nigel
Old 18 Jun 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Just wanted to say a big thank you. We've been reading your thread and making notes for our upcoming trip. Very grateful to have your local perspective/input.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Just wanted to say a big thank you. We've been reading your thread and making notes for our upcoming trip. Very grateful to have your local perspective/input.

Thank you so much for that post, Pumba75. I'm grateful to get that kind of feedback, it does mean a lot to me. I hope you have a wonderful time in San Diego!

Old 23 Jul 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
flossy_h
Excited about Disney

Hi Amy,
I’ve booked the Kings Inn for 4 nights, is this an ok area to stay in? I have a daughter who is 4.5 years old. I did look near by beach at the resorts but they were out of price range for us.
The zoo and Legoland are on our list but do you have any other suggestions for kids?
Thanks.
flossy_h is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List