Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
The 260 Mile West Coast Wander - August 2019 - Day 24 - Pool's to Parade's

INDEX

Tuesday 27th August

We had a bit of a lie in this morning but we made sure we were all up for some breakfast. It was 9.30 by the time we were tucking into some yummy morning food and I quite liked how this later time made for a more relaxed experience.

Before setting off on this trip we had penciled in a day to visit a nearby beach, Huntington Beach was at the top of the list but we discussed it and because we were all loving the parks we decided not to bother with a beach day. Instead we’d have a bit of pool time at the hotel.

Walked over to California Adventure where we picked up some fastpasses for Soarin first. The wait time was only 20 minutes but the faspass was only 10 so it made sense to get one.

Had a look in the nearby shops and then got a return time for Radiator springs Racers.

Soarin was amazing again I don’t think I’ll ever tire of watching this. We lucked out and got seated on row 1 so we had no dangling feet to obscure the view.

I got a fastpass for Guardians of the Galaxy next which wasn’t really needed but it meant that we were able to walk straight on.

I thought the theming in here was very good. Once the ride started we were up and down loads of times. I enjoyed it but what didn’t agree with me was the feeling as we kind of hovered between the floors. This sensation made my stomach flip! I still enjoyed this version but I did come off feeling a bit queasy!

Walked over to Grizzly Point where we got a fastpass for the river run. While we waited we had a look around the shops which reminded us of the shop in Yosemite.

Our time soon came around and we were soon spinning down the wild river! Because it was such a hot day we didn’t mind getting a little wet but as we came to the last section of the river where the big geyser blows up there was a bit of a back up of rafts. That meant that we were positioned directly underneath the geyser which was in full swing, we all got drenched!

Continuing along we walked over to Pixar Pier to pick up some fastpasses for Incredicoaster. It must not have been busy as they could be used straight away. This time though Scott went on with Hayden and Jamie so he could experience the thrill of Incredicoaster.

Our ride was a little tame in comparison we had a turn on Jessie’s Critter Carousel which was so much fun.

We met back up with the boys where Scott said he’d really enjoyed the Incredicoaster.

Our return time was now open so we walked over to Radiator Springs passing through the Pacific Wharf along the way.

Still amazed at how fabulous Car Land is and we had a look around before our race.

The fastpass line for Radiator Spring Racers for super long but the wait was so worth it for this super charged ride which we won!

Feeling a little peckish we popped over to the Cozy Cone Motel as Poppy wanted one of the cones from there. Poppy opted for the bacon mac n cheese.

Jamie and Hayden didn’t fancy anything from there so we took the short walk over to Pacific Wharf where they got some yummy clam chowder in bread bowl and a turkey club sandwich.

Seeing and smelling all that delicious bread in Boudin Bakery gave me a real craving for some so I picked up a large sourdough Mickey. Along with some little packets of butter this is what Scott and I nibbled on and oh my word it tasted so good!

Picked up a return for Midway Mania and then a parfait as Jamie wanted to try one this time. He had to eat fairly quick as it was melting so quickly in the heat.

Scott took the kids on the Silly Symphony Swings next. I sat this one out as I thought it might make me feel a bit sick with the swings spinning around.

It did look like a great ride and actually they weren’t up in the air for long so I probably would’ve been ok? Anyway they all enjoyed themselves.

Time to ride Toy Story Midway Mania next and I sat with Poppy on this occasion. I managed to get best in vehicle score unfortunately for Scott though his launcher wasn’t working!

It was now 4.30 so we decided to leave the park and go back to our hotel for a while. It’s a real shame that there weren’t any afternoon parades here would have loved to have seen one.

We had a nice couple of hours around the pool where we managed to cool off and chill out.

Nicely rested and refreshed we walk back over to the parks. We arrived just after 8pm and people were already sat down on the pavements on Main St. We spotted a space a little way down Main Street and thought that we may as well just stay and wait as there wasn’t much we’d be doing otherwise.

It didn’t take long for the time to pass by and then the Electrical Light Parade began.

Oh what a joy to hear that music it’s just makes you feel so happy. Loved watching every bit of this fantastic parade we love it so much.

Decided to stay on Main Street to watch Disney Forever we walked a little further though to avoid the people who were leaving the park. Again our view wasn’t the best of the castle but we wanted to see the projections along Main Street.

Of course when Frozen we knew that they’d be snow but like the previous night it was a wonderful experience and seeing the different projections definitely added to our enjoyment.

Afterwards we realised that we’d not eaten properly for some time. The nearest place to us was the Plaza Inn where we had some of their delicious fried chicken with mash and veg. Poppy and Jamie wanted another corndog though so we popped to the cart just outside.

Next was our Matterhorn ride which was even more terrifying in the dark! It was still really busy here.

Just had time for one more ride before the park closed and it had to be one of our new favourite’s Indiana Jones which much to our delight wasn’t busy. Fantastic ride!

The second ELP had started so we had to walk down behind the back of shops on Main Street in order to exit the park. The cast members kept directing us all out and it was 11pm we eventually left Disneyland.

On our way back we popped into the CVS store to grab a couple of soda drinks as we’d had enough of drinking water.

Back at our hotel I had a hot chocolate, so enjoying my bedtime drink.

We changed then went to bed just before midnight. It had been a late one but so worth it!

Steps - 29,294
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
LozzaManse
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Another great day. Will be interested in your overall thoughts of
Orlando v California!
LozzaManse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Your step count on these days is seriously woah & that’s with a rest too! The kids did amazing to keep up but I know you all do a lot of walking. I wonder what your total was miles wise for your whole holiday (now that’s a task for you )

I love a pool break rest as much as the parks sometimes. Feels such an indulgence when you’ve been so busy and it’s so hot.

How did you find the weather given it was August? I wouldn’t contemplate Orlando isn’t the summer as Richard hates it “too hot” but I’ve been told California isn’t as humid.

Matterhorn sounds great fun! Even better in the dark!

The electrical parade music is just <3

Thanks for getting another day up so quickly Julia! I’m feeling pants we’ve cancelled our October (Orlando) trip and it’s a lovely bit of Disney xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Pool, parks and the Electrical Light Parade make a great day. Your food sounds nice especially Poppy’s cone and your Mickey loaf looks huge!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by LozzaManse View Post
Another great day. Will be interested in your overall thoughts of
Orlando v California!
Thank you. It's difficult to compare as the parks are so different but we loved Disneyland and California Adventure
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Your step count on these days is seriously woah & that’s with a rest too! The kids did amazing to keep up but I know you all do a lot of walking. I wonder what your total was miles wise for your whole holiday (now that’s a task for you )

I love a pool break rest as much as the parks sometimes. Feels such an indulgence when you’ve been so busy and it’s so hot.

How did you find the weather given it was August? I wouldn’t contemplate Orlando isn’t the summer as Richard hates it “too hot” but I’ve been told California isn’t as humid.

Matterhorn sounds great fun! Even better in the dark!

The electrical parade music is just <3

Thanks for getting another day up so quickly Julia! I’m feeling pants we’ve cancelled our October (Orlando) trip and it’s a lovely bit of Disney xx
Oh Michelle my lovely the answer is in the title of the trip report

The weather was hot aybe more than we were expecting but there wasn't any humidity so it was so much more easier to cope with. We weren't sweating at all which was such a difference compared to Orlando!

It really is a great ride Michelle

I'm so sorry you've had to cancel your trip. I know your kids are young so you've still got plenty of time to experience the Disney magic.

I'l be following along when you go back xx
Old 15 Jul 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Pool, parks and the Electrical Light Parade make a great day. Your food sounds nice especially Poppy’s cone and your Mickey loaf looks huge!
We had another fab day and the parade was a perfect end to it.

I could so eat some of that sourdough bread right now!
Old 16 Jul 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

How nice to get a little chill out time at the pool today after a busy morning. A nice mix today of new rides and favourites from other days. That mickey sourdough bread is massive! Did you eat it all?

Another fab end to the day with the electrical parade and the fireworks again. The projections look great... how does it compare with Happily Ever After?

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List