Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Sep 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Now I think about it regular Dibber and Florida resident DonnaD has said earlier that you might still see a camera flash even with VTP
absolutely. Sometimes toll devices fail to transmit (happens to me sometimes in france) so they will just pick up your car as if it was a violation

then files and lists are cross-referenced and that's where it stops at.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Hold up a mo, when did Alamo start automatically doing this? Or am I reading this wrong, & its something they ask you if you want it. We always pay our way thru tolls, have never been asked by Alamo if we want to use the Sunpass system, should we have been? We have never had extra payments on our CC from Alamo for Tolls? We last went in 2016 has it only recently been automatically added to your agreement or as I said am I reading all this wrong?
Old 9 Sep 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Hold up a mo, when did Alamo start automatically doing this? Or am I reading this wrong, & its something they ask you if you want it. We always pay our way thru tolls, have never been asked by Alamo if we want to use the Sunpass system, should we have been? We have never had extra payments on our CC from Alamo for Tolls? We last went in 2016 has it only recently been automatically added to your agreement or as I said am I reading all this wrong?
All tolls in Florida operate on a "toll by plate" system where your plate is photographed if you pass through a toll plaza without stopping. They all have slightly different admin fees which they add on to any toll costs. All explained here but please BEWARE the Dollar system. The credit card that they swiped at the barrier will be charged with the toll costs and Alamo admin fee.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

If you drive through lanes where you pay cash then that's all you pay. If you drive through without stopping you will automatically trigger Sunpass. You don't have to agree to it or refuse it when you pick the car up - EXCEPT DOLLAR. Nothing in the car to switch on or off.

The VTP works in the same way but currently without an admin fee.

Mick

Edited at 05:31 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Just to add (as I have some sort of reputation on here for posting this photo).

This is the first toll plaza on the 417 south after leaving MCO. You'll see that all lanes are Sunpass enabled.

If you want to pay cash then keep in the right hand lanes and give the attendant no more than a $20 bill. They will give you change for using at future unmanned tolls such as at j2 off the 417. You can ask for a receipt at manned tolls or press a button for one at unmanned tolls.

If you want to trigger Sunpass just stay in the two left lanes and whizz through at 65 MPH

Mick
Old 9 Sep 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

With regard to Alamos use of Sunpass there is usually a leaflet about how it works etc inside the map they give you when you check the car out of the garage at the airport.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

You can check your toll usage by accessing this website

htallc/en/tollpass/i...h?agency=alamo
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Thanks Mick, we are with Alamo from Sanford as usual and we never go through anything other than the Pay Toll, I already have my bag of quarters ready, donated from American friends. Reading all the posts it sounded like Alamo was charging for your going through any lane of the tolls regardless & we have never been asked if we want Sunpass the last 3 times we have been with them.All cleared up then thank you.
Old 10 Sep 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Thanks Mick, we are with Alamo from
Sanford as usual and we never go through anything other than the Pay Toll, I already have my bag of quarters ready, donated from American friends. Reading all the posts it sounded like Alamo was charging for your going through any lane of the tolls regardless & we have never been asked if we want Sunpass the last 3 times we have been with them.All cleared up then thank you.
We haven't flown into SFB since 2008 when our old friends the original TCD went bust but I recall that the first toll on the 417 just before Lake Jessup was manned and maybe looked similar to my photo.

About a year ago there was a viral thread about Avis charging tolls to credit cards even though people had always paid cash.

Mick
Old 10 Sep 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
surfer69
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks for the advise RE Alamo & the visitor pass.
Don't usually do many toll roads, but just one less thing to think about whilst we're exploring Florida.
surfer69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List