Old 3 Jun 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Solo in Southampton - day 2 At sea

My cabin is an inside one and it’s lovely and pitch black, I still wake up at 6.30am the time I get up every day for work (to be fair I was asleep at 10.15pm) but the clocks have gone forward over night.

I read my book for a bit then decide to throw on the clothes I was wearing last night and run to breakfast in one of the main dining rooms.

I’m put on a table for 8, and all the other guests are very friendly, even though I do find the older gentleman raving about his lambs liver slightly unfortunate at this time in the morning. I order a selection of items from the full English and have apple juice. It’s nice.

This is where some of my issues arise, I am intolerant to dairy milk, but also am not supposed to drink soya due to being hypothyroid, I phoned and they assured me unsweetened almond milk will be available.

Well it is, but apparently only in the buffet, not in the main dining rooms, or as it turns out Java the costa on board. I head there to ask and a really snide server sneers at me whilst telling me they only have skimmed. I’m feeling a bit sad, so I head to reception to try to sort it out, the receptionist is great, and orders a jug to my cabin so I can at least have a coffee.

I don’t have time to go back to my cabin now, as it’s the solo travellers morning tea. I head there and decide I won’t bother asking for the milk, and just order a peppermint tea. Well apparently I can’t do that, as the bar isn’t actually open, it’s just tea or coffee. I’m really thirsty but say nothing.

After a chat and loose promises of meeting up for a quiz later, I head back to my cabin in the hope of a coffee, well no sign of the milk yet, I think I’m going to have no choice but to take a flask of it around with me, I would have brought my own, but they sounded so sure on the phone.

My cabin hasn’t been made up yet, but I decide to rest and read my book for a bit. I change my reservation for tonight’s dinner for earlier, the Stephen Mulhern astonishing show is on tonight at 8.30 and 10.30 and I’m just not sure with my early start if I can manage 10.30, I’m usually in bed by then, and it’s our first port tomorrow.

I decide to go to the quiz, so I change into new clothes and rinse my coffee flask out. I head up to the buffet in search of almond milk, and a nice chef fills my flask for me, it’s not out on display.

I then walk down 10 flights of stairs (calves are already twinging) down to Java and ask them to make a cappuccino with the milk in my flask. Well the server only goes and pulls a carton of almond milk out of the fridge. Unbelievable...

With my coffee I head to Brodie’s bar and join the ladies team in the battle of the sexes quiz, another solo traveller is there, and we have a chat. I enjoy it and I’m glad I made the effort. The ladies win too.

Hungry again, it’s 1pm by this point, I decide to try the Sindhu lunch, it’s like an Indian tapas and I order the chicken wings, cream cheese fritters and lamb curry with my first wine of the day, a NZ Sauvignon blanc.

I feel bad for trying all the select dining so early in the cruise, and not actually having had lunch or dinner yet in the main dining room, but I suppose at least it gives me an idea if I want to return later on in the cruise.

They bring me a complimentary mango lassi which I’m not sure if I should drink, I can’t remember if it’s yoghurt or milk, so I just have a taste, then my food is there super quick. It’s very nice but very spicy (and I’m good with spice) and fairly rich and heavy. I think I’m going to regret it; so I make the decision to head to my cabin to have a lie down and a read of my book for a bit.

I decide that I will do the evening Sindhu one night, but won’t do the lunch on the last sea day, but try the main dining room instead.

The next thing I fancy is the 3.15pm showing of Mary Poppins returns, I had planned to try some dance classes, but I saw one this morning and it’s very exposed in the Atrium and I bottle it. I’m also full of food.

I end up watching some downloaded TV on my iPad, then headed to Malabar one deck down for Mary Poppins. The bar is closed so I head to Brodie’s and get a rekorderlig and settle down, I really enjoy this.

It’s then time to get ready for dinner, I head back to my cabin and my milk has appeared. Yay.. I have a quick shower but don’t wash my hair, just a squirt of dry shampoo and the straighteners, it’s formal night tonight and I pop a dress on, and head to Epicurean for 6.

I had really debated this one as it was £28 cover charge, my lovely DH would have adored it, smoked salmon, whole Dover sole, lobster etc, but I decide to give it a try.

Again there are 3 customers, and 7 staff, yet it takes 15 minutes for me to get my wine, it’s crazy.

They bring me some beautiful breads with normal butter and marmite butter, followed by a Bloody Mary lollipop which is bloody awful 😂

I order the cheddar cheese mousse with Serrano ham. This was nice, but probably would have been really lovely warmed through. It was fridge cold which was fine, but I think hot might have been nicer.

Whilst I’m eating we have a lot of calls on the tannoy. There is an engine fire and they are calling for engineers, first aiders and everyone you can think of really. The captain eventually pops on to say everything under control. Phew..

I then ordered the Irish fillet with ox cheek and chips and green beans on the side. I asked for rare/ medium rare, and it was a beautiful piece of meat, but cooked at least medium. I mention it to the server when she asks how things are who brings the restaurant manager over. He tells me that’s cooked medium/well which I would have to agree with. They offer to swap it out for me but I have eaten my chips, beans and other bits, so I graciously decline. I ate the rarer bits in the middle and I can never manage 3 courses anyway.

I may have mentioned I have no sweet tooth, but cheese... cheese grommit. So I order the selection of cheeses. Yum...

Whilst I was waiting they bought me a palate cleanser of vodka jellies, lemon sorbet, edible petals and I think a gin infusion, not being able to eat ice cream I love sorbet so this is well received, I leave the jellies.

The wine list is amazing in here, unfortunately they have my favourite wine in the world but it’s over the package price. As I have to pay the whole thing over the package I decide not to, as £9 a glass is a bit steep for me.

I’ve enjoyed this on the whole, but I won’t come back again this trip, £28 pp supplement for food alone is expensive. I got a complementary port by ordering the cheese, but having the drinks package anyway not that relevant, I end up gifting it to a gentleman on the next table who doesn’t have a package and receives it gratefully. My DH loves port but it’s a bit strong for me.

A lovely petit fours trolley arrives and I choose a couple, I’m stuffed full of cheese though so only manage one and a half.

I order the bill as it’s 30 mins off the show starting, and one of my wines is on at full price, I ask why when it’s £6.50 a glass and under the £6.95 limit for the package, to be told that one isn’t included. This was not explained to me and I’m afraid I do complain. I absolutely hate complaining, but I have no interest in paying extra. I end up having a fairly big row with them, who just keep insisting it’s not included in the package, when my package paperwork says any drink under £6.95, it ends up in a real debate, with a complete computer says no attitude. I’m not impressed and request reception to contact me to discuss.

I get it sorted and head down 11 flights of stairs to the show. They give us golden envelopes that we aren’t supposed to open yet. I’m really excited about this, order a rose from a winery owned by Brad Pitt and grab a chair. The theatre is absolutely packed and I’m glad I got here slightly early, most groups are separated by 8.25pm and by half past there is not a seat in the house.

I thought this was really good, yes there was a bit of filler singing and dancing; but the tricks especially the envelope one are very good, 75 minutes well spent.

I get the lift up to the planet bar as there is live music starting shortly. I order a pina colada and a bottle of water, this bar is heaving and the music is country which is not really my thing. I decide to walk down the stairs to the bar on the floor below me, only 11 flights! There is an Ed Sheeran tribute on at 10.45 which is probably too late, but I figure I’ll see if the music before grabs me more.

I grab another cocktail but the music before the Ed Sheeran guy is instrumental orchestra type and also not really my thing, I umm and ahh for a bit but then find a comfy chair. I watch only a few songs as he was late on, then head to bed about 11.

Tomorrow we are in Stavanger and I head to bed.. We can go offshore at 9 so I’ll aim for that, alarm for 8

Thanks for reading

Edited at 09:12 AM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What a shame about the service in the restaurant not what is expected from one of the more expensive cruise lines.

Same goes for the almond milk fiasco; it seems very un-customer service friendly.

Apart from these hiccups it sounds like you had a good day and I look forward to reading more.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
What a shame about the service in the restaurant not what is expected from one of the more expensive cruise lines.

Same goes for the almond milk fiasco; it seems very un-customer service friendly.

Apart from these hiccups it sounds like you had a good day and I look forward to reading more.
Hiccups is a great word really. I’m having a lovely time overall but there are just a couple of thongs that could be done better.
Thanks for reading
Old 3 Jun 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Gosh I havent heard of this kind of issue before on any cruise I have been on, if you even utter the words almond milk or gluten free etc a member of staff would run all over the ship to bring it for you right away usually! They sound a bit nit picky to me. Well done for doing the quiz, sounds fun. My next crise am sharing a four berth bunk cabin with three men, (hubby son and nephew) your inside cabin sounds bliss! Might have to book one just for myself...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
How frustrating with your ‘milk’ problems but glad to hear you’ve found a solution by having your own flask, even though you’d have thought P&O/Azura could have dealt with this a whole lot better than they did.

We ate in Epicurean on Ventura a few years back and really enjoyed it, never got the chance to try out Sindhu. How kind that you gave your complimentary Port to another diner, bet you made his evening!

Hope you’ve had a fun day in Stavanger.

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a good day apart from your couple of hopefully small problems
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I have exactly the same issue with milk so that would have really annoyed me. It’s not difficult to just keep a carton of almond milk in the fridge for people like us. Enjoying your report, thanks for sharing.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List