Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Aug 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile Hawaii flights?

Hi all,

Question if I may - next week I could book flights, at a price I’m happy with, for next summer from London to Seattle & then Austin to London, through BA. But this would leave me with needing to book flights from Seattle to Honolulu & then Honolulu to Dallas in the middle of my trip.

I could book the whole lot through BA, but then we are looking at silly money (for four of us , the first four flights above will be less than £3k, but by adding the two Hawaii related flights the price jumps to nearly £8k! )

What would you guys do? I’m wanting to book the BA flights when my return date is actually up (next weekend), and then was thinking I would just wait and book the Hawaiian legs individually (there are several direct flight options from Seattle to Honolulu, and whilst there is only really one direct option from Honolulu to Dallas, I would consider indirect as currently the direct price is over £650 each!)

I’m just nervous as I’ve never really booked part journeys like this before, and as the main part of the trip is actually Hawaii, not booking that part would actually make the BA flights pointless!

Anyone had this sort of dilemma before? What did you do? And did it end up backfiring and costing you an arm and a leg? ! 😂 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We did something similar a few years ago. Flew Manchester to Phoenix and stayed in a hotel overnight. Next day flew on to Honolulu on a different airline (not code share). On the return we spent a week in Arizona so not as risky.
It worked well for us but a lengthy delay outbound would have been problematic and expensive.
Edit: obviously my memory is fading, my wife has just reminded me that it was 12 years ago 😱 and we did have a problem on the outbound flight. Our onward connection from Philadelphia to Phx was cancelled. We stayed in a hotel at the airport and flew to Phx next morning (via Charlotte). Fortunately our bags were in Phx. Quite a drama really!😂

Edited at 08:21 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

There are flights all the way to Hawaii for sale from various U.K. airports for between £5-£600 each (plus baggage) from Nov 19 to May 20 - I suspect a month or so too early for you but thought I’d mention it.

I’d travel in whatever way was most cost effective, booking separately or not. Check out South West who are now flying to Hawaii.

We paid £310 return from Seattle to Oahu and then Maui to LAX but that was not in summer. U.K. to USA flights were cash and miles.
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you’re looking too early maybe which is why the prices are so high
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That’s great karen thank you xxx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Mobile

We booked London-San Francisco/Chicago-London with BA a couple of years ago, then SF-Honolulu/Honolulu-Chicago with United at a later date. I think the Hawaii flights cost around £2400 for 4 of us.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Willeve View Post
We booked London-San Francisco/Chicago-London with BA a couple of years ago, then SF-Honolulu/Honolulu-Chicago with United at a later date. I think the Hawaii flights cost around £2400 for 4 of us.
Sorry for the delay in replying - just got back from holiday!

That’s really helpful - thank you 👍
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Amy there are flights UK to Hawaii from Nov 19 to July 20 from £400 return, according to Jacks Flight Club. I didn’t find any that low but found loads at £600 return which I consider a decent price to Hawaii.
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Amy there are flights UK to Hawaii from Nov 19 to July 20 from £400 return, according to Jacks Flight Club. I didn’t find any that low but found loads at £600 return which I consider a decent price to Hawaii.
Thank you Karen, I will check that out x

We are looking to go on 31st July (I have to work until 30th!) and then back on 18th August in time for Kai’s GCSE results. The added complication is that we want to return via Texas -I’m looking to spend a couple of days in and around Dallas/Fort Worth stockyards and then finishing with a few nights in San Antonio - somewhere I’ve always fancied. BA have a good price for a premium economy direct flight back from Austin which I admit is making me itching to book, but that would mean booking Lon-Seattle and then Austin -Lon now and waiting for the Hawaii prices.

But after reading your comments about an afternoon/evening not being enough to see what I want in Seattle, I’m thinking about waiting and just booking an indirect flight directly to Honolulu all in the one day, and having an extra night there instead -but BA don’t have prices for that at the minute, so that would mean I’d have to wait & hope for my Austin flight! and I’m not overly patient! 😂
Old 1 Sep 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thank you Karen, I will check that out x

We are looking to go on 31st July (I have to work until 30th!) and then back on 18th August in time for Kai’s GCSE results. The added complication is that we want to return via Texas -I’m looking to spend a couple of days in and around Dallas/Fort Worth stockyards and then finishing with a few nights in San Antonio - somewhere I’ve always fancied. BA have a good price for a premium economy direct flight back from Austin which I admit is making me itching to book, but that would mean booking Lon-Seattle and then Austin -Lon now and waiting for the Hawaii prices.

But after reading your comments about an afternoon/evening not being enough to see what I want in Seattle, I’m thinking about waiting and just booking an indirect flight directly to Honolulu all in the one day, and having an extra night there instead -but BA don’t have prices for that at the minute, so that would mean I’d have to wait & hope for my Austin flight! and I’m not overly patient! 😂
Haha I know!

If you’re getting an awesome price it may be worth booking. It depends how awesome it is. I confess since it’s just been Jon & I flying we’ve started going PE or UC when it’s affordable as two seats are easier to bear than four ! I wonder if South West are flying to Hawaii from Love Field (Dallas)?