Old 3 Jun 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Solo in Southampton - day 1

I was up before my alarm with a mixture of excitement and nerves.
I popped down to make tea and coffee to bring back to bed, and I let the pup up for uncharacteristic bed snuggles whilst I dragged my straighteners quickly over my hair.
Quick breakfast of toast and Nutella, and then I filled my coffee flask and my water bottle and DH loads my bag into the car for me.
Kisses and cuddles later, and I set off for my very long drive down south.
The drive starts of well and I manage to get all the way to Newbury before I have to stop for a wee, unfortunately from here the traffic is awful, it’s a boiling hot day and everyone is heading to the beach. It ends up taking me over 4 hours with only the briefest stop.
A very very kind dibber has let me park on her drive for the week, and I get here and park and request an Uber.
After two Uber’s cancel on me, one very nice gentleman does come and is delighted as it’s on his way back home, he lifts my case out for me and I’m into check in.
The process is very quick and smooth and before I know it I’m on the ship.

I’m hot, bothered and starving by this point so I try to get a couple of jobs done quickly. First was to change my dining, they had given me the early slot, when I really wanted freedom so I went to get it changed.
Next was select dining. I fancied all of the select dining really and I had heard there was offers and little stands on board offering money off if you booked for the first day. I went via all of them, and absolutely nothing doing.
The champions league final is on at 8, and there is a juggler/comedian on at 10.30 if I’m still awake, so I decide that because it’s 25 degrees here in Southampton to I decide to try to snag a table at Beach house outside at about 6.30.

I head to the buffet and grab a plate of food, my first plate was a bit random with salmon, rice, bread and duck stir fry, then I spot the roast beef and Yorkshire’s, I’m starving so I grab another plate and have a mini roast. It’s all hot and pleasant enough, but buffets aren’t really my thing so I vow to try not to eat here too much.

Popping to my cabin my bag Is still not there, I’m desperate to get out of my jeans and trainers and into a dress and flip flops.

I decide to sign up to the unlimited drinks package, then head up to the pool area for a frozen Margarita. It’s very tasty but service is very slow despite there being only a few people up here so far.

I’ve left my newsletter in the cabin, and I really do want a shower and change, so I decide to go and try to get my reservation when a waiter comes round taking bookings. He needs to get back to me, so I decide to order a rose wine whilst waiting. He comes back to give me the thumbs up so I finish my wine whilst listening to some live music and then head back down again, sticking to my self imposed rule of always walking down the stairs, and walking up if 3 floors or under.

My bag has turned up and I am informed that the drill is at 4.30pm, so I shower, change, and give my DH a quick ring because I might not get to speak to him tomorrow as I’m at sea for the day.

The drill is quick and businesslike and I drop my life jacket back before heading up to deck 18 to the planet bar for a drink. I decide to avoid the sail away party and I head to the quiet cocktail bar at the top of the ship to watch us leave Southampton, I have a Singapore sling. I can have up to 15 alcoholic drinks on my package, I won’t manage that but it’s nice to try new things. Engines are fired and we’re off! Yay...

It’s getting close to 6.30 so I head down the stairs to find the Beach house.

I stop on my way to make a reservation for the tasting menu at Epicurean for 7pm tomorrow on the first formal night.
Getting to the beach house they weren’t serving anyone outside but I did have an amazing table at the window. The views were stunning and there were so many sail boats out on the Solent.

It has a £7.50 supplement to eat at, but lots of dishes have extra supplements. I decide to stick to the free ones for now and order the burnt ends hash to start, this was odd. Not burnt ends at all more flaked beef brisket, but it was ok.

Then the halloumi grill plate. This is a bit like a TGI fajitas plate. It’s nice, but a lot of onions and pepper to bulk it out.

The setting for this restaurant is outstanding, and the friendliness second to none, but at more staff than diners this could have been made a bit more special, things like I had to chase a drinks order, but then my last glass wasn’t cleared, my water ordered was just dumped on the table In a plastic bottle not poured. Petty things that you wouldn’t notice if it was busy.

I decided it was worth the £7.50 for the view. I declined dessert, I don’t have a sweet tooth and I just didn’t fancy one but I did enjoy my wine with the beautiful view

I umm and ahh about sitting outside to watch the footie on the sea screen vs inside in the pub when I realise I have left my denim jacket either in the cocktail bar or the toilets, so I go on a rescue mission and thankfully find it.

I get off at the outside screen and it’s very windy and I’m in a skirt so I discount that, I then head down to Brodie’s and the screens are tiny and it’s packed, last shot is Manhattans, perfect spot with several massive screens.

DH is sending pics of the dog and I have a wine and watch Imagine Dragons warming up the final, the TV signal isn’t great though so I have a decision to make. Watch the match or the 8.30 comedian/juggler.

I’ve had a very long day and I’m now tired and full of wine and average food, I decide the footie is the right way to go, so I stay in my seat.

Unfortunately the signal is so awful that I don’t even get to see the penalty, so I change plans, I’m feeling a bit lost tonight, massive boat; little me.

I head towards the theatre instead and plonk myself near the back, I’m sensing an early night but he’s amazing, he’s a juggler/Comedian called John Udry, well he had me gripped, I loved it.

I came out and caught the last half an hour of the footie, ordered a Baileys and made my way to bed. It was 10pm but I’d been up since before 6 and I was exhausted.

Tomorrow was a day at sea and rest

Edited at 09:15 AM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

A long day but you are onboard yay! How lovely and kind of a dibber to let you park on their drive 🥰

Hope your dining experience improves, do they have a breakfast table for solo travelers?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a good embarkation day even if the food was a little meh!

Looking forward to reading all about it
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

This is great but what cruise line are you sailing?
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
This is great but what cruise line are you sailing?
Sorry i’ll link it to my pre-trippie when i’m on my laptop at home.

I’m on the P&O Azura
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
A long day but you are onboard yay! How lovely and kind of a dibber to let you park on their drive 🥰

Hope your dining experience improves, do they have a breakfast table for solo travelers?
No solo diners breakfast table but there are several meet ups a day.
I went to the first one but i’m not fussed on the whole this time, it’s only a week and i’m happy to just chat to people when I bump into them. There are no younger solos on this cruise that i’ve spotted so far x
Old 3 Jun 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Ah thanks for this - I will follow with interest as am looking at P&O next time. I have sailed Royal Caribbean from Southampton.
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
Ah thanks for this - I will follow with interest as am looking at P&O next time. I have sailed Royal Caribbean from Southampton.
I’ll try and write them up as quickly as I can, but if you have any specific questions welcome to PM me x
Old 3 Jun 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Glad you got your Uber ok (finally!) and you were able to relax on board after your long journey. Lots of passengers on my check-in shift were telling me about the nasty accident that caused a lot of delays - I was hoping you’d missed it.

Not surprised you were exhausted, finishing off with a Baileys sounds the perfect end to a long day!

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a long day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List