Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Aug 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
CazB
Very Serious Dibber

CazB's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 11
When we go we flight out economy but come back premium. We put a case within a case for flying out so if you had a slightly smaller case you could do it this way. (I too take my own bubble wrap to wrap up all my Bath and Body Work purchases). Out cases all have TSA locks on them and never had a problem with the locks getting broken when the cases have been searched.

Failing that I would spread the clothes that you are taking with you over 2 cases just to help with the weight as cases will be stored on top of one and other for your flight so would hate for your case to get ruined as a result.
2019 - Portofino
2023, 2024 - RPR
CazB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
If you’ve got a built in lock have you not also got a tsa lock on them? Like on my Tripp suitcases I can use a code to lock them but there is also a tsa lock to override the code. Like in this photo

The problem with using the inbuilt TSA locks is that if they can't open them for some reason (they don't have the correct key amongst their set, the key doesn't work etc) then they will possibly wreck the locking mechanism and possibly render the case unusable whilst getting in. This happened to my parents on their way back from the US a couple of years ago.

If you simply lock the zips together with a cheap padlcok (doesn't really matter if TSA or not - cheap ones will be cut for sure, but they're cheap enough to replace) they will simply cut the padlock off without damaging the case.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Surely there's no reason to lock it if it's only bubble wrap in it?
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Mobile

We always put a case inside a case,no problems. Also,when you buy candles in b&bw ask for packing crates which are basically the cardboard packaging the store gets them in and they will give you some to take home for free,protects them and weighs nothing. Shops also will wrap gifts in bubble wrap for you when they are breakable/fragile if you ask.
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If it will only have bubble wrap in it then I just wouldn't bother locking it either !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Having spoken to someone that works for the tsa they don’t want to cut a case open.
Every workstation has at least 1 tsa key, if the key doesn’t work because either it’s a non tsa lock or it’s a fake tsa lock then they need to call a supervisor and then drag the case to a workstation with cutting tools fill in a form and then cut the case open.

or they just cut the lock off which is much easier
Old 26 Aug 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

Surely they won't cut open a case, all you need is a ball point pen in the zip to separate the teeth and you're in, easy job and bypassed the locks
Old 26 Aug 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We also take bubble wrap for the same reason. We will have a lot of it in our case but will have other stuff in the case too. Find it useful padding to protect bits in the case.
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fancealot View Post
Surely they won't cut open a case, all you need is a ball point pen in the zip to separate the teeth and you're in, easy job and bypassed the locks
But then they can’t zip it up again as the pulls are still in the lock.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
The problem with using the inbuilt TSA locks is that if they can't open them for some reason (they don't have the correct key amongst their set, the key doesn't work etc) then they will possibly wreck the locking mechanism and possibly render the case unusable whilst getting in. This happened to my parents on their way back from the US a couple of years ago.

If you simply lock the zips together with a cheap padlcok (doesn't really matter if TSA or not - cheap ones will be cut for sure, but they're cheap enough to replace) they will simply cut the padlock off without damaging the case.
Just buy a cheap TSA lock. But my Samsonite has a TSA built in lock and has been opened many times by TSA without any damage at all. I did get damage to the lock by it being caught on the conveyor. Samsonite warranty soon had that changed out.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List